Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Voting for atheist MP ... Watch

• View Poll Results: Would a MP's atheism detract you from voting for him/her?
    Yes
    8.00%
    No
    57.60%
    It isn't important
    34.40%

Would a MP's atheism detract you from voting for him/her?

Just a poll as I am curious.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    No. If they were some gimpy new atheist type, then maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Surely no an it doesnt matter are the same? If it doesnt matter then it wont stop you voting for him/her.

ReputationRep:
    Probably more likely to over someone who isn't tbh. Not that I'd discriminate, but I'd feel a much greater affinity with an atheist candidate.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't vote for any religious person. Atheists deserve every vote.

(Original post by Democracy)
    Of course not.
    I'm looking at a poll and apparently 44% of teenage Americans won't vote for someone who is an atheist in 2005! I didn't realise it was that high!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    I'm looking at a poll and apparently 44% of teenage Americans won't vote for someone who is an atheist in 2005! I didn't realise it was that high!
    2005 =/= 2010
    America =/= Britian

Hopefully in 20 years when all the old idiots have died, religion will take a downturn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    ^^

(Original post by typiin)
    2005 =/= 2010
    America =/= Britian
    Gosh, thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    If you mean atheist as in anti-Islam then no it wouldn't detract me. Most likely it would attract me.

Do you know of any like this?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't matter to me as long as it didn't inform their policies.

ReputationRep:
    If they used the hey look at me I'm an atheist line then no.

If they didn't yes as long as they aren't Conservative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    Probably more likely to over someone who isn't tbh. Not that I'd discriminate, but I'd feel a much greater affinity with an atheist candidate.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Surely 'not important' is the same as 'no' here?

Anyway, I'd happily vote for anyone - I'd vote in a racist, alcoholic adulterer who spent his weekends amassing criminal accusations down at the local Scout hut provided that I thought he was up to the job and I agreed with his policies. I would not, for example, vote for someone who opposed religion or failed to appreciate the social role of the Church in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I'd insist on it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't vote for an MP since I'm not a British citizen but with regards to US legislators, it's just not important. The vast majority of Christian politicians in my area are socially progressive anyway, even to the point of being pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, etc. Although they are opposed to such measures in principle, they are also generally pragmatic when dealing with issues of political concern (i.e they don't let their faith spill into it). In the South, however, this is completely different.

Our only openly-atheist Congressman in the entirety of the United States is Pete Stark who, in case you didn't know, is a representative of the notoriously liberal state of California.

I replied "It isn't important" instead of "no" because I vote, er--plan on voting for politicians based on their political views and experience as opposed to their religious beliefs, or lack thereof.

ReputationRep:
    No it wouldn't.
    We are not a society that runs on and judges a person for not believing in God or not.

I am a Christian but if someone doesn't believe in God then that's their choice and it doesn't, and shouldn't have anything to do with the political choices they can and will make.

So no, it does not and should not have any significance when voiting for them.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't make me less likely to vote for them, and might even make me more likely to vote for them. I'd hope they could keep personal beliefs and governance separate, whereas I worry that Christians in government will always be more likely to be anti-gay, pro-life...things which I consider wrong as they're against this countries liberal beliefs.

But if it was their only selling point...just a weak candidate.

ReputationRep:
    I would vote for them rather someone who is a dedicated religious person. As long as their policies are in line with what I want from the country.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.