Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in the process of submitting an application to study an MA in Legal and Political Theory in October. For those that have applied to any postgrad programme at UCL (moreover those that have been offered a place), approximately how long were your personal statements? Only that whilst they seem to infer by process of allowing you 3000 words to write one you should write a substantial amount, even something like 2000 words seems alot to write about myself in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous87)
    I am in the process of submitting an application to study an MA in Legal and Political Theory in October. For those that have applied to any postgrad programme at UCL (moreover those that have been offered a place), approximately how long were your personal statements? Only that whilst they seem to infer by process of allowing you 3000 words to write one you should write a substantial amount, even something like 2000 words seems alot to write about myself in!
    I've been all over the place with this :rolleyes:

I first checked the downloadable application form which just had a big box and said 'continue on another sheet if necessary' so i assumed there was no real limit. I then wrote my personal statement which came to about a page and a 1/3 typed (850 words ish). Then I started doing the online application and the box seems to be limited to 3000 characters (400 words ish) but it also says you can upload a word document if you run out of space. Then I checked the online FAQ which says 'for masters applications you are advised to limit your text to one page'.

In conclusion, I have now stripped my personal statement to just over one page (670 words ish) and plan to go with that today (uploaded as a word doc), unless someone posts something radical here in the next hour or so...

Anyone got any thoughts on my A Level results question a few posts up? Only 4 boxes for qualifications obtained since age 17, I have a degree plus 4 A Levels..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jose)
    I've been all over the place with this :rolleyes:

I first checked the downloadable application form which just had a big box and said 'continue on another sheet if necessary' so i assumed there was no real limit. I then wrote my personal statement which came to about a page and a 1/3 typed (850 words ish). Then I started doing the online application and the box seems to be limited to 3000 characters (400 words ish) but it also says you can upload a word document if you run out of space. Then I checked the online FAQ which says 'for masters applications you are advised to limit your text to one page'.

In conclusion, I have now stripped my personal statement to just over one page (670 words ish) and plan to go with that today (uploaded as a word doc), unless someone posts something radical here in the next hour or so...

Anyone got any thoughts on my A Level results question a few posts up? Only 4 boxes for qualifications obtained since age 17, I have a degree plus 4 A Levels..
    Not much help, but I found that section equally difficult / ambiguous.

I wanted to just disregard the thing about 'since you were 17' and put my degree result, but I'm still studying my degree, so had to put it down in current education, and then had to fill in at least one field on the previous education section to continue. If that makes sense.

Basically I put down all my A-levels on one just so that I could progress to putting my BA stuff down. I kind of doubt they are that bothered about the A-levels I got 5 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    Not much help, but I found that section equally difficult / ambiguous.

I wanted to just disregard the thing about 'since you were 17' and put my degree result, but I'm still studying my degree, so had to put it down in current education, and then had to fill in at least one field on the previous education section to continue. If that makes sense.

Basically I put down all my A-levels on one just so that I could progress to putting my BA stuff down. I kind of doubt they are that bothered about the A-levels I got 5 years ago.
    Good to know someone else had fun with it :rolleyes:
    Putting them all in one box thing is a good option. I also doubt they're that bothered about it so it probably doesn't matter really. Ah well, ti'll give that a try.

ReputationRep:
    I got the following email today!!

"Thank you for your application to do a PhD in the French Department at UCL.
    The Graduate Committee is interested in your proposal but would like to
    speak to you some more about this. We don't have enough information to be
    able to accept or reject you at the moment. This could either be a formal
    interview in person or something less formal on the telephone may also be
    possible. Would you be able to do either of those?"

Is that a good thing? Why are they saying that they don't have "enough information"? I can't see how my RP could have been more detailed with a 1000-words limit, and the rest of my application is complete... Do you think it is just a figure of speech, so to speak? I'm scared of phone interviews because I sometimes have difficulty understanding certain persons' accents while talking on the phone even if I understand everything perfectly in real conversations...

I have no idea what to tell them...

ps: I submitted my application on Feb 3 and never got an aknowledgement letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)

Is that a good thing? Why are they saying that they don't have "enough information"? I can't see how my RP could have been more detailed with a 1000-words limit, and the rest of my application is complete... Do you think it is just a figure of speech, so to speak? I'm scared of phone interviews because I sometimes have difficulty understanding certain persons' accents while talking on the phone even if I understand everything perfectly in real conversations...

I think it is a good sign in the sense that they are interested in your application.
    I would assume that the "not enough information" would probably be with regards to the supervisor (wanting to supervise you or not etc...) and the topic, or they just want to compare you with other applicants as they are not sure on who to accept/reject.

I would go for a face to face interview tbh, it is always better as they get to know you

ReputationRep:

Do the interview! It's a good thing, and their reasoning correlates exactly as your worry of the 1,000 word limit and the RP . If you had a larger RP and had to cut off anything extra to make the word limit, prepare to use this as a basis of the interview answers. They'd like to delve deeper into your topic in depth with you and give you the opportunity to contribute to something not found in the statement you gave them. One of my PhD Interview Letters essentially said the same thing, before a decision of offer and supervisor allocation can be made they need more info on the research plan than 1,000 words can give.

