Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So as part of the university experience I am required to make a presentation in front of an audience.

Problem is that I just can't do it. My heart beats so fast, I go red, I mumble and basically just freeze.

I have a presentation in less than a week.

Any tips?

I have a presentation also in less than a week, my plan is to get my dr to write a note detailing my social anxiety and suggesting I be allowed to write an essay on the topic instead.

ReputationRep:
    For your presentation, incorporate an introduction that you are 100% confident about, then if nothing else you will at least have the confidence of knowing the content of your presentation is right and not have that awful feeling when you know your tutor is about to ask you to elaborate or justify what you've just said.

Use the first few sentences you say to break the ice, have them rehearsed and committed to memory, to get you on your way, then there after use notes as pointers to keep you on track and make sure you don't miss anything out.

Imagine you are the boss. Sounds stupid but adopt a persona. I'm just like you amongst people on my course but when I teach at a local secondary school I can stand up and manage a class easily because I have been given a platform to speak from. Even if you are nervous act like this is your job, you've done it before and can do it better than anybody else.

Do a role reversal. Imagine they are naked, stupid, have chosen to come an listen because they are interested in what you have to say etc. whatever works for you, but imagining they are vulerable and you are calm and in control does work.

Remember that they are listening to what you have to say, facts about a certain topic i expect, so they aren't judging you personally, your appearance, personality etc. but absorbing what you can tell them about x y or z.

Use your hands to gesture, it gives the impression that you are engaged in what you are saying, hopefully causing them to be aswell. Also it means you aren't keeping your hands still where shaking/trembling can be more obvious.

These work for me, hope they don't sound too stupid. Best of luck with your presentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So as part of the university experience I am required to make a presentation in front of an audience.

Problem is that I just can't do it. My heart beats so fast, I go red, I mumble and basically just freeze.

I have a presentation in less than a week.

Any tips?
    If you went to the doctors and said you have been feeling like this all the time, he might say you have anxiety and give you some tablets for it like Beta Blockers, which you could take for your presentation, and save for any subsequent presentations.

Otherwise, just make sure youre really confident about what you are talking about because that really helps, and make sure your breating is deep and regular, before and during it.

ReputationRep:
    what type of audience, class mates or......?

ReputationRep:
    Its just something you can practice and get better at it. Nobody enjoys it, or is good at it first time.

The only things I would suggest is not to learn a script, just learn the topic. If you have powerpoint slides up then use those as your rough outline, it looks a lot better than reading from notes. Also without a script you cant get lost!

As I say, nobody enjoys it at first, but after a while you do learn to relax and get better.

ReputationRep:
    have a few beers beforehand and you're sorted. that's what I do anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a presentation also in less than a week, my plan is to get my dr to write a note detailing my social anxiety and suggesting I be allowed to write an essay on the topic instead.
    Coward.

ReputationRep:
    The more you do this, the easier it becomes. After 3/4 presentations you'll be able to speak in public just as easily as you can speak with your friends in the pub.

It's just a matter of experiencing it, seeing that it's not as bad as you're making it out to be, and practicing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maestro*)
    have a few beers beforehand and you're sorted. that's what I do anyways.
    This is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Coward.
    I don't see how this persons refusal to do a presentation makes them a coward.

Some people are happy to blend into the background through no fault of their own thus should not be made to present if they are physically and mentally unable to do so. In any case it is uncomfortable for the audience to watch a person like this 'perform'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby sexy)
    I don't see how this persons refusal to do a presentation makes them a coward.

Some people are happy to blend into the background through no fault of their own thus should not be made to present if they are physically and mentally unable to do so. In any case it is uncomfortable for the audience to watch a person like this 'perform'.
    They are not physically unable, and their mental inability is simply through cowardice. Whilst public speaking is challenging for most people, it is something which - when presented with it - the vast majority of us are willing to at least attempt.

In school and university it is required because it is an essential academic skill to be able to present and defend an argument or theory. It is an integral part of education and whilst I accept some people may not be as good at it as others, to try to weasel out of it is completely unacceptable. Universities are supposed to provide, as the name suggests, a universal and well-rounded education - there should be no opt-outs.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly... alcohol is the answer.

Not too much of course but enough to make you chilled. I've never done it before because I don't have a fear of public speaking but I have a friend who has done the same.

It'll calm you right down.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.