Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Voting for atheist MP ... watch

• View Poll Results: Would a MP's atheism detract you from voting for him/her?
    Yes
    8.00%
    No
    57.60%
    It isn't important
    34.40%

Id be more likely... its only a marginal thing, but obviously, being an atheist, I believe that atheism is more rational and sensible than theism and so said PPC would be more attractive to me as a candidate. Definitely not the most important factor

ReputationRep:
    Not important, in this country MPs generally don't bang on about religion anyway, Blair didn't even "admit" to being Catholic until after he resigned.

ReputationRep:
    As long as a candidate was able to separate their own religious or non-religious beliefs from their work then I would vote for them regardless. I would not vote for someone with extreme religious views (militantly pro-life/homophobic etc. etc. etc.) nor would I vote for someone with extreme anti-religious views.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As long as they don't try to impose their religious/non-religious views on me and others I wouldn't care ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Not important, in this country MPs generally don't bang on about religion anyway, Blair didn't even "admit" to being Catholic until after he resigned.
    at least in england, in N.I we have still got that PROD/CATHOLIC BURN IN HELL!! And people like iris rob don't help, why are all my MP's crazy??

ReputationRep:
    As an atheist - no, it wouldn't.

But I wouldn't vote for someone simply because they were or weren't an atheist. Lots of Labour party members are atheists, and I wouldn't dream of voting for all but a few respected Labour politicians [Frank Field ]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Would a MP's atheism detract you from voting for him/her?

Just a poll as I am curious.
    I would not vote for an openly atheist mp because i believe in secular humanism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Id be more likely... its only a marginal thing, but obviously, being an atheist, I believe that atheism is more rational and sensible than theism and so said PPC would be more attractive to me as a candidate. Definitely not the most important factor

that may be, but that doesn't mean an atheist is more rational or sensible than the next person :p:

Depends.

Between a moderate religious candidate and a fanatical atheist (see: Dawkins) I would vote for the religious candidate.

I don't appreciate zealots of any sort.

ReputationRep:
    I say not important... But subconsciously, I'd probably prefer an atheist MP over a Christian one.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm an atheist so it would be nice to have more MP's that don't pander to religious people, but it depends on the person and their political affiliation more than anything.

I won't say it doesn't matter entirely because it does, but in most situations it wouldn't be the defining point, that would be political party.

ReputationRep:
    I'm rather passionate about my Atheism, but I'd vote for someone based on their policies, not their religious beliefs.
    If they wanted to bring a load of religious **** into their politics and try to implement it into the country (more taxes for churches or whatever) then I'd smite the ******* down, but other than that I'm easy either way.

Yes, it is irrational to believe in something that isn't there, but as long as it doesn't interfere with what they're being paid to do then it don't make no neverminds to me.

(Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    I would not vote for an openly atheist mp because i believe in secular humanism
    Are they neccesarily mutualy exclusive?

ReputationRep:
    maybe, it depends what an individual defines an atheist to be, particularily in the context of this example! an mp being atheist would not be a selling point, for me anyway

ReputationRep:
    Probably not no, I hold economic policies in higher regard than social ones, even though i am catholic.

I was always under the impression that the whole point of secularism (besides the separation of church and state) is to allow the issues of religion to enter the discourse.
    Once you say that something about religion can't be discussed, it then sounds a bit anti-secularist ...

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between 'No' and 'It isn't important'?

(Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    maybe, it depends what an individual defines an atheist to be, particularily in the context of this example! an mp being atheist would not be a selling point, for me anyway
    An atheist is someone doesn't believe in God, surly?

(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    What's the difference between 'No' and 'It isn't important'?
    The difference is that I made the poll at 3am and it seemed logical (at the time) to put it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    The difference is that I made the poll at 3am and it seemed logical (at the time) to put it in.
    Oh right ok. :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.