The Student Room Group

MSc Applicants for UCL 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
crackingod
Good luck!

Thanks! I think it went well, my interlocutor seemed convinced by my elucubrations :biggrin: I'm recommended for offer so that'd be 2 options at UCL... I'm ecstatic!!!
Sooz2471
Thanks! I think it went well, my interlocutor seemed convinced by my elucubrations :biggrin: I'm recommended for offer so that'd be 2 options at UCL... I'm ecstatic!!!

Congratulations!
Sooz2471
I just received an email from the French Dep confirming that I will have a phone interview this upcoming Friday... I still don't know if UCL would be my second preferred option after Oxford, but I want to do the interview anyway, of course. I have pretty much no idea what to expect so any input would be very much appreciated -- growing nervous all of a sudden... :s-smilie: Thanks!

EDIT: Just got accepted for the PhD in English!! :woo: Feeling very happy, although they want to interview me on Monday for the AHRC awards (I didn't even think I qualified)... That's gonna be one expensive last-minute trip to England...

Many congrats! Career-wise, a PhD in English at an English uni would probably benefit you more than a PhD in French if you want to land an academic post in France in the future.
Reply 183
I'm still awaiting my acknowledgment letter :tongue:, it's been 4 weeks now, maybe next week! :s-smilie:
Reply 184
pharmakos
Many congrats! Career-wise, a PhD in English at an English uni would probably benefit you more than a PhD in French if you want to land an academic post in France in the future.

Yes I know, plus it would simply look more coherent on my CV since I've always belonged to English Depts in French unis, so that's why I was excited to have been made an unconditional offer by the UCL English Dept whereas the French one is being more cautious :biggrin:

The only thing that still bothers me a little is that I won't find a job in France unless I take the "agrégation" exam, which is completely useless anywhere else in Europe and is currently threatened by a reform that would suppress it. So some of my tutors were reluctant to my going to the UK now -- but to be fair there is a great deal of pride involved that has nothing to do with me :biggrin: Thanks for the congrats and good luck to you if you are still waiting on a decision!
Sooz2471
Yes I know, plus it would simply look more coherent on my CV since I've always belonged to English Depts in French unis, so that's why I was excited to have been made an unconditional offer by the UCL English Dept whereas the French one is being more cautious :biggrin:

The only thing that still bothers me a little is that I won't find a job in France unless I take the "agrégation" exam, which is completely useless anywhere else in Europe and is currently threatened by a reform that would suppress it. So some of my tutors were reluctant to my going to the UK now -- but to be fair there is a great deal of pride involved that has nothing to do with me :biggrin: Thanks for the congrats and good luck to you if you are still waiting on a decision!

The aggregation is one of the reasons why I would never go back to France once I (if I do...) get my PhD.

One question though: what if you start your career in the UK/US and then land a job in France, would they require the aggregation from you if you already held a chair somewhere else?

Finally: seeing what they pay in France I wouldn't recommend going back anyway :p:
Reply 186
crackingod
The aggregation is one of the reasons why I would never go back to France once I (if I do...) get my PhD.

One question though: what if you start your career in the UK/US and then land a job in France, would they require the aggregation from you if you already held a chair somewhere else?

Finally: seeing what they pay in France I wouldn't recommend going back anyway :p:

Huh...? Are you French or just putting yourself in my shoes?

In any case, yes, these are exactly my reasons for following my heart back to the UK!
As to your question, it is obviously a good one and I ask myself about it a lot... If I did start my career in the UK/US, I don't think it would be too much of a problem not to have that blasted exam -- after all, there are quite a few native British/American teachers in the English Dept at the Sorbonne and not all of them have the agrégation, so it is possible that they'd take me on board... theoretically. But French academia is extremely attached to its traditions and I honestly think that some people would stand in my way for the sake of it (very sad, I know) as I don't have the excuse of being foreign. If they do suppress the agrégation, it won't be officially necessary for obvious reasons, but you can be sure that it will make a huge difference between applicants for a very long time.

So that's why my tutors think I'm not doing myself a favour, and some of them actually resent my choices, as they feel that I consider myself "too good" to abide by their rules. But I'm not at all set on going back to France either; in the current economic situation, I'll go wherever I'm offered a job!
Sooz2471
Huh...? Are you French or just putting yourself in my shoes?

In any case, yes, these are exactly my reasons for following my heart back to the UK!
As to your question, it is obviously a good one and I ask myself about it a lot... If I did start my career in the UK/US, I don't think it would be too much of a problem not to have that blasted exam -- after all, there are quite a few native British/American teachers in the English Dept at the Sorbonne and not all of them have the agrégation, so it is possible that they'd take me on board... theoretically. But French academia is extremely attached to its traditions and I honestly think that some people would stand in my way for the sake of it (very sad, I know) as I don't have the excuse of being foreign. If they do suppress the agrégation, it won't be officially necessary for obvious reasons, but you can be sure that it will make a huge difference between applicants for a very long time.

So that's why my tutors think I'm not doing myself a favour, and some of them actually resent my choices, as they feel that I consider myself "too good" to abide by their rules. But I'm not at all set on going back to France either; in the current economic situation, I'll go wherever I'm offered a job!

I'm not french but lived most of my life there (did a french baccalaureat) and left to come to uni in the UK!

Hopefully will see you in Oxford then - fingers crossed!
Reply 188
crackingod
I'm not french but lived most of my life there (did a french baccalaureat) and left to come to uni in the UK!

Hopefully will see you in Oxford then - fingers crossed!

