Turn on thread page Beta

DJ plays 'Jump' song for suicidal woman watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I found it hilarious.

I mean, the way I think about it - if you want to kill yourself DO IT !! don't just make a big ol' "OMG look at me" drama about it, esp when it annoys others [the drivers]

A British DJ has come underfire from mental health groups after playing Van Halen's "Jump" moments before a suicidal woman leapt from a bridge.

Steve Penk was broadcasting on 96.2FM The Revolution recently when four lanes of the M60 had to be closed because of the drama.

As police attempted to talk the woman down, a listener phoned in to request the rock classic, which was then aired.

Penk played it after expressing his sympathy for road users, but the unidentified individual then jumped from the 30ft bridge.

She only suffered minor injuries but the DJ has been slammed for his actions and accused of acting in "very poor taste" by Mind.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for The Samaritans commented: "It shows a lack of compassion and understanding".

Some listeners were also outraged by Penk's behaviour, with Lorna Guinn calling it "pathetic and nasty".

"It's irresponsible - this woman could have overheard it on someone's car stereo", she said.

However, Penk has insisted he would do the same thing again. "The entire area had been thrown into total chaos by a single troubled woman.

"I was very sorry to hear that the lady had subsequently jumped from the bridge but relieved that her injuries were minor.

"If, as has been suggested, the woman jumped because she heard it from a passing car radio that's unfortunate. But I don't regret playing it for a minute", he said.

source: http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna...ml&e=l_news_dm

ReputationRep:
    Very, very insensitive. I have some trouble believing it would actually have affected whether she jumped or not, but it's grossly inappropriate nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    lol that's harsh. The DJ was just giving what his listeners wanted, no? Did he know the lady was goin to be listenin to it or somethin?

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I think it was a stupid thing to do, I at least give him some respect for sticking to his guns.

ReputationRep:
    Those cheesy synths are enough to make anyone "Jump"...

ReputationRep:
    I like people who don't give a **** what people think and stand up for what they believe in (he didn't go apologizing afterwards), insensitive legend, but a legend nonetheless :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Good record, why shouldn't he play it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh how hilarious, lets all mock the person going through severe emotional trauma and feeling so bad they feel the need to end their life. That'd be ******* funny. Or not.

ReputationRep:
    You know, this is bloody typical - what the hell kind of argument is 'What if she heard a car stereo going past and the song 'Jump' was playing'?

I notice the article says 4 lanes of the M4 were closed, how exactly was a car playing it with the windows open going to go past if they were?

Good on him for standing his ground against the terminally-outraged morons that plague this country.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh good old Steve Penk. Used to love his show on Capital.

"penky, penky, throw him in the thames..." brilliant jingle

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2:

I feel sorry for the woman but man, if I were him the temptation to play it would be too great for me as well. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    lolzords.

Yeh. If you were serious about killing yourself you would really have just jumped straight off.

If you want to grab the attention of the world because your life has "meaning" and you "need to be remembered when you die" it's just attention seeking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenPetal)
    lolzords.

Yeh. If you were serious about killing yourself you would really have just jumped straight off.

If you want to grab the attention of the world because your life has "meaning" and you "need to be remembered when you die" it's just attention seeking.
    My sentiments exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Very, very insensitive. I have some trouble believing it would actually have affected whether she jumped or not, but it's grossly inappropriate nonetheless.
    grossly inappropiate? and threatening to jump off a bridge, waiting a while to hold the traffic up and then actually jumping off a bridge, thats not grossly inappropiate? No?

insensitive, i think not, i think people have to take their sticks outta their asses and realise that life goes on and yes i would have played the song and infact if i had been there i would have put it full blast so she could hear it and then maybe realise how stupid she was being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macattack_)
    grossly inappropiate? and threatening to jump off a bridge, waiting a while to hold the traffic up and then actually jumping off a bridge, thats not grossly inappropiate? No?

insensitive, i think not, i think people have to take their sticks outta their asses and realise that life goes on and yes i would have played the song and infact if i had been there i would have put it full blast so she could hear it and then maybe realise how stupid she was being.
    :facepalm2:

For one to consider the value of a life less than the convenience of some tired commuters on the M60 is abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    lets get into a debate then about the value of life etc etc or not i have more important things to do.

i do not value anything either higher than the other i just think that saying that a dj whose job it is to play music was grossly inappropiate to play a song regardless of what the song was is laughable. He did nothing wrong, yeah we all are supposed to feel sorry for this woman, because she jumped off a bridge big deal, millions die every day and they don't have a choice i think that is grossly inappropiate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    :facepalm2:

For one to consider the value of a life less than the convenience of some tired commuters on the M60 is abhorrent.
    Riddle me this, why should all the people who've been held up on the motorway care about her life if she obviously doesn't? If she's decided to jump off a bridge, that's her choice, she should've just got on with it. Instead, she stands there and goes "uh, i might have not thought this through" after literaly bringing a whole motorway to a halt. Plus it's not like he gave her a push, he just played a song, i can't imagine that she's so unconfident that she needs a DJ to tell her whether or not to take her own life..

ReputationRep:
    I think that Stayin Alive by the Bee Gees would have been a better song to play. She may not have jumped to that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid Android 64)
    Those cheesy synths are enough to make anyone "Jump"...
    'Go aheaaaad jump!'

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.