ReputationRep:
    Update: Just been told that I should receive a decision for my MSc Cognitive Neuroscience application by the end of March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaltzvWendt)
    Do the interview! It's a good thing, and their reasoning correlates exactly as your worry of the 1,000 word limit and the RP . If you had a larger RP and had to cut off anything extra to make the word limit, prepare to use this as a basis of the interview answers. They'd like to delve deeper into your topic in depth with you and give you the opportunity to contribute to something not found in the statement you gave them. One of my PhD Interview Letters essentially said the same thing, before a decision of offer and supervisor allocation can be made they need more info on the research plan than 1,000 words can give.
    Yeah I think it's better to take the trouble and meet them in person! Thanks, my original RP was not significantly longer than that, but I know I was more thorough in my applications to Oxford so I'll work on that. But the thing is, since they were the ones who specifically asked for 1000 words, that would mean they knew they wouldn't have "enough information" in any case, which makes their formulation superfluous and strange... I know my subject is original enough to be found interesting in any case, but now I worry that they found the proposal itself is not good enough... Or perhaps I'm just trying to find extra meaning where none is implied, as usual

They didn't give me a date or anything, does that mean I can decide when I want to go? Around April would be best for me as I have some serious reading to do, I just hope they'll be fine with that.

ReputationRep:

They didn't give me a date or anything, does that mean I can decide when I want to go? Around April would be best for me as I have some serious reading to do, I just hope they'll be fine with that.
    It's probably a date of your choice, especially if you don't live in the UK. UCL has requested an interview during my BA and knowing that I'm not local they allowed me to pick my own interview date rather than going through the normally scheduled interview days. Going in person would be a good idea so they have the impression you're committed and they can see your personality. But they wouldn't hold a telephone interview against you if it's not possible to be there.

I think when PhD selectors request these interviews it's more likely to do with finding out if the faculty has the right amount of expertise to help you so that you can successfully graduate if accepted. It'd be much easier for them to reject you outright if they believed the RP wasn't good enough or not interesting enough. They wouldn't have taken the trouble to contact you, listen to you further, and then make the additional assessment if they're not interested to begin with (too much time-resources spent on their end) :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Can someone please write a few words on application/selection/admissions/notification procedure at UCL.

I send my hardcopy application on 2nd February. Called them to confirm that they received-they did. Still haven't received any aknowledgments. How will I receive it if my application was submitted in hard copy-email or post?

Also, how long does it take for them to reach decision and will they let me know via e-mail or post?

Thank you all.
    Best regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blacklight)
    I've applied for the MSc in Infection and Immunity. So far it is under consideration.
    But is that not just part of the course run by the Immunology department at UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musicolo)
    Hello,

Can someone please write a few words on application/selection/admissions/notification procedure at UCL.

I send my hardcopy application on 2nd February. Called them to confirm that they received-they did. Still haven't received any aknowledgments. How will I receive it if my application was submitted in hard copy-email or post?

Also, how long does it take for them to reach decision and will they let me know via e-mail or post?

Thank you all.
    Best regards
    Since you have sent a paper application you will receive a letter in the post informing you the date by which a decision will be made. After the given date you will receive another letter by post informing you about the outcome of your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musicolo)
    Hello,

Thank you all.
    Best regards
    As you can see above, I applied to one department on 4 February and was invited for interview by email yesterday, so it took them about 2 weeks to process my application. So far they have only contacted me via email, and I didnt get any aknowledgement letter whatsoever. I also submitted an application for another programme on 3 February but haven't received anything yet.

I would guess your submitting a hardcopy application does not change the procedure itself as long as you provided a valid email address... They told me they would be in touch with me by post rather than email but as you can see they do send emails as well, which I find quite convenient.

Hope that helps, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    As you can see above, I applied to one department on 4 February and was invited for interview by email yesterday, so it took them about 2 weeks to process my application. So far they have only contacted me via email, and I didnt get any aknowledgement letter whatsoever. I also submitted an application for another programme on 3 February but haven't received anything yet.

I would guess your submitting a hardcopy application does not change the procedure itself as long as you provided a valid email address... They told me they would be in touch with me by post rather than email but as you can see they do send emails as well, which I find quite convenient.

Hope that helps, good luck!
    Great, thanks. That's strange though, that you applied on 4 February and they have already processed your application because when I spoke to the admissions yesterday they told me they were still processing applications received before 2 February. Perhaps they meant hard copy applications.
    I've been in touch with the Bartlett faculty, however, via email, and they have been very kind so far and really quick to reply to my emails.
    With regard to the interview, since I am not in the UK now, I guess if they do decide to call me for an interview, they will do the whole thing by phone.
    They do seem to make decisions much quicker then, for instance, LSE. I wonder why. Are they less selective at UCL or more efficient?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avmic)
    Since you have sent a paper application you will receive a letter in the post informing you the date by which a decision will be made. After the given date you will receive another letter by post informing you about the outcome of your application.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I received my letter of acknowledgment somewhere in the beginning of January. I was supposed to get a response today, but of course no email or letter... I sent them an email now, let's see when I'll get the response. If I get it next week (I should...), it will have been 7 weeks.
    Applied for MSc Development Administration and Planning.

ReputationRep:
    Just got notification i got an unconditional offer to the MSc in Digital Anthropology program at UCL.. i'm in Canada and I sent my apps at end of Nov.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone for the MSc in Spacecraft Technology and Satellite Communication..? :p: ..

Wondering how this course compares with MSc in Wireless Communication and Signal Processing at Bristol...:yep:

ReputationRep:

Hope your interview at UCL went well. You were probably interviewed by Prof T Mathews, who supervised my PhD thesis.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.