Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for Biological Science BSc at UCL, but they wanted ABB, but my predicted grades are ABC, but in my final exams i should get AAB-ABB.

I do alot of extra curricula stuff and my personal statment in really good.

Is there any chance i will get into UCL? how much of there decision is based on your personal statement?

and how likely do you think i will get an interview?

Students at UCL Biological Science anwsers would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11Townson)
    I have applied for Biological Science BSc at UCL, but they wanted ABB, but my predicted grades are ABC, but in my final exams i should get AAB-ABB.

Is there any chance i will get into UCL? how much of there decision is based on your personal statement?

i) How do you know your personal statment is really good?
    ii) Yes, there is a chance.
    iii) Unknown.
    iV) Unknown.

ReputationRep:

I've shown all 4 of my tutors and they have all said that my final draft is really good, and i've given a copy of it to my careers department at my college and they said my final draft was good. I'm hoping there right that it is good. i'm not saying it's good because i think it is lol.

ReputationRep:

Do you want false hope?

There's probably one or two people who have received an offer after being in your position, but I'd expect that they had reasons of some sort, and given it's UCL and very competitive, with many times more applications than places, it would seem very unlikely.
    Is ABB their minimum requirement or an indicator of typical grades achieved by current students? I'd think it was the former because the grades have changed this year.

Still, if you really want, there's no harm in choosing UCL as one of your 5 choices.

And are you sure about you personal statement being really good - as in no spelling and grammar mistakes, because you make quite a lot.

Good luck nonetheless.

ReputationRep:

I've shown all 4 of my tutors and they have all said that my final draft is really good, and i've given a copy of it to my careers department at my college and they said my final draft was good. I'm hoping there right that it is good. i'm not saying it's good because i think it is lol.
    i) Any of your teachers ever been an admission tutor?
    ii) Did you get the TSR Personal Statement Helpers to help at all.
    iii) Most people think thier personal statements are good :rolleyes: when they are often not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenhotep)
    Do you want false hope?

There's probably one or two people who have received an offer after being in your position, but I'd expect that they had reasons of some sort, and given it's UCL and very competitive, with many times more applications than places, it would seem very unlikely.
    Is ABB their minimum requirement or an indicator of typical grades achieved by current students? I'd think it was the former because the grades have changed this year.

Still, if you really want, there's no harm in choosing UCL as one of your 5 choices.

And are you sure about you personal statement being really good - as in no spelling and grammar mistakes, because you make quite a lot.

Good luck nonetheless.
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head except he has already applied.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't apply for UCL nor biological sciences. Nevertheless, after a disastrous AS year (Was predicted and expected 3 A's) I applied for three course that all wanted ABB having only acheived ABD at AS - and as such was only predicted ABC, but I got offers from them all.

Granted UCL and said course is probably more competitive that any of my options, but I guess it shows that its possible. Goodluck.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It depends on just how good your PS is really. You may get and offer, but you may not. It is a competitive uni and loads of good candidates get rejected every year, even if they exceed the entry requirements.

It's quite unlikely. Most applicants with ABB/AAB/AAA even will have excellent an PS, which will be better than yours in some case. If you dont meet the minimum requirements most of the time youre asking a for a rejection, espcially from UCL. Should have emailed them first.

ReputationRep:
    On the UCL website it says AAB-ABB. Which means you're further form what they want than you think.

ReputationRep:
    You should email them to see what they say. It depends on the university. Some will say yes and others will simply say it does not reach the requirements.

ReputationRep:

I was rejected in December with AAB predicted. What subjects do you do? I was rejected because my second science was geography which they claim to accept as a second science but obviously chem, physics and maths are prefered.

ReputationRep:
    from the UCL website of my applied course is ABB-BBB , but finally my offer given is AAB . I don't think my ps is bad but I think UCL itself is trying to get good candidates than before.

I just had my last AS physics paper today and I am now worrying about getting an A for it is not that easy, don't overpredict yourself sometimes , or u will gonna be very sad if u fail. of course u may get it , but just prepare for the worst one . good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of in a similar position to you but remain hopeful -

I'm predicted AAC and for audiology UCL want abb-bbb...

But I'm just staying positive and focusing on the exams..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice... Does anyone here think it's a good idea to take a gap year, then apply next year with my actual grades if they are ABB or above?

If it is a good idea to take a gap year, what should i do it in it? Work experience or volunteer work?

I'm doing Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice... Does anyone here think it's a good idea to take a gap year, then apply next year with my actual grades if they are ABB or above?

If it is a good idea to take a gap year, what should i do it in it? Work experience or volunteer work?

I'm doing Chemistry, Biology and Maths.
    I enquired about reapplying next year to the admissions tutor as I was already planning to take a gap year, apparently the standard offer next year will be AAA. I don't think they will mind too much what you do as long as it is somewhat productive.

ReputationRep:

Like these people have said, your chances are pretty grim. Unlike Oxbridge, where the minimum requirements are AAA and the applicants - for the most part- achieve AAA/AAAA, UCL, Imperial and LSE have an odd system whereby they ask sometimes only for ABB/AAB, but actually only accept AAA students. I know plenty of people who applied for these 'ABB' courses, and almost all the applicants who obtained places are AAA/AAAA students. However, where there is a will there is a way; so give it a go.

I can see that this post is quite old now. Did you take a gap year or did you apply? If so, where are you now? Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty & in today's competative market.. there is a chance, however this chance is very slim!

go for it nevertheles, just have a back up or two just incase!
    also, most people don't improve on their AS grades for A2.. unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBKE1992)
    In all honesty & in today's competative market.. there is a chance, however this chance is very slim!

go for it nevertheles, just have a back up or two just incase!
    also, most people don't improve on their AS grades for A2.. unfortunately.
    most people don't improve on their AS grades for A2..

what utter bilge!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.