Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MSc Applicants for UCL 2010 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musicolo)
    I got my acknowledgment via email a month after I submitted my application and then two weeks after that I was contacted by the department for some additional documentation. UCL is not any slower then other top universities. LSE is taking as long, if not longer, and they have waiting lists too, so it can take three to four months until you actually find out the outcome of your application.
    Those universities that you mention are not as popular or selective as UCL or LSE or Oxbridge, hence, they don't compare applications against one another, and they give out offers more easily.
    Yes it totally makes sense. When you say acknowledgment via email you mean the automated one right after both of your referees were submitted? Did you apply online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aphrodite_x)
    Yes it totally makes sense. When you say acknowledgment via email you mean the automated one right after both of your referees were submitted? Did you apply online?
    I didn't do it online, but hard copy with all supporting documents submitted all at once. It was no-reply acknowledgment from the UCL admissions. Later I was contacted directly by the department. In some instances, people are contacted by the department directly and then you just have to wait for the official letter from the UCL admissions which will just confirm what your department had told you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayvai)
    The offer was for MSc Software Systems Engineering (SSE), but you may have noticed on my signature that I am currently taking on MSc Financial Systems Engineering (FSE). After the first week of studies I realised that for me personally FSE was probably the better path for me career wise as well as slightly reduced difficulty in the learning of the content involved.

Both SSE and FSE are very similar in that both courses will share around 70%-80% of modules together (depends on chosen optional module(s)), that is why it is easily interchangeable during early days of your first term. There was originally SSE alone, then the senior people decided to split SSE into two streams -> SSE (6 core + 3 optional modules) and FSE (8 core (includes 2 financial modules) + 1 optional modules). This change I believe is relatively recent, I think FSE went operational this academic year or the year before. Don't take my word for what I mentioned above, as lecturers may change some elements of either or both courses. Just saying this as you never know...

With regards to UCL admissions, they are known to be generally slow... unfortunately Seems like you applied around the same time I did, got my unofficial offer letter on the last week of April, and the official offer letter on the first week of May. :cool:
    Thanks Sayvai, your comments were pretty enlightening. So is it a common thing for sse and fse students to change places? That's interesting. I'm asking because I was not very sure which of the two I wanted the most. In general, do you find the modules interesting/hard?

Would you mind to share with us your previous background?

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd add my experiences to the mix: I applied for MSc Cognitive Neuroscience on January 29th by submitting a hard copy to UCL Admissions and I received an acknowledgement of receipt on Feb 23rd. I then received an offer for the course on March 11th via an email from the ICN department.... and an offer in the post arrived on 20th March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musicolo)
    I didn't do it online, but hard copy with all supporting documents submitted all at once. It was no-reply acknowledgment from the UCL admissions. [...]
    Same here; 'just received the acknowledgment e-mail few days ago.
    But then, when the department contacted you, I guess it was via e-mail also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryten)
    Same here; 'just received the acknowledgment e-mail few days ago.
    But then, when the department contacted you, I guess it was via e-mail also?
    It was some two weeks after the acknowledgment from the UCL. Yes, one of the postgraduate clerks from the department sent me an e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info... now I'll have to wait some more ^^

ReputationRep:
    OMG

Right after this reply I checked my inbox and got a request for an interview!
    Joy & apprehension!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aphrodite_x)
    Thanks Sayvai, your comments were pretty enlightening. So is it a common thing for sse and fse students to change places? That's interesting. I'm asking because I was not very sure which of the two I wanted the most. In general, do you find the modules interesting/hard?

Would you mind to share with us your previous background?
    No worries.

It's not common at all to switch. In fact 1 was just one of five that switched over from SSE -> FSE. Although I do not think anyone switched from FSE -> SSE at all. Me personally, I found that certain optional modules were probably out of my depth based on personal skills + experience. Having to choose three optional modules (on the SSE side) where most of them I found I may not cope with due to strong mathematical content by briefly reading over past exam papers and summary of content. I knew that FSE was going to be slightly easier for me to cope. Don't get me wrong, pretty much most of the modules are interesting! The course director may expand the options for next year as it is currently limited especially for SSE students.