Hehe, hopefully! Many congrats on your offer btw! Well done :smile:
Reply 189
Just got an offer for the MA in PPE of Health! BPhilHopeful, I hope you hear back soon (with good news)!
Sooz2471

Sartre failed the agregation exam if I remember right. If you want to land an academic post in an English speaking country, a PhD in French would perhaps benefit more.
Reply 191
Just noticed this today. There is a Computer Science open day tomorrow for prospective students wishing to take on Advanced MSc courses in the following:

* MSc Computer Graphics, Vision and Imaging
* MSc Human Computer Interaction with Ergonomics
* MSc Information Security
* MSc Networked Computer Systems
* MSc Machine Learning/Computational Statistics and Machine Learning
* MSc Software Systems Engineering/Financial Systems Engineering

Link below with more information below:

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/admissions/pgopenday.html
Sayvai
Just noticed this today. There is a Computer Science open day tomorrow for prospective students wishing to take on Advanced MSc courses in the following:

* MSc Computer Graphics, Vision and Imaging
* MSc Human Computer Interaction with Ergonomics
* MSc Information Security
* MSc Networked Computer Systems
* MSc Machine Learning/Computational Statistics and Machine Learning
* MSc Software Systems Engineering/Financial Systems Engineering

Link below with more information below:

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/admissions/pgopenday.html

I wish I could be there but I'm a couple of thousands miles away lol.

If anyone goes, ask please when are they going to send out any replies,
we're sooo tired of waiting them to decide urggggh :frown: :eek:
Reply 193
pharmakos
Sartre failed the agregation exam if I remember right. If you want to land an academic post in an English speaking country, a PhD in French would perhaps benefit more.

True, he failed the first time because he wrote in his own 'Sartrian' style. Then he understood how narrow-minded the system was, took the exam again abiding by their standards and ranked 1st. Anyway, I'm leaving France for now, just waiting for funding decisions before getting off these UCL offers :smile:
aphrodite_x
I wish I could be there but I'm a couple of thousands miles away lol.

If anyone goes, ask please when are they going to send out any replies,
we're sooo tired of waiting them to decide urggggh :frown: :eek:

Hey aphrodite_x,

Which CS course did you apply to, and when?

I applied for the Financial Systems Eng course almost five weeks ago. No news yet :frown:
Sorcerer_12
Hey aphrodite_x,

Which CS course did you apply to, and when?

I applied for the Financial Systems Eng course almost five weeks ago. No news yet :frown:

Soft Sys Eng 4 weeks ago.. still long way to go I guess...
Reply 196
aphrodite_x
Soft Sys Eng 4 weeks ago.. still long way to go I guess...

Sorcerer_12

From the previous year, I applied for one of the courses mentioned (for 2009/2010 academic year) and received an acknowledgement letter approximately two weeks later before receiving unofficial offer from course director just under 2 under months after my initial application. Then approximately 1/2 weeks later I received the official offer letter.

It may vary from between person to person. But there goes my experience in application process.

Good luck! :cool:
Sayvai
From the previous year, I applied for one of the courses mentioned (for 2009/2010 academic year) and received an acknowledgement letter approximately two weeks later before receiving unofficial offer from course director just under 2 under months after my initial application. Then approximately 1/2 weeks later I received the official offer letter.

It may vary from between person to person. But there goes my experience in application process.

Good luck! :cool:

For which one was the offer? I guess it needs some time more to be delivered abroad... :s-smilie: The funny thing is that other unis like Soton, Glasgow, Manchester, York and Edinburgh gave me an offer in the first two weeks after I submitted my application! I'm not quite familiar with the uk unis that's why I am a bit alarmed that UCL is taking so long... :frown:

Thanks
Reply 198
aphrodite_x
For which one was the offer? I guess it needs some time more to be delivered abroad... :s-smilie: The funny thing is that other unis like Soton, Glasgow, Manchester, York and Edinburgh gave me an offer in the first two weeks after I submitted my application! I'm not quite familiar with the uk unis that's why I am a bit alarmed that UCL is taking so long... :frown:

Thanks

The offer was for MSc Software Systems Engineering (SSE), but you may have noticed on my signature that I am currently taking on MSc Financial Systems Engineering (FSE). After the first week of studies I realised that for me personally FSE was probably the better path for me career wise as well as slightly reduced difficulty in the learning of the content involved.

Both SSE and FSE are very similar in that both courses will share around 70%-80% of modules together (depends on chosen optional module(s)), that is why it is easily interchangeable during early days of your first term. There was originally SSE alone, then the senior people decided to split SSE into two streams -> SSE (6 core + 3 optional modules) and FSE (8 core (includes 2 financial modules) + 1 optional modules). This change I believe is relatively recent, I think FSE went operational this academic year or the year before. :s-smilie: Don't take my word for what I mentioned above, as lecturers may change some elements of either or both courses. Just saying this as you never know...

With regards to UCL admissions, they are known to be generally slow... unfortunately :s-smilie: Seems like you applied around the same time I did, got my unofficial offer letter on the last week of April, and the official offer letter on the first week of May. :cool:
Reply 199
aphrodite_x

Thanks

I got my acknowledgment via email a month after I submitted my application and then two weeks after that I was contacted by the department for some additional documentation. UCL is not any slower then other top universities. LSE is taking as long, if not longer, and they have waiting lists too, so it can take three to four months until you actually find out the outcome of your application.
Those universities that you mention are not as popular or selective as UCL or LSE or Oxbridge, hence, they don't compare applications against one another, and they give out offers more easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending