Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I spent 2 years @ uni a couple of years ago but had to leave the course early due to personal circumstances. I have now applied for next year (2010/2011) term.

I rang up student finance and they basically said I can't get my tuition fees paid for the first 2 years because I had them paid when I studied last. The lady @ SF said something about trying to transfer as it isnt actually down that I have left.

If anyone has any info/past experience how I can go about getting a loan or tuition fee loan paid, your help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingjayson1)
    Hi All,

I spent 2 years @ uni a couple of years ago but had to leave the course early due to personal circumstances. I have now applied for next year (2010/2011) term.

I rang up student finance and they basically said I can't get my tuition fees paid for the first 2 years because I had them paid when I studied last. The lady @ SF said something about trying to transfer as it isnt actually down that I have left.

If anyone has any info/past experience how I can go about getting a loan or tuition fee loan paid, your help would be appreciated.
    Its like the lady said - you cant have finance for years you have already completed. You could try applying with extenuating circumstances but I dont think there is a 'loophole' for that..

ReputationRep:
    Ring your LEA and ask them for advice as it sounds like you are still with them on the system

They should be able to advise you if your personal circumstances would entitle you to an additional year of support due to 'compelling personal reasons'

ReputationRep:
    Yep, neo is right - try ringing your local council first.

http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov..._schema=PORTAL

SFE have centralised the system so you have to go through their call centre. The staff there try their best but unfortunately do not actually process forms so cannot always give good advice in complex situations.

Local councils are still processing student finance forms (until March 2011 when the government shut down all the local offices) and they have many, many more years of experience so if you can get hold of yours and get a friendly advisor they may be able to help you get another year of funding (depending on whether you had valid reasons for leaving your course)

Once the local councils have all gone I have no idea where students will go for good advice. I guess student finance advisers at colleges/universities will have to step in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingjayson1)
    Hi All,

This is my exact situation as well. I was wondering If you'd had any success in obtaining another tution fee loan or finding alternative funding?

I've been looking at bank loans which obviously aren't ideal for students.

Has anyone else had any experience in this situation?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.