On background, I had quite a number of programming experiences from an academic level and a bit (1 year) on industry level. My math although is not advanced, hence my switch. I also had a business element to my undergraduate degree also, so switching over to FSE seemed natural also.

At the end of the day it's how you will think you will fair. Everyone is different in knowledge, skills and experience. So don't let me put you off. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else freaking out about accommodation? I'm trying to get an idea of what is available to me as a UK student who has never lived in London before.

The UCL and UoL accomodation is quite well priced, but apparently they won't give offers to UK + EU students until after the term starts, so that is out. I can't seem to figure out of University of London intercollegiate places follow the same rules, and if so if I'm supposed to apply using the UoL form and select intercollegiate or directly to the UoL intercollegiate accommodation bureau?

Beyond that, I've checked out some private halls, and yikes, over £200 a week for a studio, and that is self-catered!

I'm starting to worry I might not be able to afford it if I have to do this. I guess I should ask in the UCL forums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklight)
    Is anyone else freaking out about accommodation? I'm trying to get an idea of what is available to me as a UK student who has never lived in London before.

The UCL and UoL accomodation is quite well priced, but apparently they won't give offers to UK + EU students until after the term starts, so that is out. I can't seem to figure out of University of London intercollegiate places follow the same rules, and if so if I'm supposed to apply using the UoL form and select intercollegiate or directly to the UoL intercollegiate accommodation bureau?

Beyond that, I've checked out some private halls, and yikes, over £200 a week for a studio, and that is self-catered!

I'm starting to worry I might not be able to afford it if I have to do this. I guess I should ask in the UCL forums.
    London accommodation is expensive unfortunately. I thought UK students did have access to the inter-collegiate halls?

Have you had a look at Goodenough College? www.goodenough.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    That one isn't too bad on price, yes. Thank you, I'll take a look, it definitely wins on location! I'll also make my application to intercollegiate halls and see what happens. I just can't seem to find any specific info about them in regards to UCL.

My cash available for living is about £14,500. I assumed London would be about 25% over the average cost for students, which seems to be about £10,000. Seems reasonable until you see several places of accomodation which can run you over 70% of that budget!

ReputationRep:
    Goodenough college is not really nice, that is why its more affordable then others.
    Its much less costly to go for renting out a room in student flats/houses. Once you enroll, you will be able to access UoL accommodation site where you will be able to find hundreds of adds for room lets around London. These are offered/available by and to the UoL students only and are not publicly available like gumtree.
    I think UCL will give out accommodation offers to mostly international students (including EU students) who have not studied in London area (inside M25 area) before. Once they have allocated rooms to international students, UK students and those who previously studied in London will be given offers. There is no guarantee that there will be any rooms left, however.

ReputationRep:
    I rang up UCL student housing and they said that they don't recommend I apply for UoL intercollege halls either, since I would be given the lowest priority on them also.

Anyway, thanks for the excellent advice Musicolo. I'll wait until I get the letter back confirming my offer acceptance, and see how the UoL accommodation site goes for private renting of a place. Does anyone have an idea how much the rents might run on average assuming a flat in zone 2?

ReputationRep:
    What is your status if they told you that you would have the lowest priority for intercollege halls?

Rent in zone 2 can be anything from 90-150 per week per room, depending on location within zone 2 and the quality of accommodation. I think that renting a room in flat/house share is less costly option in any case. Having said that, its also less convenient.

ReputationRep:
    Argh still no response from UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Offer UCL, Msc Economics (Taught)... My letter was sent on 8th March, got it on the 29th .... UMMMM just for annoyance purposes: it TOOK 20 DAYS for BLODDY Postal service to decide to drop it by my house...

YEAY

ReputationRep:
    DerMunchen, so you didn't get an email first?

ReputationRep:
    Grats DerMunchen, you've been waiting a while, that's for sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RespectAll)
    DerMunchen, so you didn't get an email first?
    Nah, they tell you by post. You also have to respond by post.. it's a bit weird to be honest.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.