Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    :facepalm2:

For one to consider the value of a life less than the convenience of some tired commuters on the M60 is abhorrent.
    Well, the woman clearly didn't value her life at all because she wanted to end it. The point here is that if she really wanted to commit suicide, she doesn't have to do it by jumping off a bridge (that really isn't high enough to cause death unless you jump headfirst or land terribly). People who do this kind of thing aren't looking to kill themselves, they are looking for attention. People who really want to commit suicide take overdoses of medicine or throw themselves in front of trains.

ReputationRep:
    Does this mean I get the DJs in trouble for telling me to 'Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight for this love' when beating up my love rival?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    Well, the woman clearly didn't value her life at all because she wanted to end it. The point here is that if she really wanted to commit suicide, she doesn't have to do it by jumping off a bridge (that really isn't high enough to cause death unless you jump headfirst or land terribly). People who do this kind of thing aren't looking to kill themselves, they are looking for attention. People who really want to commit suicide take overdoses of medicine or throw themselves in front of trains.
    First you say she 'wanted to end it' and then you're saying she's merely 'looking for attention'. Make your mind up; regardless of the end product, people don't jump off bridges for no reason; the height of which and the potential risk of doing so are irrevelant here. Her mental state, however, is not, and for that reason the DJ was completely irresponsible for doing this and regardless of whether she heard the song or not he was an insensitive ****.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that she wanted to commit suicide gives a clear indication that, in the most likelihood, she was not thinking properly or that she felt she was under some immense pressure that could not be removed. These people need to be helped. Moreover, does the fact that you believe she wanted attention negate from society's responsibility to help her? People in this situation do not thinking logically. Lastly, it is actually fairly difficult to kill yourself with common medicine. In most cases you just **** up your liver.

ReputationRep:
    LOLOLOL the DJ playing Jump for a suicidal woman is just about as funny as the recent tragic earthquake in Haiti :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    People need to get over it. Its just a song! What is the world coming to..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakina101)
    Oh, so you wouldn't object if someone played 'Let's get the party started' at your funeral? It's just a song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sakina101)
    Ugh. Emotionless robots like you: what is the world coming to?

ReputationRep:
    Steve Penk! I use to listen to him on Capital Radio when he did his late night show.

Didn't know he was still around, thanks for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Oh, so you wouldn't object if someone played 'Let's get the party started' at your funeral? It's just a song.
    I dunno what that song is, but i'd rather have that played than some really depressing funeral song..

ReputationRep:
    The fact that she wanted to commit suicide gives a clear indication that, in the most likelihood, she was not thinking properly or that she felt she was under some immense pressure that could not be removed. These people need to be helped. Moreover, does the fact that you believe she wanted attention negate from society's responsibility to help her? People in this situation do not thinking logically. Lastly, it is actually fairly difficult to kill yourself with common medicine. In most cases you just **** up your liver.
    The point we are discussing isn't if she should have help or not. I think almost everyone can agree that suicide is bad. The point I should/was trying to make is that playing jump doesn't effect this woman at all, but it does provide a comedy value which makes it easier for the thousands of people sitting in a queue because of her.

As for commiting suicide, a lot of people do actually become surprising logical about it. Not many suicide attempts are spur of the moment madness things, people feel over a long time that they have nothing to live for and that it would be better if they died. Its not like a murder in the heat of the moment, you don't get angry and kill yourself, you get steadily more depressed over a long period of time and then finally decide to end it.

As for killing yourself with an overdose, it depends entirely on what you take. Sure if you take paracetemol then you are just going to screw your liver, if you took asprin however, you would kill yourself through internal bleeding rather easily. People tend not to realise this fact and assume because of the labels its easy to kill yourself with any overdose.

(Original post by 35mm_)
    First you say she 'wanted to end it' and then you're saying she's merely 'looking for attention'. Make your mind up; regardless of the end product, people don't jump off bridges for no reason; the height of which and the potential risk of doing so are irrevelant here. Her mental state, however, is not, and for that reason the DJ was completely irresponsible for doing this and regardless of whether she heard the song or not he was an insensitive ****.
    Well, whichever of the points you take, its the same. She either wanted to end it, and thus why should we care about her when she doesn't care about herself? Or she didn't want to end it and did just want us to care about her, either way going to jump off a bridge isn't the way to do either of them.

The DJ is responding to what his listeners want, if I was in a queue because someone was trying to commit suicide and this played i'd find it funny, and it'd make it easier for me being stuck in the queue. You seem to be crazily offended by something that had no effect on her, apart from a possible indirect effect. Why aren't you mad at people for spending money on swimming pools, they aren't required, and they have the indirect effect that the money could save lots of lives in africa/other poor places. Go be mad at them, they deserve it more.

ReputationRep:
    Big funnies imo

ReputationRep:
    Sure if you take paracetemol then you are just going to screw your liver, if you took asprin however, you would kill yourself through internal bleeding rather easily. People tend not to realise this fact and assume because of the labels its easy to kill yourself with any overdose.
    It would take about 60 aspirin pills to properly do yourself in. It is very difficult to fatally overdose on over-the-counter pills. Usually a stomach pump or a toxic acid (can't remember the technical name) will sort out overdoses. (Prescribed) Sleeping pills are the best form of overdose if you really want to die, tbh. Take over ten of those and you're virtually dead and buried.
    Well, whichever of the points you take, its the same. She either wanted to end it, and thus why should we care about her when she doesn't care about herself? Or she didn't want to end it and did just want us to care about her, either way going to jump off a bridge isn't the way to do either of them.
    Sigh. She doesn't care about her life because she's in a terrible state of mind. Most people who are suicidal are going through some form of mental distortion. It is our duty to help them and care for them even if they don't care for themselves, regardless of how incompassionate you claim we should be. I certainly think a woman's life is far more important than a bit of traffic on the motorway.

