Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Sorry if my post seems stupid, i'm not too sure about UCAS and how some of it works.

Anyways, next year i'm hoping to apply for Economics at some top universities such as Warwick and Nottingham.

I'd also love to live in America when i'm older for a number of reasons, and i've heard about getting placement years at university. Sorry if this is incorrect, but a placement year is where the university sets up a job in another country, which can lead onto future job placements if all goes well. Thats what i've heard from others, if someone could clear this up, that would be great.

But yeah, I was wondering if I could find out about a placement year at certain universities (E.g. any available in USA), and when do you go about applying for a placement year?

If anyone could answer these questions, and provide some more information about a placement year, i'd greatly appreciate it. Also, is there anyone on TSR that is/was on a placement year?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    Bump...

ReputationRep:
    Its probably worth having a look at a few universities and their courses. For example at UEA they offer a Computing course with a year in industry abroad and it says the potential locations are Canada, Australia, etc. etc.
    So have a look at their courses and see if they mention it, if not then just email the department and ask about placement years; when they are, where they are and anything else you want to know.

ReputationRep:
    Bump again, just to see if anyone else has more info...thanks

ReputationRep:
    A placement year does not mean that the uni sets up a job in another country. A placement year, or year in industry, is simply when a student undertakes a year in a work placement related to their degree (usually in the 3rd year). It's not normally set up by the university, you have to do the work yourself. Essentially it's just like looking for graduate job, but it's only for a year. However, you can arrange to do this abroad if you wish, in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    A placement year does not mean that the uni sets up a job in another country. A placement year, or year in industry, is simply when a student undertakes a year in a work placement related to their degree (usually in the 3rd year). It's not normally set up by the university, you have to do the work yourself. Essentially it's just like looking for graduate job, but it's only for a year. However, you can arrange to do this abroad if you wish, in most cases.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.