Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yay, this thread is going again!

SRVvelvetslash, I'm going in september too, and I'm taking a group flight cos want to meet people since I'm going on my own. Don't know yet if I'll be going to Toronto or Vancouver though, it depends on jobs, and what my canadian internet friends say about the two cities Mainly the jobs I suppose. I don't know how difficult finding one will be. I'm going to look for a chemistry/general science job that requires education and skills, since I'll have the degree and all, so hopefully that will make it easier. I think I read they need more people in the science sector?

Oh, and there's another facebook group as well, specifically for canada. I searched for "Bunac Canada" and there it was. Not specifically 2010 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    Yay, this thread is going again!

SRVvelvetslash, I'm going in september too, and I'm taking a group flight cos want to meet people since I'm going on my own. Don't know yet if I'll be going to Toronto or Vancouver though, it depends on jobs, and what my canadian internet friends say about the two cities Mainly the jobs I suppose. I don't know how difficult finding one will be. I'm going to look for a chemistry/general science job that requires education and skills, since I'll have the degree and all, so hopefully that will make it easier. I think I read they need more people in the science sector?

Oh, and there's another facebook group as well, specifically for canada. I searched for "Bunac Canada" and there it was. Not specifically 2010 though.
    Oh wow.. that group is much much better! I've joined up to that one and will be using that later this year thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    £ buys you a lot less Canadian $ now... at its lowest in the last 12 months so unfortunately its becomming a lot more expensive!!

ReputationRep:
    Howdy! Just paid for my registration fees and sent off my police check thing! Hoping to go out in June 2010 for some mountain bike action in Whistler! Anyone else going out this summer at all? Can't wait to get it all sorted and get out of this country.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email through from Bunac this evening, saying my Work Authorisation had been approved. So if/when I book the flight and insurance, I'm good to go

Still unnerved as **** about the whole thing though, I'm not gonna lie. And it's just my luck that I meet this amazing girl 2 and a half months before I want to leave :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarless Hero)
    Just got an email through from Bunac this evening, saying my Work Authorisation had been approved. So if/when I book the flight and insurance, I'm good to go

Still unnerved as **** about the whole thing though, I'm not gonna lie. And it's just my luck that I meet this amazing girl 2 and a half months before I want to leave :/
    Once in a life time bro, think of the Canadian chicks ... I'm nervous and I'm not applying until the December 2010 round!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I think there's a bug on the website but when I try and click on the 'Apply' button just after it asks if im a student and if I have done Work Canada before nothing happens... Are there no visas/is work Canada full or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bedwasboy2k6)
    Hey, I think there's a bug on the website but when I try and click on the 'Apply' button just after it asks if im a student and if I have done Work Canada before nothing happens... Are there no visas/is work Canada full or something
    Yes, scheme closed at the end of January. You have to wait until December 2010 now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Yes, scheme closed at the end of January. You have to wait until December 2010 now
    Also, am I classed as a student if I am currently in sixth form applying for university for entry in 2011?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bedwasboy2k6)
    Also, am I classed as a student if I am currently in sixth form applying for university for entry in 2011?
    Yes provided you have an unconditional offer from a university and evidence of this being the case

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a change of plan for me, I'll be going a year later! I'm taking a leave of absence from uni right now so next yr will be uni still, then Canada the year after instead.
    Oh well. Farewell for now Canada, I'll see you eventually!

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a change of plan for me, I'll be going a year later! I'm taking a leave of absence from uni right now so next yr will be uni still, then Canada the year after instead.
    Oh well. Farewell for now Canada, I'll see you eventually!
    So 2011 now or 2012?

ReputationRep:
    So 2011 now or 2012?
    2011, but I won't be able to go until August or September.

ReputationRep:
    2011, but I won't be able to go until August or September.
    Make sure you apply as soon as it comes online this year, I am really worried its going to be more popular than last! I'll be sure to remind you when I know it comes online in December!!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you apply as soon as it comes online this year, I am really worried its going to be more popular than last! I'll be sure to remind you when I know it comes online in December!!
    Thanks! Yeah, I bet there's loads more applicants this year. Better make sure we beat all the others!
    Canada FTW!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Yeah, I bet there's loads more applicants this year. Better make sure we beat all the others!
    Canada FTW!! :woo:
    Canada FTW!!!

ReputationRep:
    Insurance is booked (Anyone looking at going, take a look at insurance policies other than the one through Bunac.. They quoted £450 odd, I got mine through ACE Insurance for £218 for a 13 months) and the flights will be in a few days.. Doing a group flight I think, worth the little bit of extra money for me.

19th May here I come!

ReputationRep:
    Insurance is booked (Anyone looking at going, take a look at insurance policies other than the one through Bunac.. They quoted £450 odd, I got mine through ACE Insurance for £218 for a 13 months) and the flights will be in a few days.. Doing a group flight I think, worth the little bit of extra money for me.

19th May here I come!
    Yeah I've heard ACE is one of the best bets, its between ACE and Direct Travel for me, will get down to reading the small print at some point towards the end of the year. How much extra is the group flight? You're so lucky, I've got atleast another year to wait until I can go :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Group flight to Toronto is £496 in the low season, £756 in the high season which is July and August. Though I've been looking, and if I shift the days slightly, and go through http://www.canadianaffair.com they offer flights from about £160 each way.

Back to the drawing board I think.

Edit: Canadian Affair say their tickets are non changeable and non refundable though. Going through AirCanada, which I believe Bunac does, I got £200 odd each way. The group flight involves a free shirt and phonecard, and a night in a hostel with travel to it arranged.. Plus a contact list of everyone's name/number who is on the group flight.

ReputationRep:
    Group flight to Toronto is £496 in the low season, £756 in the high season which is July and August. Though I've been looking, and if I shift the days slightly, and go through http://www.canadianaffair.com they offer flights from about £160 each way.

Back to the drawing board I think.

Edit: Canadian Affair say their tickets are non changeable and non refundable though. Going through AirCanada, which I believe Bunac does, I got £200 odd each way. The group flight involves a free shirt and phonecard, and a night in a hostel with travel to it arranged.. Plus a contact list of everyone's name/number who is on the group flight.
    Yeah that canadianaffair looks pretty handy... they have £159 for Gatwick to Vancouver, sounds ideal... will probably use that for a trip back to the UK to see family at some point during my year. Is the group flight £496 return, because I like all the details you mention and the changeable dates are much better!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.