Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received an unconditional offer for the MSc in Medical Anthropology. I'm from the US.

I'm getting a little nervous because I sent back my acceptance letter on December 14, but haven't received any sort of acknowledgment. I've sent a couple of emails to make sure they got it, but still no reply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I applied around the middle of December to the Environment and Development MSc at UCL. At the beginning of January they sent me an email they have received my paper application. Do know how much time it will take to hear any news about admission/rejection? Should I email them and ask? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question I haven't found an answer to in the FAQ: For how many postgrad degrees can you apply at the same time? I'm going to apply for the European Public Policy Master but would like to apply for the International one as well. Is this possible at UCL and do you have to rank them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumAH)
    I have two friends who both applied for Security Studies (MSc), one received her acceptance back at the start of December, and the other got the letter through today...
    (Original post by jose)
    I've been looking at that course. If only it didn't cost £7000+. Or alternatively, if only i had £7000..
    :cool: Decided to apply for this course anyway, probably part-time.
    Working on personal statements now. How exciting :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I don't supposed anyone has applied to the Slade, the Fine Art dept at UCL? Having an interview in 2 weeks and really nervous. And dammit, I forgot the AHRC deadline... oh dear... but then the only have 14 and they take over 16 people, so would never stand a chance anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Conditional offer in MSc (Security Studies)... not sure if I can afford the fees + london living costs at the moment though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timmaah)
    Conditional offer in MSc (Security Studies)... not sure if I can afford the fees + london living costs at the moment though...
    Hey Timmaah congrats on the offer

I'm applying for this course as well (and i've given it more thought than my above post indicates, honest..)
    Do you mind if i ask what your general academic background is, just to get a sense of who else is interested in the course. For what it's worth, i did a politics degree at York and chose a bunch of security related modules and a securty related dissertation. Then i graduated ('08), did an unrelated political internship for a few months whilst wishing i'd applied for post grads straight away.

Feel free to ignore this post if you want to stay untraceable :p:

I also have financial concerns by the way, currently trying to decide whether part-time plus working would be more affordable even though it means an extra year of living costs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jose)
    Hey Timmaah congrats on the offer

I'm applying for this course as well (and i've given it more thought than my above post indicates, honest..)
    Do you mind if i ask what your general academic background is, just to get a sense of who else is interested in the course. For what it's worth, i did a politics degree at York and chose a bunch of security related modules and a securty related dissertation. Then i graduated ('08), did an unrelated political internship for a few months whilst wishing i'd applied for post grads straight away.
    I did you and all the other applicants a big favour today as I withdrew my offer. Hopefully somebody gets in who really wants it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks! And good luck! I'm graduating from UEA with a BA History & Politics this year. I'm doing my dissertation on US defence corporations and have done past modules on globalisation, terrorism and so forth, so this course kinda sprung out at me.

I'll be honest, I was pleasantly surprised when I received the offer.

As for costs.. I was wondering how many contact hours it is.. I may need to phone them up and ask, because it may be viable with a career development loan and trying to get a part time job. Although I'm sure that's easier said than done...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passenger17a)
    I did you and all the other applicants a big favour today as I withdrew my offer. Hopefully somebody gets in who really wants it.

Out of interest, what are you deciding to do now?

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, what are you deciding to do now?
    Check my profile.

Btw, congrats on your offer!

ReputationRep:
    I might be an idiot, but I am having a hard time phoning the UCL Admissions Office. This might make me unworthy of going to UCL, but any info would be helpful :P

When I call (0)20 7679 7742 the automated voice tells me I've reached Admissions and to key an extension. I've tried keying a 4-digit extension that I was told would work, in addition to not keying anything and waiting for a prompt. In both cases the voice then just says thank you for calling UCL, please hang up.

What am I doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passenger17a)
    :five:
    *makes grasping lunge for passenger17a's vacated place*

Hey,

Thanks! And good luck! I'm graduating from UEA with a BA History & Politics this year. I'm doing my dissertation on US defence corporations and have done past modules on globalisation, terrorism and so forth, so this course kinda sprung out at me.

I'll be honest, I was pleasantly surprised when I received the offer.

As for costs.. I was wondering how many contact hours it is.. I may need to phone them up and ask, because it may be viable with a career development loan and trying to get a part time job. Although I'm sure that's easier said than done...
    Cool, fairly similar to me then, minus the wasted year or two.. :rolleyes:

The website suggests 20 hours contact time per module per term, so i guess thats a couple of hours a week per module and you probably do 2modules per term full-time. Probably phoning would be sensible, if you can negotiate the system..

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, UCL lost my Security Studies application that was submitted in November... Sent to the department today (hopefully), so now bottom of the pile. THis exact same thing happened to my housemate last year...

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, UCL lost my Security Studies application that was submitted in November... Sent to the department today (hopefully), so now bottom of the pile. THis exact same thing happened to my housemate last year...
    Omg...How did you come to know that this had happened?

Sometimes a crappy bureaucracy/administration really puts me off a school.

ReputationRep:
    I had heard utterly nothing, and they hadn't given me any straight answers, so finally spoke to someone who knew what was going on. Useless...

ReputationRep:
    That's a harsh situation. You won't quite be bottom of the pile though...

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Got accepted last Saturday to the MA European Studies via post

ReputationRep:
    Got accepted last Saturday to the MA European Studies via post
    Hi Nightowl, when did you send off your application and when was it acknowledged?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dubaid)
    Hi Nightowl, when did you send off your application and when was it acknowledged?
    I sent it off in December just before Christmas, it was acknowledged in late January and guaranteed a decision "before Feb 26th".

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.