Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last week in the snow/ice, i went round a corner a bit too quickly and went up the kerb. The steering on my car has been out since then. My friend is a mechanic and has replaced the suspension and steering hub, but this hasn't made any difference at all and he says he cannot see anything else wrong (apart from that the steering is about 15 degrees out!). Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Did you get the tracking done? What car is it?

ReputationRep:
    Vauxhall Astra 1.8 SRi. My friend says it wasn't the tracking, even though the wheels are way out of line. May take it to a garage just to make sure though.

ReputationRep:
    If the wheels are out of line then the geometry/tracking must be bust. Did you even check the tracking its a free check at some places

ReputationRep:
    No can't say I did just assumed my friend was right. Will have it checked first thing tommorow, what else could it possibly be?

ReputationRep:
    Your friend evidently doesnt have a clue what hes on about.

Take it to a garage where they will check the tracking and at the same time look and see if it can be adjusted back again or whether you need new parts. At a guess I would say you've bent something, but without having a look myself then its hard to know what.

ReputationRep:
    When you say the steering is out do you mean the car is pulling to one side or when you have the steering wheel straight the tyres dont match?
    If its pulling it could be something as simple as tyre pressures. or it could be anything worse to do with suspension, steering rack, column.. whatever.
    Its usually tracking if you just knocked it. Hi-Q do a free test £10-20 quid if its out.

ReputationRep:
    Had a similar thing on my old car (VW Polo) a few months ago. Hit a roundabout kerb after skidding on a diesel spillage. To it to Kwik Fit and they sorted it for £15. The had to alter the tracking and adjust the steering so that the steering wheel pointed straight. Very impressed with the service.

ReputationRep:
    Turned out it needs new shocks and a suspension leg, then the tracking redone. Can see this getting quite expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, how fast were you going!? Is the wishbone ok? To break the suspension like that, I would be checking the chassis was straight and true before proceeding to be honest with you mate.

ReputationRep:
    Can you let me know the garage your friend the mechanic works at to make sure I never visit it?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need two new shocks? :confused: I guess you only hit one side... Springs are very hard to break too. Sounds like you're being taken for a ride unless you properly plowed into that kerb. If you did that much damage from a simple impact I would get them to check other things too as Gbduo said. I'd take it to another garage and get them to do the tracking first and see if that improves it before anything else, and see if they flag up the same problems that you've been told need doing.

**** paying someone to do your tracking, I'm planning on doing mine with some string, a tape measure and a spanner next weekend About 2cm toe-in should do the trick.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.