Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am thinking of going abroad (haven't decided country) and working there with Bunac. Just curious... anyone willing to share their experience and how they found it? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I too have a question:

By the time I arrive in Canada I will have had just over a year's experience working in a card shop (my first and only job). Should it still be relatively easy for me to find a job in Toronto or Vancouver?

I noticed that a lot of the retail ads on Craigslist mentioned requirements such as a minimum number of years experience as well as experience in that particular type of merchandise (clothing for example). That didn't give me much encouragement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandmadeTurnip)
    I too have a question:

By the time I arrive in Canada I will have had just over a year's experience working in a card shop (my first and only job). Should it still be relatively easy for me to find a job in Toronto or Vancouver?

I noticed that a lot of the retail ads on Craigslist mentioned requirements such as a minimum number of years experience as well as experience in that particular type of merchandise (clothing for example). That didn't give me much encouragement.
    I found that most of the job ads on craigslist were hugely picky. Workopolis.ca had more jobs that I would have been able to apply for if I lived in Canada yet. It might be different for different areas of work, but workopolis is definitely worth a look, it's very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    I found that most of the job ads on craigslist were hugely picky. Workopolis.ca had more jobs that I would have been able to apply for if I lived in Canada yet. It might be different for different areas of work, but workopolis is definitely worth a look, it's very good
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'm getting similar results on that site unfortunately.

I guess the sort of jobs I'm looking for are more suited to just physically going around shops etc. to ask if they have vacancies.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'm getting similar results on that site unfortunately.

I guess the sort of jobs I'm looking for are more suited to just physically going around shops etc. to ask if they have vacancies.
    Yeah, that's probably the best way to do it if you're looking for jobs in shops etc. They don't tend to advertise. The people in the SWAP office will help too, remember, they'll know how to go about it. It'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Bunac Canada has applications going for it but visa's are not available.. does anyone know the website for applying canadian visas for working 1 year,, I do have British passport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yashradia)
    Bunac Canada has applications going for it but visa's are not available.. does anyone know the website for applying canadian visas for working 1 year,, I do have British passport
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx

That's for applying directly, not through BUNAC.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx

That's for applying directly, not through BUNAC.
    Thanks I did try and fill out but for the second step the pdf file won't work It won't let me open and i even tried copying and pasting on the browser still no luck:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I did try and fill out but for the second step the pdf file won't work It won't let me open and i even tried copying and pasting on the browser still no luck:mad:
    You mean Step 2 in the e-mail they send you? That opened fine for me.

If the link in Step 1 opens for you, I don't see why the other one wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    Well after loads of procrastination and excuses the job I'd been hoping to line up has officially fallen through which sucks:mad:

Plan now is to head out to Toronto and do the whole Canadiana Inn thing and see what happens. Anybody going to be over there at the end of August?

What browser are you using? I couldn't open it in Chrome or an old version of IE, but it worked fine with the latest version of internet explorer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiona344)
    Well after loads of procrastination and excuses the job I'd been hoping to line up has officially fallen through which sucks:mad:

Plan now is to head out to Toronto and do the whole Canadiana Inn thing and see what happens. Anybody going to be over there at the end of August?

What browser are you using? I couldn't open it in Chrome or an old version of IE, but it worked fine with the latest version of internet explorer.
    I'm most likely going to be over there at the end of August! (I said September before but it's not looking likely I'll find a job here so I might just go early.) I'm going on the group flight with Bunac so staying in that hostel they choose for the first night that's included in the price of the flight, maybe the second as well, then moving to a nicer hostel probably. I've heard you wouldn't want to stay at that particular hostel for too long.
    Nice to meet you btw! I'm Becky

Don't worry about lining up a job before you get there. Just have your CV canadan-ised as much as you can so you have less work to do once you get there. Once you have a canadian phone number and a SIN number it's a lot easier to get jobs I'm not applying at the moment, just making a note of the agencies/companies to contact once I get there. Then I'll move accordingly.

ReputationRep:

Using chrome perhaps thats why. Let me try with internet explorer

ReputationRep:
    You mean Step 2 in the e-mail they send you? That opened fine for me.

If the link in Step 1 opens for you, I don't see why the other one wouldn't.
    yes the email they sent. step 1 worked fie but step 2 no:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    I'm most likely going to be over there at the end of August! (I said September before but it's not looking likely I'll find a job here so I might just go early.) I'm going on the group flight with Bunac so staying in that hostel they choose for the first night that's included in the price of the flight, maybe the second as well, then moving to a nicer hostel probably. I've heard you wouldn't want to stay at that particular hostel for too long.
    Nice to meet you btw! I'm Becky

Don't worry about lining up a job before you get there. Just have your CV canadan-ised as much as you can so you have less work to do once you get there. Once you have a canadian phone number and a SIN number it's a lot easier to get jobs I'm not applying at the moment, just making a note of the agencies/companies to contact once I get there. Then I'll move accordingly.
    The feedback on the hostel BUNAC uses isn't exactly great, though I suppose if you start there then things in Canada can only get better!. I'm booking my own flight with Canadian Affair since it's way cheaper and I can fly direct from Glasgow, but I'll still be going to BUNAC's orientation and such.

I'm disapointed not to have escaped the scary job hunting process, but like I said a couple of weeks ago, things work out eventually for most people so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and do those things you said.

We should totally have a TSR meet up in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    The feedback on the hostel BUNAC uses isn't exactly great, though I suppose if you start there then things in Canada can only get better!. I'm booking my own flight with Canadian Affair since it's way cheaper and I can fly direct from Glasgow, but I'll still be going to BUNAC's orientation and such.

I'm disapointed not to have escaped the scary job hunting process, but like I said a couple of weeks ago, things work out eventually for most people so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and do those things you said.

We should totally have a TSR meet up in Canada.
    Oh yeah, we definitely should. And keep track of whereabouts in Canada everyone is on this thread in case two people are in the same place at the same time randomly.

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned agencies? Anyone fancy sharing their list of agencies?

Where are you guys starting your visa? I'm thinking Toronto as the flights will be cheaper. Are you guys just taking a backpack or are you going with a suitcase?

Bring on (late) September! So jealous we're missing the heatwave over there...

ReputationRep:
    I plan on going to Toronto to visit my friend who just has just moved over. I'm not sure weather to go through BUNAC or try and get a job offer and then a work visa. Any advice?

Also if anyone could tell me roughly how much money i would need to support myself per month i am there .

Peter

ReputationRep:
    Just booked my flights and insurance. I leave on September 14th!

ReputationRep:
    Hi lazyswot

Do you have to have proof of funds before you apply for bunac work visa or can you apply then save up and have ur proof of funds when you get to canada?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterkola23)
    Hi lazyswot

Do you have to have proof of funds before you apply for bunac work visa or can you apply then save up and have ur proof of funds when you get to canada?
    You have to include the proof of funds, or the third party proof of funds, in the pile of documents you send to the Canadian Embassy. So you don't need it when you join bunac and get a visa reserved by them (if you're going through bunac) but you do need it when you actually apply for the visa.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.