The Student Room Group

MSc Applicants for UCL 2010

Scroll to see replies

Received a recommendation for offer via email for MSc Cancer, should be official within a week.

Can anyone tell me about accommodation options for us, or will I have to live with Imperial people in west London and commute?
Hi,

As far as the course is of 12 months duration, probably higher chances to get accommodation in student residences provided you are International Student.

generally, places are allocated as per course duration.

As in my case I'm international student from India coming to study MSc Clinical and Experimental medicine.
Horrorshow
Received a recommendation for offer via email for MSc Cancer, should be official within a week.

Can anyone tell me about accommodation options for us, or will I have to live with Imperial people in west London and commute?

I think the fact you studied at a London uni before means you'll have to find your own accommodation. Also if you're a UK student you also have to find your own accommodation :s-smilie:
I have a question regarding the deadline for sending on evidence of degree classification - I received a letter from UCL asking me to fill in a form stating my grades and to enclose a transcript of them. My university has not issued out transcripts yet and states that they should be sent out early next week. Is it a sensible to update UCL on this? I only ask because I'm sure Admissions is being bombarded with emails, and they may be quite relaxed about the time frame allowed before sending in evidence. Does anyone know?
Itchybrain
I have a question regarding the deadline for sending on evidence of degree classification - I received a letter from UCL asking me to fill in a form stating my grades and to enclose a transcript of them. My university has not issued out transcripts yet and states that they should be sent out early next week. Is it a sensible to update UCL on this? I only ask because I'm sure Admissions is being bombarded with emails, and they may be quite relaxed about the time frame allowed before sending in evidence. Does anyone know?

I don't think there's a deadline, so you should be fine, no need to let UCL know. Early next week will be fine! My uni takes a month to issue transcripts to I'm still waiting on mine :rolleyes:
Nichrome
I don't think there's a deadline, so you should be fine, no need to let UCL know. Early next week will be fine! My uni takes a month to issue transcripts to I'm still waiting on mine :rolleyes:

Thanks, I think I will just wait it out. Best wishes on getting your transcript back, my university was actually on strike for weeks and results were issued back late. Hopefully all loose ends will be tied up in the next few weeks!
Reply 426
I'm having the same problem. I got the letter from UCL asking for the transcript and certificate but my university has not issued it yet, and it's taking so long I'm starting to freak out. I guess universities don't like to work during the summer...
By what time are we expected to formally enroll at UCL?

(I know this is kind of lame but having other people facing the same problems as me is a bit of a relief, if you know what I mean :smile:)
Inesrocks
I'm having the same problem. I got the letter from UCL asking for the transcript and certificate but my university has not issued it yet, and it's taking so long I'm starting to freak out. I guess universities don't like to work during the summer...
By what time are we expected to formally enroll at UCL?

(I know this is kind of lame but having other people facing the same problems as me is a bit of a relief, if you know what I mean :smile:)

Haha I know what you mean! My transcript still hasn't arrived, been 3 weeks now :frown:

I think we should get given a time to enroll from 27th September, but you might be able to do it before then. Can check out this page for further info: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/new-students/enrolment :smile:
Nichrome
Haha I know what you mean! My transcript still hasn't arrived, been 3 weeks now :frown:

I think we should get given a time to enroll from 27th September, but you might be able to do it before then. Can check out this page for further info: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/new-students/enrolment :smile:

Has everyone received a copy of the the Joining UCL 2010 Graduate Booklet?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/transition/joining/pg-2010.pdf
Itchybrain
Has everyone received a copy of the the Joining UCL 2010 Graduate Booklet?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/transition/joining/pg-2010.pdf

nope not me, the link is very helpful.very exciting to see clearly that session beginning sept 27 will end next june so its kind of 9months- thats great. can't wait, really excited and nervous at the same time...more like trembling with anticipation.:P - How are you guys getting ready? i got a reading list my department.queued up for some of the books at my work /local library.
Reply 430
hey im gonna be doin the MA History of Medicine starting in septemeber.. also worried about accomodation etc as Im from Manchester...
Reply 431
Hello, about two weeks ago I received an e-mail:

"I am pleased to inform you that the Course Director for MSc Public Policy has recommended you be offered a place on the programme commencing this September. This decision has yet to be verified by Central Admissions who will issue you an official offer letter shortly.

We look forward to welcoming you in the Autumn."

Since then I have not received anything. I called them and they said it might take another one or two weeks before I receive an official answer. Am I on the safe side here or not? Thanks
Philboy87
Hello, about two weeks ago I received an e-mail:

"I am pleased to inform you that the Course Director for MSc Public Policy has recommended you be offered a place on the programme commencing this September. This decision has yet to be verified by Central Admissions who will issue you an official offer letter shortly.

We look forward to welcoming you in the Autumn."

Since then I have not received anything. I called them and they said it might take another one or two weeks before I receive an official answer. Am I on the safe side here or not? Thanks

I would say yes you are as good as in as long as you meet the admissions requirements (which I am sure you do or the department wouldnt have recommended you)

I received a letter like that and a month later my official offer was drawn up, hopefully they will expedite your process more since the course starts next month and you need a visa. Just keep calling back every week until your offer is officially processed. I was able to accept my offer by phone/email before I received the letter by post which helped considerably.

Hope that helps and congrats!
I got the letter asking for transcripts and certificate etc too. From what I gathered from the wording, it is only necessary if the offer is conditional. My offer was unconditional, can anyone who has an unconditional offer shed some light onto this? Getting certified copies is rather annoying, and kind of a ripoff.

Also, is anyone doing the Infection and Immunity course? If so, send me a message, would be great to meet some people early!
Reply 434
Not to frighten any of you, but if your final marks are below the 2:1 level (or 70%) from what I've heard on other scoring scales, it is possible to be recommended for a place and then rejected by admissions. There are several other threads covering this topic.

Blacklight, if your offer was unconditional, then all you need to do is accept and you're good to go. I popped in the actual admissions offices and they also verified this.
Reply 435
Anyone here doing Software Systems Engineering from September?
Reply 436
Troyes
Anyone here doing Software Systems Engineering from September?

I am into Software Systems Engineering group- In which , i will be into Financial Systems Engineering.

Anybody into Financial Systems Engineering or Financial Computing, pls get in touch.
I recently sent in a transcript of my undergraduate degree results to Admissions. Does anyone have any idea of how long it will take for this to be confirmed?
blacklight
I got the letter asking for transcripts and certificate etc too. From what I gathered from the wording, it is only necessary if the offer is conditional. My offer was unconditional, can anyone who has an unconditional offer shed some light onto this? Getting certified copies is rather annoying, and kind of a ripoff.

Also, is anyone doing the Infection and Immunity course? If so, send me a message, would be great to meet some people early!

Pretty sure you won't need to send them off; you should already have sent them when you applied surely!?
Raghavan
I am into Software Systems Engineering group- In which , i will be into Financial Systems Engineering.

Anybody into Financial Systems Engineering or Financial Computing, pls get in touch.
Hi,Raghavan - I have also been offered a place on the MSc FSE, though I have not received the offer pack still.I am a bit concerned now because there is very little time left for getting a visa...

Quick Reply

Latest