Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't get the link up can someone tell me the dark blue scores for everything please. I'm good at the upper body thing but as prostacker says I lack in the running area. I hit about level 12 in bleep test. Ben

ReputationRep:
    Bleep Test
    Men: 14.06+
    Women: 10.10+

Press-Ups (1 Minute)
    Men: 57+
    Women: 29+

Sit-Ups (1 Minute)
    Men: 52+
    Women: 49+

It's a shame to see such a large difference between the men and women in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAF_BEN0121)
    I'm good at the upper body thing but I lack in the running area. I hit about level 12 in bleep test.
    Oh, you lack in the running do you! Yes 12 is very rubbish isn't it!:yep: *PlSS TAKE* *PlSS TAKE*12 is well one stage above a pass so I think the word "lack" is a bit of an overstatement.

Ive not done a beep test in ages. As soon as a find an accurate method of measuring 20 meters I will give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    No i didn't mean it like that. I was on about long distance running and bleep test is basically a short burst of running not long distance. So for your piss take, next time before accusing ask. You only make your self look stupid. Ben.

ReputationRep:
    I thought a measuring tape was obvious. You're not going into engineering are you wly?
    Yes level 12 is hardly lacking! I'm getting dark blue on press ups, hoping to get there with sit ups too. I'm a 27 yo female and can just get level 9 on beep test. I am wondering how to improve it, long distance running doesn't seem to be improving my beep test score. Hmm, level 12 might require me to grow an extra set of Lungs and the purchase of roller shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debzvee AV)
    I'm a 27 yo female and can just get level 9 on beep test. I am wondering how to improve it, long distance running doesn't seem to be improving my beep test score. Hmm, level 12 might require me to grow an extra set of Lungs and the purchase of roller shoes.
    Have you tried fartlek or HIIT training?

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I haven't. Maybe I should look at a new way of training. Thanks ill look them up. Have you used those methods?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got any measuring tape long enough; although I do practice the general style of a bleep test by running up and down between two points that look about 20m, I can't know for sure the exact distance so I don't record it.

I am not really all that worried about my running as it's coming along quite nicely (1.9 miles in 13m 52secs and it is improving), however I do tend to struggle with my press ups and sit ups. I could barely do any when I first started applying for the RAF, and I don't know how I managed to squeeze out 14 (or so) Pups at my PJFT. So if I am well in the green at my PRTC I'll be mega chuffed. I don't know how fellas like Ben do 60, thats like 1 every second.

I agree with the Fartlek, my PE teacher at school used it all the time and it's very physical. It's the same type of physicalness as playing a game of football really.

ReputationRep:
    post problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanks wly, I'm gonna look up fartlek now. I need something like that to progress! Its all enjoyable anyway.

I measured my 20m by getting the 5m measuring tape and someone else to help me. put a stone or something down every 5m. I found it was longer than I would have estimated. I did this outside my house, which promtped my grumpy neighbour to come out and accuse me of planning to build on his land. Then when i went down to the local park to do it, I got asked if I was from the council!!

I cant imagine doing 60 pushups! But thats reserved for males I guess. I did get to 36 today in a minute, which, like you I could only manage a couple about a yr ago. I am finding the situps harder, I can get 36 in a minute also, but cant imagine getting 52 to get in the dark blue!! I might get there but it seems impossible at the moment.

Let me know how you get on with the beep test once you've measured it out. I find it harder on the lungs than a 4-8 mile run.

ReputationRep:
    Debzvee, I haven't personally used those methods as I have only just started training myself, it is just from research that those training techniques have been used by others to bring their times down.

And wly, it seems we're both applying for the same trade!

ReputationRep:
    I have used those methods fartlek training. The best way to do it is find a steep hill and when you find it sprint to the top as fast as you can. Then a light jog down it. then keep repeating this about ten times. You will see your bleep test score improve. And for the people who said about me doing 60 press ups in a minute. Trust me its do-able and the reason I said I can do it is because I used to do a lot of heavy lifting at a gym and enjoyed lifting on bench. I lifted mostly 140 kg thats why I find press ups easier. But I'm similar to everyone here it seems. I couldn't run (at one stage) 50 meters without being out of breath and my weight was pretty bad so seriously I think I've proved if you want something really bad you can achieve it. Ben.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debzvee AV)
    Its all enjoyable anyway.
    Bet you won't be saying that after a bit of fartlek ... horrible torture. Very, very effective though.

