Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Yeah that canadianaffair looks pretty handy... they have £159 for Gatwick to Vancouver, sounds ideal... will probably use that for a trip back to the UK to see family at some point during my year. Is the group flight £496 return, because I like all the details you mention and the changeable dates are much better!
    Yep, £496 return. I've gotta be honest, part of the reason I'm going with the group flight is because flying freaks me the hell out. I'd rather be with a bunch of people all going to Canada with the same reason as me, so we've at least got something in common as opposed to being sat in a chair surrounded by people I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasuil)
    well I am pretty screwed ^^ went to pay the fee and it told me there are no non-student visa's left, although they told me there would be places left untill the end of january.
    have just them a few very upset emails
    i'm so upset...i feel like crying.
    Non student application route has RE-OPENED according to the BUNAC homepage!!!

ReputationRep:
    Non student application route has RE-OPENED according to the BUNAC homepage!!!
    :O YAY! i got an email about it too I'm gonna pay the fee tonight
    so i am officially going now! so happy, because i was very upset when i found they had none left in January.
    Does anyone else plan to go in Late September?

ReputationRep:
    That's great guys, I'm really glad it's opened up again Hopefully some of you will be in Canada the same time I am now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarless Hero)
    That's great guys, I'm really glad it's opened up again Hopefully some of you will be in Canada the same time I am now
    when are you gonna go? I'm thinking late september.

Also, where do you guys think it is best to fly out too? I want to ideally visit BC while I'm in Canada, but would it be more cost efficient for me to fly into Toronto and then travel across Canada to BC or fly straight to Vancouver/whatever? I really need to look into all this now I am definatly going

ReputationRep:

Also, where do you guys think it is best to fly out too? I want to ideally visit BC while I'm in Canada, but would it be more cost efficient for me to fly into Toronto and then travel across Canada to BC or fly straight to Vancouver/whatever? I really need to look into all this now I am definatly going
    Fly into wherever you want to be based for your year. Vancouver generally isn't that much more to fly into in terms of cost, and the last thing you want to be doing after an 8 hour flight is faffing about trying to work out how you're going to get to BC with a load of luggage. Whichever you want to be based in, just go there and then organise a trip to the other location once you can call somewhere home sweet home

ReputationRep:

May the 19th, to Toronto

And as ChrisBan says, it's probably easier to fly straight to where you'd like to be for the year, rather than it being your first few days in a new country and you're navigating your way across it.

ReputationRep:
    hmm. i'll probably fly to vancouver then, even if it is a little more pricey

ReputationRep:
    hmm. i'll probably fly to vancouver then, even if it is a little more pricey
    Take an umbrella... or make sure its one of your first purchases... in a year it rains 2 or 3 times more than in London, its more evident in the winter, summer is pretty dry

ReputationRep:
    Take an umbrella... or make sure its one of your first purchases... in a year it rains 2 or 3 times more than in London, its more evident in the winter, summer is pretty dry
    i really want to see BC though ;.; well i am going to the Work Canada presentation in London next week anyways so I guess they might give me some pros and cons for each area

ReputationRep:
    i really want to see BC though ;.; well i am going to the Work Canada presentation in London next week anyways so I guess they might give me some pros and cons for each area
    Ohh don't let it put you off, I'd much rather take a rainy Vancouver winter over anything the UK has to offer :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Ohh don't let it put you off, I'd much rather take a rainy Vancouver winter over anything the UK has to offer :woo:
    So do most people go to Toronto? Can anyone give me some good sites to look at about the best areas to go to? Also where I could send applications for jobs, like shops.
    However, I wouldn't mind doing some teaching whilst I'm there - would that require the £100> healthcheck thing though?

ReputationRep:
    So do most people go to Toronto? Can anyone give me some good sites to look at about the best areas to go to? Also where I could send applications for jobs, like shops.
    However, I wouldn't mind doing some teaching whilst I'm there - would that require the £100> healthcheck thing though?
    I'm not sure.
    If you look at http://www.travbuddy.com/Canada-travel-guide-c6 Vancouver is more popular, 600 plan to go there, as opposed to 400 planning to go to Toronto. I think Vancouvers reputation as the world's most liveable city make it more appealing. It has a strange combo of beaches and mountains, warm summers and mild winters, yet you could travel outwards towards Whistler for a proper winter season.

As for teaching, I think you need a medical for that

ReputationRep:
    yeah I guess i can't do teaching. nevermidn ^_^
    anyway, is anyone going to the Work Canada presentation in London on Tuesday? would be nice to meet some people

ReputationRep:
    Hey Lasuil, I've just got me work authorisation letter through and am hoping to fly out in late september/early october. Will you be getting the group flight? I'm going to be basing myself in Toronto.

If you want to look at jobs and stuff before you go, check out this website:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/

It has a job ads bit with loads of different sections. But specifically check out the 'missed connections' bit...it's pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SRVvelvetslash)
    Hey Lasuil, I've just got me work authorisation letter through and am hoping to fly out in late september/early october. Will you be getting the group flight? I'm going to be basing myself in Toronto.

If you want to look at jobs and stuff before you go, check out this website:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/

It has a job ads bit with loads of different sections. But specifically check out the 'missed connections' bit...it's pretty funny.
    Hiya will probably get a group flight but at the moment probably to Vancouver since it is nearer British Columbia (which is where I'd like to go). Thanks for the link, I will check it out ^_^

When I apply for the police check do I have to give them my passport details?

ReputationRep:
    To Lasuil...you dont have send your passport off but you do need to send off your passport number and expiry date.

Has anybody sorted out their insurance yet?? I am currently doing this and have read from a forum on the facebook page that it is a nightmare. Need to make sure I'm covered for everything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SRVvelvetslash)
    To Lasuil...you dont have send your passport off but you do need to send off your passport number and expiry date.

Has anybody sorted out their insurance yet?? I am currently doing this and have read from a forum on the facebook page that it is a nightmare. Need to make sure I'm covered for everything...
    I got mine through ACE insurance, £218 for 13 months (wasn't sure about when I was going to go exactly, when I booked the insurance policy) which is less than half of the price I got quoted through Endsleigh. ACE seem to pretty good if you don't plan on doing a lot of winter sports, from what I read on the FB page it's that that drives up the price a ton

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me when the latest possible leaving date is if you're on this years programme? is it january

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me when the latest possible leaving date is if you're on this years programme? is it january
    Jan 31st 2011

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.