Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys I have an extended essay topic for my IGCSE (it is a practice version) and I have been very interested in Zodiac personality traits.

I just wanted to know if anyone has researched this topic ever and can shed some of their own opinion and experience so i can have a few more sources.

Personally I have been studying certain people i know to see if they fit to their zodiac personality, and i find many of them do, and I wonder if it is just because i am looking for certain traits or if it truly is a coincidence...
    I am able to tell which element of zodiac someone is quite easily as it is more generalised, though there are exceptions; Scorpios are water signs and though internally they follow a water sign almost fully, they almost fit better as a fire sign as they tend to be more outspoken and extroverted than other water signs, but still extremely introverted in other respects.

The other problem is whether people who HAVE read what their zodiac personality should be like actually slowly become more like their said personality...

On a personal note, i would like to mention to a few people, the zodiac personalities are explained as if the person has not encountered any other signs. therefor this is basically having someone living alone (though that would go against certain signs)... but parents, friends and other experiences change people for a short period, but the more someone lives by them self and follow their own choices, they become more like their sign...

Please give opinions and any experience with this topic.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hey, though was still hoping for people to be able to help here... but i'll check it out, cause my teacher really is wanting me to be able to insert quotes and I have done my own field work as research, so apart from quoting websites on what each zodiac is supposed to be like, i have nothing to quote.

Thanks again hey

ReputationRep:
    You could do ask people to do a normal personality test like the big five which measures openness, conscientiousness, agreeableness, extroversion and neuroticism. Then ask what star sign they are.

If you've done the research, then you should know all 12 and the common traits relating to each one. This could lead you on to a hypothesis such as 'Cancerians will report higher introverted scores compared to those who have a leo star sign.'

This is on the top of my head, but may give you a rough idea on where to go.

If you want more information on the big five, look at Costa and McCrae, huge pioneers for it. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamsie_853)
    You could do ask people to do a normal personality test like the big five which measures openness, conscientiousness, agreeableness, extroversion and neuroticism. Then ask what star sign they are.

If you've done the research, then you should know all 12 and the common traits relating to each one. This could lead you on to a hypothesis such as 'Cancerians will report higher introverted scores compared to those who have a leo star sign.'

This is on the top of my head, but may give you a rough idea on where to go.

If you want more information on the big five, look at Costa and McCrae, huge pioneers for it. =]
    I have actually done that big 5 test, and i agree that it would be a good indicator... only problems are 1) If i distributed the tests out I don't know how to do the scoring, and 2) Not many people seem too interested in doing these types of tests...

But like i fit 3/5 into a scorpio... which i am happy with as the 2/5 that i don't have are the "worse" qualities of a scorpio... like temper tantrums or holding extremely long grudges... though i still do both i just do go as far as some scorpios since i am more able to control and level my emotions...

ReputationRep:
    Zodiac personalities?

Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Zodiac personalities?

Really?
    Yea, not the horoscopes, but personalities based on what sign you are... but fits better as what element you are (which is depicted by your sign)... quite interesting all the coincidences that I have found, and slowly hoping to be able to write a 1000 word essay on the topic... though i have like 0 quotes from psychologists or other people on the subject unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rick-Raith)
    quite interesting all the coincidences that I have found
    Statistically significant coincidences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Statistically significant coincidences?
    out of around 20 people I have been observing and taking note of some of their traits... only 1-2 don't fit as well as the others... where the others fit almost perfectly

so i'd say yes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.