The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
rahaydenuk
10-100 Mb/s (!) at uni, but 512 Kb/s at home (although my dad wants to upgrade to 2Mb/s and get a static IP address :biggrin:).

and what's his excuse for doing that?
Reply 41
512 kbps at home, faster at uni though, have no idea what it is though
Reply 42
picju96
512 kbps at home, faster at uni though, have no idea what it is though

probably the standard (unless your uni has somehow dissasociated itself from the network) 100 Mbit
Reply 43
elpaw
probably the standard (unless your uni has somehow dissasociated itself from the network) 100 Mbit

Why? Why do the uni need such a huge connection speed?
Reply 44
Why? Why do the uni need such a huge connection speed?

because there are lots of people using it.
Reply 45
Only got 56k at home because you cant get anything better in my viallage ( the exchange isnt set up for it).

My uni network is capped at 10 Mbps now, they reduced it this year from 100 Mbps. 10 is fast enough anyway.

Also Ive been told that my uni has more bandwidth than the whole of Ireland..
Reply 46
Chris_
Only got 56k at home because you cant get anything better in my viallage ( the exchange isnt set up for it).

have you heard, villages are going to get wifi broadband. bt is setting up masts right now.
Reply 47
Chris_

Also Ive been told that my uni has more bandwidth than the whole of Ireland..

lol
Reply 48
elpaw
have you heard, villages are going to get wifi broadband. bt is setting up masts right now.

I hadnt heard that! Should be great, but will probably be quite a while until it's up and running, and knowing my luck will be a few years until they even start putting masts up in my area.. :frown:
Reply 49
lol

Yea, Im not sure how much truth that holds but we were told it on the open day by the dean of the computing school.
Reply 50
Chris_
Yea, Im not sure how much truth that holds but we were told it on the open day by the dean of the computing school.

which uni is it?
Reply 51
which uni is it?

is it imperial, i can sort of remember them saying something like that
Reply 52
which uni is it?

UEA. Just an average sized uni which makes it even harder to believe.
Reply 53
But surely in Ireland there are unis as well with similar bandwidth?
Reply 54
elpaw
is it imperial, i can sort of remember them saying something like that

There's a guy in my halls that was told it when he visited another uni aswell (cant remember which). Maybe Ireland just has a very small amount of bandwidth..
Reply 55
Chris_
There's a guy in my halls that was told it when he visited another uni aswell (cant remember which). Maybe Ireland just has a very small amount of bandwidth..

maybe. maybe its just something they say to tempt people. he could have been talking about northern ireland.
Reply 56
Chris_
I hadnt heard that! Should be great, but will probably be quite a while until it's up and running, and knowing my luck will be a few years until they even start putting masts up in my area.. :frown:

the article is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3323681.stm and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3333601.stm but it looks like they're only trials for now, it might be years until it is rolled out over the country.
Reply 57
Here is the chance for the people who didnt get chance to vote last time.:smile: I sitll find more people are on 500-600K broadband. What connection are you on???

Thanks!
Reply 58
ahyolmu
Here is the chance for the people who didnt get chance to vote last time.:smile: I sitll find more people are on 500-600K broadband. What connection are you on???

Thanks!

ntl
Reply 59
ntl

hmmmmmm i see ur name everywhere 2776, replying everypost possible hehe,

Latest

Trending

Trending