Turn on thread page Beta

Voting for atheist MP ... watch

• View Poll Results: Would a MP's atheism detract you from voting for him/her?
    Yes
    8.00%
    No
    57.60%
    It isn't important
    34.40%

ReputationRep:
    I would still vote for an atheist MP, but I'am myself a christian.

Btw can anyone define God? I really want to know but cannot answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    No it wouldn't.
    We are not a society that runs on and judges a person for not believing in God or not.

I am a Christian but if someone doesn't believe in God then that's their choice and it doesn't, and shouldn't have anything to do with the political choices they can and will make.

So no, it does not and should not have any significance when voiting for them.
    I don't know about that - you could argue its a good way to assess character. Saying that, I'm atheist and dislike religion - but it doesn't bother me to the extent I've researched the religious beliefs of MPs I've voted for.

Blair praying to God while he was deciding whether he wanted to invade Iraq was quite disturbing from my viewpoint though.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter to me. Unless they're the fervent frothing at the mouth type, then I would not.

ReputationRep:
    No definitely not, government should be entirely secular imo so there is no need for it's MP's to have a religion as far as I'm concerned.

It wouldn't endear me to the candidate either though, I'd judge the two candidates on personality/party affiliation/what they said rather than their religious views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    I don't know about that - you could argue its a good way to assess character. Saying that, I'm atheist and dislike religion - but it doesn't bother me to the extent I've researched the religious beliefs of MPs I've voted for.

Blair praying to God while he was deciding whether he wanted to invade Iraq was quite disturbing from my viewpoint though.
    Hmm I'm not so sure about about that. If I vote for the Liberal Democrats I do so because of what they put on the table, promises, bills, the lot. I don't care if they are Christian, Muslim, Atheist, a Scientologist, or whatever else.

I won't judge a person because of their religion, nor will I not listen to what they have to say because of it.

If Blair did pray to God whilst deciding about Iraq well that was his personal choice, and truthfully I doubt it made much if any difference on the outcome, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Hmm I'm not so sure about about that. If I vote for the Liberal Democrats I do so because of what they put on the table, promises, bills, the lot. I don't care if they are Christian, Muslim, Atheist, a Scientologist, or whatever else.

I won't judge a person because of their religion, nor will I not listen to what they have to say because of it.

If Blair did pray to God whilst deciding about Iraq well that was his personal choice, and truthfully I doubt it made much if any difference on the outcome, do you?

I don't know if it made much of a difference - I don't know how deluded he was. For all we know he could feel he went into Iraq with God's blessing.

Like I said earlier, its not that big of an issue to me as I don't bother researching their religious beliefs at all - but (no offense intended to anyone) I generally see religious people as irrational, not a quality I want in an MP.

ReputationRep:
    Clegg's an atheist, isn't he?

ReputationRep:
    No. If they were religious, it could detract my vote. But only if they were fairly extreme with their interpretations of said religion.

ReputationRep:
    It really shoudn't matter, it should only matter if their personal beliefs affect how they make decisions. If they affect them badly then I would not vote for them, same goes for any religous MP.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.