Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We all associate certain unis with bikes (like Oxbridge), but are there a lot of bikes in Exeter, or is it the type of place where people would stare at you for using a bike?

ReputationRep:
    I suspect Exeter is not nearly as bike-friendly as either Oxford or Cambridge. There aren't a huge number of cycle lanes, and it's a fairly hilly city.

Neverthless plenty of people use bikes and nobody would 'stare' at you for using one. Due to the terrain, how happy you are using a bike will depend on where you are travelling from and too, and how fit you are.

There are places to secure bikes across Streatham Campus, though like everything these will be affected by the building works associated with the Forum Project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonswimmer)
    I suspect Exeter is not nearly as bike-friendly as either Oxford or Cambridge. There aren't a huge number of cycle lanes, and it's a fairly hilly city.

Neverthless plenty of people use bikes and nobody would 'stare' at you for using one. Due to the terrain, how happy you are using a bike will depend on where you are travelling from and too, and how fit you are.

There are places to secure bikes across Streatham Campus, though like everything these will be affected by the building works associated with the Forum Project.
    Thanks, I'm perfectly happy with hilly terrain. In fact, the area I live in, flat is a rarity!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think Exeter's a cycle demonstration city or something - in any case, there's quite a push towards encouraging cycling...

http://www.cycleexeter.org.uk/
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/cyclingengland...-towns/exeter/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonswimmer)

Perfect answer tbh, all completely true, although I would say that Exeter has a reasonable number of cycle lanes.

ReputationRep:
    unless you like moutain biking i dont recommend it... its rathers hilly! i gave it a go once and had to push my bike up the hill with everyone watching but if you do manage it to the top you will end up with good legs so maybe it is worth the pain =]

ReputationRep:
    I'd say cycling is perfectly feasible! I'm a complete wimp and the idea of cycling on a road freaks me out haha but many of my housemates cycle...and when we live further from uni next year I'm pretty certain it will be a very good idea to get a bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbontnewydd)
    We all associate certain unis with bikes (like Oxbridge), but are there a lot of bikes in Exeter, or is it the type of place where people would stare at you for using a bike?
    From where we'll be at St Luke's it's down hill to town, up hill to get back and there's plenty of places to put bikes and lots of cycle lanes. Our council is a bit anti-car. It's do-able. Mostly these people are thinking of the massive hill the main Streatham campus is at the top of, but I doubt we'll be there much if at all, except socially.

ReputationRep:
    Having lived in the Netherlands for 9 years I'm bringing my nice sit up 'n beg Dutch bike with me to Exeter - living at Cook Mews. Can I store my bike there?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yep - see here. Dunno exactly where you keep bikes at Cook - there's a sort of undercover bit which I can't think if there's anywhere to put a bike in there, or if you keep it at Birks or King Edward or somewhere else nearby. Shouldn't be a problem, though.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmm hills. have fun with that...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheepsy_McDuff)
    Having lived in the Netherlands for 9 years I'm bringing my nice sit up 'n beg Dutch bike with me to Exeter - living at Cook Mews. Can I store my bike there?
    I'm bike club committee and I lived in cooks - there is a locked bike shed that you can apply for but this is shared between the three halls so it's often full, there is space around the back but a bike was nicked from there so I wouldn't trust that. Best option is to keep it in your room, you should have enough space.

ReputationRep:
    How and when do I need to apply?

ReputationRep:
    As soon as you move in I guess, no idea how to.

ReputationRep:
    ^ thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.