Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge- all work and no play? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge NatSci next year, pending AS results obviously, but I know one girl who went last year for a different course, and really doesn't enjoying it. She says there's just too much work, and no night life in the town. I know a few other people that went and seemed to really enjoy it.

Can anyone who goes please tell me that there is craic to be had? I'm definitely not against working hard, and I'm prepared for that, but I'm hoping there'll be something else as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge NatSci next year, pending AS results obviously, but I know one girl who went last year for a different course, and really doesn't enjoying it. She says there's just too much work, and no night life in the town. I know a few other people that went and seemed to really enjoy it.

Can anyone who goes please tell me that there is craic to be had? I'm definitely not against working hard, and I'm prepared for that, but I'm hoping there'll be something else as well.

There is loads of work and loads of play. You might find there's too much play actually - the experience is knackering! But I've found it very good fun so far overall. Be warned though that NatSci is probably the most work of all the courses, at least as far as contact time is concerned - Saturday morning lectures! But it's worth it as far as I'm concerned.

There are loads of opportunities for doing loads of things, as long as you can make time for them; the nightlife probably isn't wonderful (not my thing so wouldn't really know) but then London is only 45mins on the train It depends on you really as to whether you enjoy it or not.

ReputationRep:

What else would you expect from Oxbridge, they are what they are becasue of their hard intensive courses and no nonsense policy with a personal tutor so you dont hide or fall back. There are many other unis to choose from if you want a more active social life. Oxbridge is to go and study, not procrastination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    What else would you expect from Oxbridge, they are what they are becasue of their hard intensive courses and no nonsense policy with a personal tutor so you dont hide or fall back. There are many other unis to choose from if you want a more active social life. Oxbridge is to go and study, not procrastination.

I think that's a little harsh. Obviously it'll be hard work, and a vry intensive course. But you don't just put your life on hold. The social side of university is extremely important, and while the degree is of course the focus of your time there, and will take up the majority of that time, you can't shut yourself up in your room for 4 years. You need an all-round experience, for sanity's sake if nothing else.

The course will be my only real consideration when choosing a university as you can always make your own fun. I'm not going to shy away from it just because it's a little hard work. I was just curious...

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a little harsh. Obviously it'll be hard work, and a vry intensive course. But you don't just put your life on hold. The social side of university is extremely important, and while the degree is of course the focus of your time there, and will take up the majority of that time, you can't shut yourself up in your room for 4 years. You need an all-round experience, for sanity's sake if nothing else.

The course will be my only real consideration when choosing a university as you can always make your own fun. I'm not going to shy away from it just because it's a little hard work. I was just curious...
    Im not trying to be harsh nor frightening... I apologize

But really Oxbridge is different compared to the rest in most cases. Its not campus based so there aint no central point for clubs specially for students like in most unis.. well in some colleges they have a bar and a snooker table but its more like a common room with a licence to serve alcohol.

True that Oxbridge wasent what it used to be like as in pure elite class of students, the best of the best, but admissions tutors want people that will excell above the rest and not have their students wander to the local pub more often than they should.

True that 99% of students like to go out and have a nice time(like me), but if you considering Oxbridge consider more about your studies rather than social facilities of the location.

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually been in a college JCR/bar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Have you actually been in a college JCR/bar?
    I been to one and thats it, but from other members comments from differnet colleges it made me think that some colleges are the same, although the college im speaking about is post-graduate, they could differ alot from undergraduate colleges. One thing that im not sure tho is that people only really socialize with people from their own college bar or they intermix with other colleges.

But the main argument im stating is that it isnt like a campus based uni that there is a central place apart from exterior meeting bars/clubs. Some universities have a nightclub bang in the middle of the campus only for students and and asortment of bars and pubs near student acommodation.

ReputationRep:
    It's uni, you decide what you do with your time - there's plenty of opportunity to work/play as you wish. There's enough clubs and bops to cycle through on an intense week without having to revisit one twice.

Depending how you are with studies, you may be the sort that to go out every night would bring your degree to a 3rd or one that could maintain the high-energy work hard play hard routine and get a 1st nonetheless. It's all individual - you're not forced to do overzealous work. The only thing they expect of you is to be handing in homeworks/essays on time etc - which is kinda like being at 6th form/college.

ReputationRep:
    but admissions tutors want people that will excell above the rest and not have their students wander to the local pub more often than they should.

You DO know that Cambridge students are the second heaviest drinkers in the world, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    You DO know that Cambridge students are the second heaviest drinkers in the world, don't you?
    LOL.. no i did not actually, who are the first? ¿Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    LOL.. no i did not actually, who are the first? ¿Oxford?

Ummm... no actually. I'm working on hearsay here but my friend reckons it's the population of Stockholm. Must find out where he got his figures from! But when you're there in the evenings you know it's SO true

Im a medic. So working hard is a kinda motto.

But mate, and matesses out there, come here and crash and burn in competitiveness (unless your one of nearly 99% of those people who like it that way here!)

Putting u in the picture - I got firsts but I wouldnt play with (m)any of the putang here cos the craic aint real if ya know what I mean.

Why - degree in the bag (easier life) - and if you find a best mate along the way (who can cuss and give as good as you get) then ur ducking lucky.

Lots of lost souls getting depressed - you probably find 10% of people. 6 out of 12 on my floor (yeh i did them over ha haa...jk) and 3 properly DEpressed!

How to enjoy - join the bad asssss townie seen with proper music and chilling - at least they know how to be aggressive AND sober (cam people - drunk nearly all of them). Like RnB and proper dance? then stay well away from any cambridge/student outings; hit the "townie" night - ALWAYS go out on Fri&Sat nights - proper music. Like "few" (in big exclamations) cam can dance.

Top tip: if you can handle writting of an CANTAB or OXON then hit london or basicallly anywhere else!

PS. when I said no craic to be had in aint cos Im a nice boy....

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.