I found my times decreased dramatically when I started playing football - football basically incorporates the same jog / sprints that fartlek does, but it's much more fun than sprinting between lampposts.

ReputationRep:
    Get to level 9.10 and drop out is the way to go lads, Its amazing how many people stop the bleep test beetween there and about 10.6 including myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom t)
    Get to level 9.10 and drop out is the way to go lads, Its amazing how many people stop the bleep test beetween there and about 10.6 including myself.
    When you do the bleep test, do you have to reach the marker before the bleep, or can you arrive a bit after as long as you don't obviously fall behind?

I did a bleep test last night, but I had to give up at level 5 because the grass was turning to mud and it was just getting stupid. I thought of using the road but that didn't seem much safer.

I must say, it is much MUCH MUCH harder than running at full pelt in a straight line istn't it?that direction change uses a lot of energy (F=ma and all that).

I noticed that you are screwed if you get too much behind the beep as it is difficult to catch up with it again. Do any of our kind people here have any tips for this?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You have to keep up with the beep. If you arrive early, you'll get warned. If you miss the beep, you'll get warned. Miss 3 and you're out.

Top tip for the Bleep Test?

GET FIT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    I am not really all that worried about my running as it's coming along quite nicely (1.9 miles in 13m 52secs and it is improving), however I do tend to struggle with my press ups and sit ups. I could barely do any when I first started applying for the RAF, and I don't know how I managed to squeeze out 14 (or so) Pups at my PJFT. So if I am well in the green at my PRTC I'll be mega chuffed. I don't know how fellas like Ben do 60, thats like 1 every second.
    I wouldn't be too worried as long as you keep practicing. When I started my application for the Navy, I could do two or three press ups and eight or nine sit ups. I couldn't run for more than three minutes. Given that the standards I need to reach are 39 sit-ups, 23 press-ups, and doing 1.5miles in less than 11 minutes and 16 seconds, I was miles off. This was three months ago. Now I can do 28 press-ups, 40 sit-ups, and I run the 1.5 miles in less than 10 minutes 30 seconds. All has come through two simple things; practice and a change of diet. So long as you keep practicing you'll be fine. However, with the sit-ups and press-ups you have to look after your body. My brother and I both set out with the 100 push-up/press-up challenge in mind, and it's become obvious how different our bodies are. To optimise his work-out he has a two-day break after every session. I do one day on, one day off, and this has optimised my ability to succeed. In terms of sit-ups, if you haven't already, get yourself a mat. Doing sit-ups on a rock hard surface is both very difficult and potentially damaging to your back. Perhaps when you finally reach a point where you have to do such a thing in 'test conditions' it will be done on a hard surface, but for the now you should really look after your back or risk developing sciatica or something worse.

Obviously on top of this I presume you're doing other things. Personally, although I have a sort of pseudo-gym at home to increase my strength, I've found swimming to be best for helping me with press-ups. Not only does it help your arms it also relaxes your muscles in the water and is, as they would say, a 'soft' impact cardiovascular exercise which will also contribute to helping your running. Biking is also another very good alternative when you want go get away from the grind of hard impact running. Now I've not tried Fartlek personally because I'm not quite fit enough yet but I would personally suggest it's for a more advanced individual - something to look at when you're easing your way through your running.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep up the pace with the bleep tbh. At Halton they give you three times so if you miss the line 3 times in a row you then have to stop.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. For that fellas.
    Hopefully there will be lots of bleep test veterans at my PRTC who know to the millisecond when the bleep will sound so I can keep to the pace of them, but I will aim to become on of these people I think. I just did level 9 this morning to get used to the speed, I guess a lot of it is technique, (ie find an efficient way of turning around and not running diagonally across the area). So from what it sounds, you don't get told to stop for arriving early 3 times, you just get warned.

Anyway, thanks for this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes three times and your out system. I say the technique I used is the best sprinting up a hill will help you wly. Probably get you that extra level or two. Does anyone know at PRTC do you have to sit another medical and what does it consist of? Ben

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.