Turn on thread page Beta

Contraception and problems with condoms watch

Announcements

When I got together with my girlfriend I was relatively inexperienced sexually. We've been together 3 months. When we first had sex, after about a week, the first time we tried it, we tried to use a condom, however, I put it on and just completely lost my erection, and couldn't get it back. Then the next night we tried again and the exact same thing happened. She then told me she was on the pill too, and we decided from then on to just not use a condom and she would carry on using the pill. We have been having sex regularly like this from then on.

However, the other night she said she forgot to take her pill and could we try using a condom, so I agreed. She told me this in the middle of foreplay, I was hard, but as soon as she mentioned a condom I got all nervous and lost my erection, I guess because of what happened before. I did get it back, but we decided just to leave it for the night.
    She then told me that she'd like to start using condoms as well as using the pill, just to be extra safe. Now, part of me feels that this is unneccessary, and that using the pill is enough. However, I also want her to feel happy and secure when we are having sex.

So I ask does anyone have any experience or advice they could offer? Is it really necessary to use both forms of contraception? And how do you think I can stop losing my erection when trying to use a condom?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Condoms are erection killers. It's not really necessary, but it does greatly decrease the chances of getting pregnant from 'bad luck' to 'Sperm Austin'. If she demands you use a condom at the same time, she better get used to less sex.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Once you've had a problem like this, it is not surprising that a reminder of it can have an adverse effect on your erection. Once you've successfully used condoms a few times, the problem should go away.

Get some easier to put on ones. A variety of types exist.

You can let her put it on as part of stroking your penis, without talking about it.

You can also try using a **** ring.

part of me feels that this is unneccessary, and that using the pill is enough
    You're not the one who would get pregnant though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    You're not the one who would get pregnant though...
    He'd be the father though, meaning he'd either risk losing his life or money for the next 19 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    He'd be the father though, meaning he'd either risk losing his life or money for the next 19 years...
    That pales in comparison to carrying a baby for 9 months, pushing it out of your vagina, the toll it takes on a woman's body as well as losing your life and your money for, realistically, a lot longer than 19 years.

ReputationRep:
    Use condoms when your practicing lol so you get used to them for when you have sex

ReputationRep:
    Use condoms when your practicing lol so you get used to them for when you have sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    That pales in comparison to carrying a baby for 9 months, pushing it out of your vagina, the toll it takes on a woman's body as well as losing your life and your money for, realistically, a lot longer than 19 years.
    It's not a contest. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I hate condoms. They are the worst things in the world, and there is way too much to think about when you are just trying to get freaking. Who came up with the idea of making the packets impossible to open? I swear they lube the packets so you can't do they with your hands, the plastic is so damn tough and I always have to use my teeth. Then you have to work out which way it is suppose to go on. Doing it in the dark makes it a million times worse. Ah I hate them.
    Not as much hassle as a baby though I'm sure.

Have you tried getting your girlfriend to put it on for you?
    Try getting her to give you head and then for her to put it on, and jump on asap. That way perhaps your mind will be distracted.

If you have any nerves about sex anyway then they might be a contributing factor. If you don't already talk to your gf properly about it. Make yourself as comfortable as possible.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.