Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAF_BEN0121)
    Does anyone know at PRTC do you have to sit another medical and what does it consist of? Ben
    Might be worth looking through this post, Ben.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...C#post15016701

ReputationRep:
    So is that a yes or no? Ben.

ReputationRep:
    You're clearly capable of reading, so click that link and have a look for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    A simple yes or no would of been ok. Too stuborn Naigan.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Not stubborn - just trying to get you to help yourself.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm stubborn am I? Going out of my way to search for that post so that you could gain further information.. Talk about ungrateful.

ReputationRep:
    yeah just a bit ticked off sorry. Apparently there is two categories you are placed in. You are either cq or uq. CQ means you passed with all the gcse's needed and UQ mean you have passed with a few gcse's missing. I haven't got a C in English I got a D but I have 8 gcse's A-C grade plus two A-levels in philosophy and ethic and even in law but they don't account for a English gcse that surely isn't right. However I'm still waiting but for how long know one Knows. Sorry about that Naigan. Ben

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to resit the English? If you have a wait anyway, now might be a good time to nail it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I haven't got a C in English I got a D ...... but they don't account for a English gcse that surely isn't right. However I'm still waiting but for how long know one Knows. Sorry about that Naigan. Ben
    Really? :eek:

There are minimum requirements and they include Maths and English at Grade C, GCSE. You could have a degree but they still need Maths & English.

ReputationRep:
    I know but I got good scores in my ast test. And I really want to but they don't take people on for English until September and the course is 12 months but will do it. However I'm still in the runnings to get in. So don't count me out yet. Ben

ReputationRep:
    Any reason why you can't investigate resitting this June? You've done the course already, so there might be a way to resit after three months of cramming, and then it's done.

ReputationRep:
    true but apparently they can't do that. Ben.

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked people can get to the latter stages of an RAF application without knowing they needed a C in GCSE English and Maths. It's on all the literature about careers. Not only that I think it's been one of the first questions I've been asked whether it's been contacting the Army and the RAF via either a AFCO or the call centers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked someone has even been allowed to apply. You know all those questions on here about grey areas? This isn't one of them!

Ben, can you clarify your position? Have you been allowed to apply without the qualification, or has there been some kind of waiver? I'm just being nosey, but it all sounds very odd! I wasn't even allowed to fill in the first application form until I told them I had the basic English qualification ... even though I have a Masters degree in the subject. It was the very first question they asked me, after name and age ...

ReputationRep:
    I had to show evidence of my qualifications before taking my AST!

Don't see how they would let someone apply who hasn't met the minimum requirements?

Could it be the reason you have been waiting sooooo long for your dates is because they are waiting for you to get the required qualifications???

ReputationRep:
    No to clarify I knew I had to have gcse English however I got a D but the AFCO office said to me back in January last year when I applied that if I pass the AST test I can go through, which I did obviously. RAFia it could be the reason yes. People if I could sit my English exam I would now but they only take on September to September. My passion for the RAF is my life and no matter what it takes I will get in no doubt. I did show evidence however on my 8 GCSE's and 2 A-levels and they are A-C grade. I've obviously proved myself worthy or I wouldn't be at the stage I am now. As I said people who have got the right gcse's are in CQ and the other like myself are in UQ as I explained above. Seriously though I've put hard work into this and nothing will stop me achieving. People are going into the RAF not actually wanting to because there is no jobs in civilian life and there are still people waiting on dates. It doesn't matter surely if you require one gcse which I was one mark off or if you have all. I'm least of the problem at least I have the heart and dedication to actually want to be on there and be apart of the RAF. No one will stop me " Through struggle to the stars". Ben.

ReputationRep:
    People are going into the RAF not actually wanting to because there is no jobs in civilian life and there are still people waiting on dates.
    That's something that pisses me off as well, Ben. Those of us who genuinely want to join the RAF can't because people go and join during the recession simply to have a job.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly right Naigan. Some people want to be millionaires, some people want to be brick layer, some people want to work in an office as there dream(you get my drift). My dream is the RAF as well as probably yours Naigan. I can only wait like many people but it is not right in which people with no passion joins the RAF because of the recession. Ben

ReputationRep:
    13 people failed that! applicants need to be told what kind of fitness is expected for Halton. When i joined up in 07 i only had average fitness and i wished i did alot more fitness prior to joining. when it comes to the PT lessons you will get beasted also the CASEVAC and Aggression day on GDT are days to look forward to, i was in pain for days after them! if you don't show effort in them you will do it untill the Regiment say stop...which is usually when you physically can't move anymore. so prior to joining beast yourself on the fitness, when you're hurting keep going. the fitter you are the less likely you will get injured, resulting in getting re-flighted or having to leave RTS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uk-tony-uk)
    When i joined up in 07 i only had average fitness and i wished i did alot more fitness prior to joining. when it comes to the PT lessons you will get beasted also the CASEVAC and Aggression day on GDT are days to look forward to, i was in pain for days after them! if you don't show effort in them you will do it untill the Regiment say stop...which is usually when you physically can't move anymore. so prior to joining beast yourself on the fitness, when you're hurting keep going. the fitter you are the less likely you will get injured, resulting in getting re-flighted or having to leave RTS.
    Wow, beast yourself, all sounds scary stuff

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.