The Student Room Group

MSc Applicants for UCL 2010

Scroll to see replies

RespectAll
DerMunchen, so you didn't get an email first?

I don't think the Economics dept. at UCL has discovered the advantages of using modern technology to transmit important messages... No email, everything by post, the old style...

Are you waiting for UCL Msc Economics as well??? Gd luck :biggrin:

blacklight
Grats DerMunchen, you've been waiting a while, that's for sure! :smile:

Let's just say that patience MUST be a virtue when your a postgraduate :p: thx.
Reply 221
I've got an offer letter today from UCL - division of Psychology and Language Sciences. The course is: MSc Human-Computer Interaction with Ergonomics and the condition is to get a 2.1.

Here is the history of my online application:
10.02 - online application submitted.
15.02 - second reference uploaded, application submitted.
13.03 - "Acknowledgement of application" e-mail - expected response from UCL by 27th of April.
26.03 - the date the offer letter was issued/sent
30.03 - Offer letter was delivered to me (Aberdeen).

btw. my online application status has not changed since 15.02
Reply 222
Cruth
I've got an offer letter today from UCL - division of Psychology and Language Sciences. The course is: MSc Human-Computer Interaction with Ergonomics and the condition is to get a 2.1.

Here is my history of online application:
10.02 - online application submitted.
15.02 - second reference uploaded, application submitted.
13.03 - "Acknowledgement of application" e-mail
26.03 - the date the offer letter was issued/sent
30.03 - Offer letter was delivered to me (Aberdeen).

btw. my online application status has not changed since 15.02

Hmm, they received my second reference on the 2nd March but i haven't heard a thing from them since and it's still 'processing' according to the website. Might give them a ring seeing as yours was quick at that stage.

Edit: Month reading failure :facepalm: it took nearly a month for yours to be acknowledged, not 2 days as i first thought. Panic over.
Reply 223
What conditional offers does UCL usually give and do they normally interview?

Regards
Hubert
Reply 224
ardent_coeur
Just got notification i got an unconditional offer to the MSc in Digital Anthropology program at UCL.. i'm in Canada and I sent my apps at end of Nov. :smile: :smile: :smile:

unconditional? have you finished your bachelors already? or are you still completing it?
Reply 225
hubix
What conditional offers does UCL usually give and do they normally interview?

Regards
Hubert

I heard that when they interview it means you've almost secured an offer.
Any Tech Entrepreneurship offers here?
Reply 227
Yup; it seems there is a handful of us.
Anybody apply to the MA History of Art program?

It took them forever to process my application and offer me an interview. I requested to do the interview by phone since I live in Switzerland. I studied for two days and then waited by the phone for a half hour after the scheduled time before I emailed the advisor to find out what had happened. I then received the interview call 10 minutes later. The prof obviously hadn't read my personal statement and asked me what I like about art and why I want to study at UCL. Read my PS - it answers both those questions. She didn't seem interested in my answers and told me that it all "sounded great". The whole thing lasted less than 15 minutes.

I was rather disappointed with the admission process. I was really excited about the program though. They have an amazing faculty and a very good reputation in the UK and in North America.

What were other people's experiences with the interviews?

Can I safely assume that I didn't get in?
Reply 229
Anyone for the LLM @ UCL? x
Reply 230
ChienAndalou

It took them forever to process my application and offer me an interview. I requested to do the interview by phone since I live in Switzerland. I studied for two days and then waited by the phone for a half hour after the scheduled time before I emailed the advisor to find out what had happened. I then received the interview call 10 minutes later. The prof obviously hadn't read my personal statement and asked me what I like about art and why I want to study at UCL. Read my PS - it answers both those questions. She didn't seem interested in my answers and told me that it all "sounded great". The whole thing lasted less than 15 minutes.

I was rather disappointed with the admission process. I was really excited about the program though. They have an amazing faculty and a very good reputation in the UK and in North America.

Safely assume you DID get in :smile:
Reply 231
ChienAndalou

Sorry to hear that, "doggy" :wink:

Regarding my experience, for another department, the interviewer was the course director. He did read my PS and did make comments on it.
Any offers for CS?
Nope ...
got the acknowledgment email today for the MSc in SSE that my application has been received complete and is being considered by the selectors... BUT I should receive a response by 21 May 2010! This is 3 months since I applied..
aphrodite_x
got the acknowledgment email today for the MSc in SSE that my application has been received complete and is being considered by the selectors... BUT I should receive a response by 21 May 2010! This is 3 months since I applied..

Goodness me! Well at least you got an email, the rest of us are just waiting. I specifically remember them saying in an email that from now on they would only correspond via post?
Reply 236
Anyone applying for Engineering Science courses got an offer yet?
Still waiting for my Mech Eng answer;p <fingers crossed>

Hubert
RespectAll
Goodness me! Well at least you got an email, the rest of us are just waiting. I specifically remember them saying in an email that from now on they would only correspond via post?

Yes I remember them saying this about post but I guess Greece is quite far for them so they did me a favour to email me. They said exactly:

"Your application has been received complete.

Your application is being considered by the selectors. You should receive a response by 21 May 2010. This response may take the form of an offer of admission, an invitation to interview, a request for further information, a follow-up response from the academic department or a rejection."

Hope it's anything but the last lol

I'm sure yours are coming shortly as well, it's something procedural and has nothing to do with the decision so..
Reply 238
ChienAndalou

They suggested a phone interview for me as well since I live in France - funny thing, I was interviewed for the PhD in French (my native language), not for the PhD in English. My proposed supervisor was very nice, he called me on time and the whole thing lasted about 30 min. I found most of his questions relevant to my subject (he had clearly read my proposal thoroughly) although some of them were generic and relatively easy -- but I think it is important to still be able to get some perspective and speak about your project as a whole even after focusing on details for a while, so perhaps he wanted to test that. At the end of the interview he told me that he would recommend me for an offer, and I received a confirmation of this a couple of days later. All in all, it went totally smoothly even though I was positively petrified with apprehension... Sorry you had a "bad" experience with it, but hey, sounds like you got yourself a place anyway :smile:
Reply 239
Still waiting..I received an acknowledgment email on the 25th but with no indication of when I would hear about an offer, very strange! They should get back to me in a week or so about this. Good luck to everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending