Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I want to get my tongue pierced but I was wondering if you need to be 18 because I am only 17? And also is it really painful and difficult to talk afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the studio. I think most studios will do it at 16, although some may require parent's consent until you're 18. You'll probably have a lisp and find it awkward to eat properly for a few days - soup, mashed potato, ice cream, etc are all good, but avoid spicy or acidic things until it's healed as they could irritate the piercing. Make sure you go back after 2 weeks to get the bar downsized.

Some people find it painful, some don't. Either way, you'll live.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think you need consent?
    well my friend got her tongue pierced at 17
    yeah i think you have to eat softer foods for a bit?

ReputationRep:
    think twice before you undergo to this fashion statement because it's outcome will for lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenix06007)
    think twice before you undergo to this fashion statement because it's outcome will for lifetime.
    Unless there are serious complications, if you don't want it any more you can just take it out and it will heal very quickly, you don't have to have it forever.

ReputationRep:
    my flatmate got hers pierced a few weeks ago. For 2 weeks she had to live on liquid foods. If you do get it peirced dont complain about it all the time ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    Depends on the studio. I think most studios will do it at 16, although some may require parent's consent until you're 18. You'll probably have a lisp and find it awkward to eat properly for a few days - soup, mashed potato, ice cream, etc are all good, but avoid spicy or acidic things until it's healed as they could irritate the piercing. Make sure you go back after 2 weeks to get the bar downsized.

Some people find it painful, some don't. Either way, you'll live.
    Hey thanks so do you have to get a large bar to begin with? I am just wondering if I could keep it discreet like at work?

ReputationRep:
    What if it gets infected? :afraid: Inside your mouth. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you have to have a larger bar to allow for swelling. After 2 weeks ish, you should change it for a smaller bar. My sister had hers done and they gave her a smaller bar to change herself after 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you will be able to hide it for the first two weeks due to the lisping but once it's gone down it should be easy enough to hide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    What if it gets infected? :afraid: Inside your mouth. :cry2:
    Generally oral piercings are harder to get infected, and it doesn't happen very often. The trick is to take care of it, and even if it does go a little weird, there's pretty much always something you can do it fix it :p:.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.