Turn on thread page Beta

road trip around western/central europe watch

ReputationRep:
    hi

me and a few mates (probably around 12 of us) are thinking of taking a couple of cars and driving around europe this summer on a road trip. we're all at least 18 so we're okay in regards to driving. i have a few questions which hopefully people who have expereianced these kind of trips could answer for me.

1) first of all the obvious one how did you find the trip, was it enjoiyable also any places you recommend visiting?

2) to save money on accomodation as this is gonna be a two week trip we were thinking of just campoing on the side of the road in quiet deserted areas miles out of the way, we will be setting up camp late and shipping out early (9am ish) would we be okay doing this or could we get in some serious trouble with the law

3)any car insurance experts out there can give me any advice on anything i need to know regarding that

4)any one know if theres any unexpected costs which may be encountered

thankyou for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milner001)
    hi

2) to save money on accomodation as this is gonna be a two week trip we were thinking of just campoing on the side of the road in quiet deserted areas miles out of the way, we will be setting up camp late and shipping out early (9am ish) would we be okay doing this or could we get in some serious trouble with the law

4)any one know if theres any unexpected costs which may be encountered

thankyou for your help
    Maybe not serious legal trouble, but it's ill-advised for 12 people to camp by the side of the road and you may find it difficult to find a suitable place - one phone call from a passing motorist and your night may be ruined. Maybe a camp site or something similar would be better - check your routes and maps.
    I've seen and heard of a few people spending a few nights like this, usually when travelling (as opposed to touring).
    Are you sure you won't grow tired after a few nights like that? It will be very awkward if it's two weeks and 12 people -think about sinks, showers etc. - camp sites often have these facilities for a small fee.

With regards to money, take a a debit card linked to an account with not too much money in it (a few hundred pounds maybe). It'll work anywhere.

Maybe youth hostels too - you won't be doing much anyway, other than sleeping for a few hours, so a hotel is a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    problem is hostels are about 15 euros a night and camp[ sites about the same so it soon mounts up, as for washing and stuff i figured we could stoip at service stations and stuff and justy have a good wash there. Is it not allowed then to camp at the side of the roads obviously we wouldnt be on main roads just country lanes or equivelent

ReputationRep:
    any more advice please

ReputationRep:
    You won't get away with camping at the side of the road or sleeping in your car. Two weeks would cost roughly £200 for camping, some places are not €15/night, I know that for a fact.

As for places to go, it very much depends on what you want to do. Perhaps drive to Rome to begin with and then drive from there to Berlin, via Florence, Milan, Vienna, Munich and so forth, just get a map out and plot a few routes, though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.