Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nyc2UK)
    Accepted to MA Human Rights in the School of Public Policy! I'm from the US.
    im from canada...applied phd poli sci, missing a reference so its slowing down the application process! what are your stats??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklight)
    Early Jan also, complete with all materials and references. I received the letter from them only a few days ago in the mail, so I don't imagine they are in a particular hurry to get them out. :p:
    That's about when i sent my documentation to them, but so far no letter ... nothing...

I blame it on my crappy handwritting, why doesn't UCL have an online application for Economics... WHY ?????:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to submit my application for Russian and East European Literature and Culture at the SEES, embedded as it is within UCL. That is, depending on when my references come through ...

ReputationRep:
    Submitted my application for the Shakespeare MA today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumAH)
    I have two friends who both applied for Security Studies (MSc), one received her acceptance back at the start of December, and the other got the letter through today...
    I've been looking at that course. Can i ask what their academic backgrounds are? If only it didn't cost £7000+. Or alternatively, if only i had £7000..

ReputationRep:
    Applying for a PhD in either English or French - although I saw that when you apply for two different programmes you need each referee to write two different letters, and I can't face bothering them anymore... So I need to decide what I'm applying for... My research could be conducted in either department so I have no clue what to do.

On the other hand I've realised that I am not eligible for AHRC funding (EU student :mad2: ) so I don't need to worry about the deadline too much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk007)
    im from canada...applied phd poli sci, missing a reference so its slowing down the application process! what are your stats??
    Well, I'm a Politics and Religion double major from the University of Virginia. I have held internships in Washington DC twice and at the Parliament of Ireland in Dublin. I have written for Newsweek on Obama Administration policies and have worked for various human rights causes specifically gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender rights. Is that what you were looking for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoomzoompoobear)
    Conditional offer for MSc International Public Policy!!! so happy!
    Hey zoomzoompoobear, I've applied for the MSc. in IPP too! How long did it take for you to hear back?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

did any of guys wait until you found an acceptable supervisor before applying? I would like to submit my applications but something is telling me that it would be stupid not to wait until I've been allocated a supervisor... Advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    Hi all,

did any of guys wait until you found an acceptable supervisor before applying? I would like to submit my applications but something is telling me that it would be stupid not to wait until I've been allocated a supervisor... Advice?
    Contacting a potential supervisor was the first step that I took. I think it makes sense to confirm that there is someone on the staff who is both willing and able to supervise you before you take your application any further. Even if you're sure that your research interests coincide brilliantly with those of a particular faculty member, I would say that it's simply polite and respectful to contact that person about your intentions before putting his/her name on an application form.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys!
    Does anyone know how long it usually takes for UCL to reach a decision? I've only applied in one other uni and I'm afraid that their offer will expire before i get an answer from ucl... Is calling them going to make any difference?

ReputationRep:
    Applying for a PhD in either English or French - although I saw that when you apply for two different programmes you need each referee to write two different letters, and I can't face bothering them anymore... So I need to decide what I'm applying for... My research could be conducted in either department so I have no clue what to do.

On the other hand I've realised that I am not eligible for AHRC funding (EU student :mad2: ) so I don't need to worry about the deadline too much...
    Hi there, if your research can be conducted in either English or French department, why don't you apply to the PhD programme in Comparative Literature? I completed a PhD in Comp Lit at UCL last year. My project concerned French and English poets and painters. I enrolled in the French Dept whilst having my secondary supervisor in the English Dept. Applying to the Comp Lit programme would allow you to send only one set of references--although you'd have to choose which dept you'd like to be based in. Good luck with your PhD applications

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'd suggest that you email your proposal to your potential supervisor and ask if s/he would be interested to supervise your project. That's what I did when I applied to PhD programmes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharmakos)
    I'd suggest that you email your proposal to your potential supervisor and ask if s/he would be interested to supervise your project. That's what I did when I applied to PhD programmes
    I found contacting potential supervisors extremely useful not just because naming them on the application looks better but because I got loads of useful tips and suggestions for improving my proposal. Also, you can learn quite a lot about the potential supervisor and the way they work when discussing your project. And getting in touch before you submit your application can save your time. I, for instance, had one supervisor in mind as I knew his work in the area I wonted to work on. He told me not to apply though, as his interests shifted and he's not working within the area anymore. Although he published loads on topics related to my dissertation a few years back, he would not take on a PhD student who was working on it at this stage. But he gave me plenty of great points of reference and names of some other potential supevisors at other unis I should definitely consider.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for MSc Physics =)

ReputationRep:
    Still no letter of acknowledgement from UCL and its been over 3 weeks, I'll give them another week, before harassing their phones

Wait is killing me ... I dont even know if they got my application

ReputationRep:
    I called UCL 3 weeks ago, and they told me I was made a conditional offer. However, I still have not received my offer letter yet and it has been 2 weeks since they have sent it (though I live in the US)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoomzoompoobear)
    I called UCL 3 weeks ago, and they told me I was made a conditional offer. However, I still have not received my offer letter yet and it has been 2 weeks since they have sent it (though I live in the US)
    When did you sent your applications?? I sent mine 5 weeks ago and I don't think it's too soon to call... So they gave you an answer over the phone huh??? Not all hope is lost!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharmakos)
    Hi there, if your research can be conducted in either English or French department, why don't you apply to the PhD programme in Comparative Literature? I completed a PhD in Comp Lit at UCL last year. My project concerned French and English poets and painters. I enrolled in the French Dept whilst having my secondary supervisor in the English Dept. Applying to the Comp Lit programme would allow you to send only one set of references--although you'd have to choose which dept you'd like to be based in. Good luck with your PhD applications
    Damn, you're right, that could have worked out as far as UCL is concerned, but I didn't know that a Comparative Literature degree could be mixed with Modern Languages... My two applications to UCL are almost in (submitted with the same references) but if that's where I end up going I'll try to combine both Departments... Thanks for the tip!

ReputationRep:
    When did you sent your applications?? I sent mine 5 weeks ago and I don't think it's too soon to call... So they gave you an answer over the phone huh??? Not all hope is lost!
    yep,! they told me over the phone that I was made an offer. and that I should be expecting the offer letter soon. my application was processed on dec 1st!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.