Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

European Festivals. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically me an a bunch of friends really want to go to a festival (or two) out on the mainland and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
    Preferably somewhere accessible by train (at least for the most part) and not too expensive considering we have to pay for transport etc etc.
    We're all 17 (but between us there is a fair amount of id) and of the indie persuasion but really anywhere that's got a good, lively atmosphere would be fantastic (:

Any recommendations?
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Paleo Festival in Nyon, near Geneva in Switzerland is really great. The atmosphere is really good because it's a pretty big venue (open air festival) but very chilled and people are really great to each other. There's generally a pretty good line-up of bands (www.paleo.ch you should find past years somewhere) and the great thing is that you can show up to the main stage like 20 mins before the band starts and quite easily get RIGHT at the front... oh and people are usually really respectful with moshing lol you can be an 11 year old midget at the front and not have to worry of being hurt or anything.

If you want more info PM me

EDIT: Oh and drinking age for beer and wine is 16, rest is 18 but you'll NEVER get IDed. ever.

ReputationRep:
    Benacassim in Spain.

ReputationRep:
    The few I can think of off the top of my head are Benicassim (Spain), Rock Werchter (Belgium) and Pinkpop (Netherlands). I don't really know the details of any of them though, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Sziget Sziget Sziget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    Sziget Sziget Sziget.
    Shhhhhhhh keep this a secret. It's only good because there's not an influx of Brits there.

ReputationRep:
    Les Vieilles Charrues (are ******* damn awesome) and Rock en Seine are pretty popular in France. If you're a fan of the celtic stuff, the Festival Interceltique de Lorient is pretty damn good, even if you just wanna have a laugh with your friends, the atmosphere is amazing, it's like the whole world becomes your best friend.

ReputationRep:
    Been to Wechter and Sziget - both rocked but RW 09 had a seriously amazing line up so I'd recommend checking that out.

ReputationRep:
    exit in serbia.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome- thanks everyone, gonna be checking these all out (:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I recommend Sziget as well, biggest festival In Europe by some counts, an absolutely amazing experience, PM me if you want to know anything about it

ReputationRep:
    pukkelpop in belgium?

ReputationRep:
    Exit looks awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Sziget!

ReputationRep:
    Rock Werchter is usually great... although admittedly the lineup is a bit strange this year. It has 4 days of music, and the top 2 bands on the main stage both get headliner slots of 90-120min.

Dead easy to get to. Eurostar to Brussels, then a train to Leuven. From the train station buses leave to the festival site.

Roskilde is always worth a shot. Biggest festival in Europe... although it's in Copenhagen so I imagine it works out as quite expensive in the end. Everyone should do Roskilde once in their life though (I still haven't got round to it, but next year hopefully!)

ReputationRep:
    anyone see the paleo line up that just came out? looks shocking

ReputationRep:
    You can look up articles on Wikipedia complete witht his years line-ups, the most promising seem to be:-

Wrechter (Belgium)
    Benicassim (Spain)
    Open'er (Poland)
    Sziget (Hungary)
    Exit (Serbia)
    INmusic (Croatia)
    Roskilde (Denmark)
    Pinkpop (Netherlands)

ReputationRep:
    Roskilde is cool.

ReputationRep:
    Still can't decide where to go :facepalm2:

Looking like Sziget or Exit now, possibly Open'er as it's so damn cheap :beard:

(Original post by Colbert)
    Still can't decide where to go :facepalm2:

Looking like Sziget or Exit now, possibly Open'er as it's so damn cheap :beard:
    Go to Pukkelpop ffs.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.