Turn on thread page Beta

MSc Applicants for UCL 2010 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay just went for an interview for the ESRC open competition funding at the school of public policy. Got literally grilled for over 30 min.
    Only one funded place, and I don't think I'll get it tbh

ReputationRep:
    I have now been given an offer for an MSc at UCL. As I'm still waiting on replies for other UCL courses, is it going to be a problem if I don't accept an offer for the first course right now? I have been instructed to let UCL know even if I am unsure at this stage of whether I want to accept the place.

Is anyone else in this position?

ReputationRep:
    I received an unofficial offer from the head of the department to which I applied on Monday (MSc Int. Public Policy). I'm guessing its because I'm international and he noted that it might take quite some time for the official offer letter to reach me because it comes from Admissions and they are very busy.

I applied on January 23 and I think my application was submitted to the department about 2 weeks ago...not sure because I still haven't received the acknowledgement letter.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to UCL's Philosophy, Politics, and Economics of Health program back in early December. I still have not gotten a response. I am an international applicant, however. Should I be worried? :confused: The deadline for the program was February 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afugazzi)
    I applied to UCL's Philosophy, Politics, and Economics of Health program back in early December. I still have not gotten a response. I am an international applicant, however. Should I be worried? :confused: The deadline for the program was February 1st.
    Don't worry afugazzi, UCL Admissions are incredibly slow. Some people hear from the head of department directly (unofficial), but not all.
    I was supposed to receive a response by the 19th of February - still nothing... (I also applied in December btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xdennis900)
    Don't worry afugazzi, UCL Admissions are incredibly slow. Some people hear from the head of department directly (unofficial), but not all.
    I was supposed to receive a response by the 19th of February - still nothing... (I also applied in December btw)
    Thanks! Good to hear this isn't too unusual.

ReputationRep:
    I have just received an e-mail from my department saying that I need to submit an essay on a specific topic. They will send me all the details in the next e-mail.
    Has anyone else had the same request? I am already dreading it as I don't know what to expect.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    @afugazzi
    I also submitted an application (for MPhil Philosophy) in early December, and was supposed to hear by Feb 25th (according to their confirmation letter), but called the department today and was told that the applications are still being reviewed, and that it might be "a couple of weeks" before decisions are made.

ReputationRep:
    I just received an email from the French Dep confirming that I will have a phone interview this upcoming Friday... I still don't know if UCL would be my second preferred option after Oxford, but I want to do the interview anyway, of course. I have pretty much no idea what to expect so any input would be very much appreciated -- growing nervous all of a sudden... Thanks!

EDIT: Just got accepted for the PhD in English!! :woo: Feeling very happy, although they want to interview me on Monday for the AHRC awards (I didn't even think I qualified)... That's gonna be one expensive last-minute trip to England...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Computing yet? I am still waiting for a reference ... ;(

ReputationRep:
    UCL's School of Public Policy (covers Security Studies etc) has an open day tomorrow, just to let you guys know...

ReputationRep:
    ha just received my offer, conditional 3.0/4.0 CGPA - surprising, as I thought they'd require at least 3.5 (=higher 2.1, no?)? \
    (MSc Development Admin.&Plannig)
    so, essentially it took them 1 month longer than expected (including sending the letter to mainland Europe)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RespectAll)
    Anyone heard from Computing yet? I am still waiting for a reference ... ;(
    I'm still waiting for the MSc in Soft Sys Eng..

@RespectAll: do you mean your referee hasn't sent it out yet or is it just the admissions that haven't updated the status?

ReputationRep:
    Ugh my application was sent for 'processing' on the 2nd of March. Still got a while to wait judging by what some of you guys have experienced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aphrodite_x)
    I'm still waiting for the MSc in Soft Sys Eng..

@RespectAll: do you mean your referee hasn't sent it out yet or is it just the admissions that haven't updated the status?
    I meant my referee hasn't sent it. I'm having a real problem with trying to get lecturers to do references for me, they can't be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    What about your academic advisor? Or dissertation supervisor?

ReputationRep:
    Same problem there. But I'll get something sorted out soon hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Phone interview in a couple of hours... nerrrrvous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    Phone interview in a couple of hours... nerrrrvous!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting on MPhil philosophy...was supposed to hear by Feb 15.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.