The Student Room Group

Are these realistic University choices?

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and will be applying to join universities that have courses starting in 2011.
I am interested in studying an economics related course (I want to work in finance or the stock market) and am studying the following at A level:

Maths
Further maths
Geography
Economics

My teachers are all confident that I can get an A in their subjects at AS and an A or A* at the full A2 level. I feel that realistically I can achieve this.
My GCSE results are as follows (if at all relevant):

6 A*(star) grades (Including maths which I took early)
1 A grade
4 B grades

I've been looking at the following universities:

LSE (my top choice)
Cambridge (not sure whethr I'll apply for this one, worth a shot I guess)
University of Sussex
University of Kent

Are these realistic targets? Also if anyone has any suggestions as what to study (e.g. would a specific economics course be better suited to working in the world of finance) I'd love to know!

Cheers guys,
Reply 1
LSE and Cambridge are no guarantee. If you're applying for straight economics then you should know that both unis are extremely competitive. From what you've written, it certainly sounds as if you'll have a chance. You might want to get a few extracurricula stuff as well.
Sussex and Kent are pretty safe for you.
gyyy2807
LSE and Cambridge are no guarantee. If you're applying for straight economics then you should know that both unis are extremely competitive. From what you've written, it certainly sounds as if you'll have a chance. You might want to get a few extracurricula stuff as well.
Sussex and Kent are pretty safe for you.

Yeah I play the drums, play sports in school and do a few clubs after school so I guess I'm reasonably rounded. I'm certainly not looking forward to writing my personal statement. From what I've read that can make or break your application!
Reply 3
THEALB10N
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and will be applying to join universities that have courses starting in 2011.
I am interested in studying an economics related course (I want to work in finance or the stock market) and am studying the following at A level:

Maths
Further maths
Geography
Economics

My teachers are all confident that I can get an A in their subjects at AS and an A or A* at the full A2 level. I feel that realistically I can achieve this.

1 A grade
4 B grades

LSE (my top choice)
University of Sussex
University of Kent

Are these realistic targets? Also if anyone has any suggestions as what to study (e.g. would a specific economics course be better suited to working in the world of finance) I'd love to know!

Cheers guys,

yes this is very realistic.. - although I might think about sussex and kent, it's a bit of a drop off from cambridge and LSE - why not put at least one other really top university in there?
Go for it. You're being extremely realistic.
Sure Cambridge and LSE are competitive...but if you do a great interview...you're pretty much in.
Good luck.
OK thanks people! I thought I might have been pushing it a bit far with Cambridge especially!

I've only listed 4 Unis there and as far as I know I could apply to one more; any suggestions?
Reply 6
THEALB10N
OK thanks people! I thought I might have been pushing it a bit far with Cambridge especially!

I've only listed 4 Unis there and as far as I know I could apply to one more; any suggestions?

UCL/Bristol/Durham/Exeter/Manchester perhaps?
Kent and Sussex should be pretty safe choices for you.
Reply 7
Manchester?
THEALB10N

Maths
Further maths
Geography
Economics

1 A grade
4 B grades

LSE (my top choice)
University of Sussex
University of Kent

Cheers guys,

Wait till you get your results. If you get 90% in 3 AS's thats really good for cambridge; as that means your auto-pooled and pbably garenteed an interview.

Kent and sussex sound a bit to low. I think kent are in Extra quite a lot but they have a BB offer which is really nice insureance.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=900865
Reply 9
THEALB10N
Yeah I play the drums, play sports in school and do a few clubs after school so I guess I'm reasonably rounded. I'm certainly not looking forward to writing my personal statement. From what I've read that can make or break your application!

I think the poster meant relevant EC's e.g. work experience, maybe in a financial insitution, and stuff e.g. Target 2.0 would probally look great if your school does it.
Reply 10
Anonymous0155
Wait till you get your results. If you get 90% in 3 AS's thats really good for cambridge; as that means your auto-pooled and pbably garenteed an interview.

Kent and sussex sound a bit to low. I think kent are in Extra quite a lot but they have a BB offer which is really nice insureance.

Auotpooling didn't seem to be guaranteed this year :frown:
Anonymous0155

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is 'auto-pooling'?

No one in my family has ever been to uni and the careers advisor at school is away, so I've got no one else to ask!
Reply 12
I'd advise you to apply to Sussex OR Kent, it's a wasted choice as grades are both really low for you.
Go for Cambridge and LSE you have a realsitic chance of getting them.
That leaves you with two left.
If I was you I'd aim to fill these with 1x AAA and 1x ABB.
Southampton is the best AAB uni I have seen for Economics.
And for the AAA one there are lots to choose from (Bath, Bristol, Warwick, Exeter etc.)
I was talking to my maths teacher and he suggested that I apply to these:
LSE
Cambridge
Warwick
Southampton
Sussex

I'll probably however apply for economics/something else at LSE as the straight course is really competitive and I guess doing something else like stats would give me a broader range of skills!
Reply 14
THEALB10N
I was talking to my maths teacher and he suggested that I apply to these:
LSE
Cambridge
Warwick
Southampton
Sussex

Very early to talk as you not got AS grades and TAELT 2011 not out yet.
But if you get aaaa at AS you should be pretty safe with Southampton.
And Sussex were in Extra 2009 anyway.
So I would suggest dropping Sussex and having another TAELT top 11 uni.

THEALB10N
I'll probably however apply for economics/something else at LSE as the straight course is really competitive and I guess doing something else like stats would give me a broader range of skills!

Read my sticky threads in the economics thread.
Then you will learn useful information like that applying to LSE joint courses with a straight economics PS is a bad idea as LSE expect PSs for joint degrees to be balanced.

Latest

Trending

Trending