Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Twitter Joke - This country is starting to scare me. Watch

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if everyone did this, like that thing that went round last week with everyone putting their bra colour on facebook......if everybody said they were going to commit a terrorist act, would the police have the resources to investigate every threat?

They've probably made a big thing of this to set an "example", ie to make people not joke about it. The concept of "threats" is always a difficult one for the police, what do they do when someone comes and says that a chav has told them "im gunna stab ya Mum, innit....."

ReputationRep:
    I saw an episode of Airport (I was bored and ill) where a guy from Chicago was departing from Heathrow and was carrying a violin case. When they asked him what was in it, given that he was from Chicago and it was a stupid question, he made a lame joke and said it was a machine gun.

**** ensued.

Armed police were called.

Even though he immediately told them it was a joke, they had to very carefully open it. Upon finding a violin, the man was arrested and spent the night in a cell.

ReputationRep:
    the law and employers need to stay the **** out of facebook and twitter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I saw an episode of Airport (I was bored and ill) where a guy from Chicago was departing from Heathrow and was carrying a violin case. When they asked him what was in it, given that he was from Chicago and it was a stupid question, he made a lame joke and said it was a machine gun.

**** ensued.

Armed police were called.

Even though he immediately told them it was a joke, they had to very carefully open it. Upon finding a violin, the man was arrested and spent the night in a cell.
    Haha that's pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    I said I was going to bomb LSE if they reject me :ninja:
    Lol shh someone from TSR public might report you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    (n) terrorism, act of terrorism, terrorist act (the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear)

Which is a large part of what has been occuring in both cases.

Refer to this article on wiki, it's quite interesting btw.
    So a bit like the forced conversions during the Islamic invasion of Pakistan?
    100 million dead and done at the same time as the crusades. Talk about glass houses. Last time I checked, the middle east was a Christian region that Muslims invaded, seized and forced the conversions of as well. That's a very big glass house you're sitting in. How about a nice cup of stfu?

ReputationRep:
    That is possibly the most unfunny joke I've ever read.

ReputationRep:
    :zomg: wtf :zomg:
    That's ridiculous, freedom of speech my ass :mad: the police in this country are thick as ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    So a bit like the forced conversions during the Islamic invasion of Pakistan?
    100 million dead and done at the same time as the crusades. Talk about glass houses. Last time I checked, the middle east was a Christian region that Muslims invaded, seized and forced the conversions of as well. That's a very big glass house you're sitting in. How about a nice cup of stfu?
    Wahey mate, chill. I'm a 'Christian' myself... and not in a big glass house. I'm aware that there are very large problems associated with every religion, and was just trying to point out to the other poster that it wasn't restricted to Islam.

(Oh and if you want to go down the whole "the middle east was a Christian region that the Muslims invaded" road, then consider that "the middle east was was a (predominantly) Jewish regian that Christians invaded" too :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to Britain. Please leave your liberty at the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Wahey mate, chill. I'm a 'Christian' myself... and not in a big glass house. I'm aware that there are very large problems associated with every religion, and was just trying to point out to the other poster that it wasn't restricted to Islam.

(Oh and if you want to go down the whole "the middle east was a Christian region that the Muslims invaded" road, then consider that "the middle east was was a (predominantly) Jewish regian that Christians invaded" too :p: )
    I don't see Christians trying to murder innocent Jews over it today. Plenty of Muslims trying to murder innocent Christians and Jews however. Muslims have no moral high ground on terrorism. Islam is a set of political ideas hidden behind a big sky fairy - a set of ideas that are utterly repugnant and I'm personally disgusted you'd even act as a devils advocate for such a cabal of murderers. It is an Islamic problem. Every culture that shares land with Muslims has problems with terrorism - that we have problems after mass-immigrations of Muslims is no surprise. The drift towards a police state where citizens are punished for thought crimes; as occurred in the OP's article is a natural consequence of trying to protect non-Muslims from murderers in the Islamic 'community' within the constraints of political correctness.

9/11 Murder
    Madrid bombings Murder
    7/7 Murder

Take your cultural relativism to the victims of such atrocities. You would never dare make such comparisons about Nazi's - I don't understand why it is acceptable to do so with violent Islam.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of crappy terrorist announces his intentions on Twitter?

ReputationRep:
    And there goes the anonymity of the internet. The internet isn't that safe any longer.

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha lovely

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh, that's stupid :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    The day Gordon dies I will party, rejoice, and urinate on his grave. I'd prefer a Sharia state than that 'I **** over Big Brother' scottish Gordon Brown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Why would political wars be mentioned in something like that?
    Because most terrorism is political. Suicide and the killing of women and children (at all times) and the killing of non-combatant men in times of war is explicitely forbidden in Quran and as far I know the Bible's the same.

Al-Qaeda, al-Shadab etc. aren't Muslim and the crusades weren't christian even though they claimed it- when they first entered Jerusalem they pretty much massacred the whole city.

ReputationRep:

Why are our police pissing around doing this when the president of UCL Islamic society and somebody who had been identified by the CIA can board a plane with explosives in their pants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    Because most terrorism is political. Suicide and the killing of women and children (at all times) and the killing of non-combatant men in times of war is explicitely forbidden in Quran and as far I know the Bible's the same.
    Religion is political.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    BLOW UP AN AIRPORT - LIKE A BAWSSS

lol
    I lold. He was a bit of a retard for shouting that to be fair, but the reaction was way over the top.
    Edit: It was on twitter? Despite the name, obviously they don't know what kind of person this is going to be, so at least taking him in is necessary considering the scale of terrorist threats nowadays, but the rest was so over the top

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.