I do hope you never go through anything that makes you even remotely suicidal. You clearly have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    The point we are discussing isn't if she should have help or not. I think almost everyone can agree that suicide is bad. The point I should/was trying to make is that playing jump doesn't effect this woman at all, but it does provide a comedy value which makes it easier for the thousands of people sitting in a queue because of her.

As for commiting suicide, a lot of people do actually become surprising logical about it. Not many suicide attempts are spur of the moment madness things, people feel over a long time that they have nothing to live for and that it would be better if they died. Its not like a murder in the heat of the moment, you don't get angry and kill yourself, you get steadily more depressed over a long period of time and then finally decide to end it.

As for killing yourself with an overdose, it depends entirely on what you take. Sure if you take paracetemol then you are just going to screw your liver, if you took asprin however, you would kill yourself through internal bleeding rather easily. People tend not to realise this fact and assume because of the labels its easy to kill yourself with any overdose.
    Yes, you are right, it does not directly affect this particular women, but neither would desecrating the graves of holocaust victims. Simply because it does not directly affect the person in question does not provide it with an ounce of legitimacy. Suicide is not a subject with an instinct comic value. It should not be treated light-heatedly. I despise the thought of thousands of people all finding a woman, who is contemplating whether to kill herself, as an object of humour, effectively making a mockery out of her mental disorder.

There is nothing logical about suicide. You seem to attribute the fact that some people can be organised about their intentions to kill themselves as evidence that people can be rational about suicide. This is not the case. In the majority of cases, there is a long period of intense depression where the person in question becomes withdrawn from society, sees no end to their problems and generally comes to feel that their is no point in their existence. These things are all highly irrational. Solely because people are capable of devising methods in order to kill themselves does not mean that they are thinking rationally. The fact that many people take months deliberating does not mean that in the end they are thinking logically, rather it only ensures that they have suffered months of torment within which it has become borne into their mind that there is no other option than to kill themselves.

And lastly, Aspirin is not particularly effective when trying to kill yourself. It will result in immense pain which lasts for a considerable period of time. It burns the gastrointestinal tract, alters the blood's pH, deprives the brain of oxygen, completely messes up the functioning of the liver and kidneys and can result in deafness. In short, it is not effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    It would take about 60 aspirin pills to properly do yourself in. It is very difficult to fatally overdose on over-the-counter pills. Usually a stomach pump or a toxic acid (can't remember the technical name) will sort out overdoses. (Prescribed) Sleeping pills are the best form of overdose if you really want to die, tbh. Take over ten of those and you're virtually dead and buried.

Sigh. She doesn't care about her life because she's in a terrible state of mind. Most people who are suicidal are going through some form of mental distortion. It is our duty to help them and care for them even if they don't care for themselves, regardless of how incompassionate you claim we should be. I certainly think a woman's life is far more important than a bit of traffic on the motorway.

I do hope you never go through anything that makes you even remotely suicidal. You clearly have no idea.
    60 pills? A quick google shows acute poisoning due to asprin occurs from about 100mg/kg of bodyweight upwards, The stuff I have upstairs lists itself as 300 mg/tablet. Thats 20 pills, or just one packet for someone who weighs about 60kg. Unless you get to a hospital fast it does kill you.

Regardless, why is it our duty to stop her doing what she wants? Clearly she feels her own life is crap and that she has nothing to live for, once we check this and that she doesn't have a mental condition that is cureable and is causing her depression, then if she still wants to kill herself she should be allowed to do so.

Oh and don't bring personal stuff into arguments when you have no idea what you are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are right, it does not directly affect this particular women, but neither would desecrating the graves of holocaust victims. Simply because it does not directly affect the person in question does not provide it with an ounce of legitimacy. Suicide is not a subject with an instinct comic value. It should not be treated light-heatedly. I despise the thought of thousands of people all finding a woman, who is contemplating whether to kill herself, as an object of humour, effectively making a mockery out of her mental disorder.

There is nothing logical about suicide. You seem to attribute the fact that some people can be organised about their intentions to kill themselves as evidence that people can be rational about suicide. This is not the case. In the majority of cases, there is a long period of intense depression where the person in question becomes withdrawn from society, sees no end to their problems and generally comes to feel that their is no point in their existence. These things are all highly irrational. Solely because people are capable of devising methods in order to kill themselves does not mean that they are thinking rationally. The fact that many people take months deliberating does not mean that in the end they are thinking logically, rather it only ensures that they have suffered months of torment within which it has become borne into their mind that there is no other option than to kill themselves.

And lastly, Aspirin is not particularly effective when trying to kill yourself. It will result in immense pain which lasts for a considerable period of time. It burns the gastrointestinal tract, alters the blood's pH, deprives the brain of oxygen, completely messes up the functioning of the liver and kidneys and can result in deafness. In short, it is not effective.
    Personally I think when your dead thats it, so if you wanted to desecrate my grave when i'm gone feel free to, I actually couldn't give a damn. But thats a different discussion.

I don't see how wanting to live is rational? For example, If I had a button which destroyed the universe, give me a purely rational reason to care more about pressing the button than say, scratching my nose.

When people plan to kill themselves, and do so in a rational manner having decided they would prefer death over life, show me the irrationality? It doesn't exist, there is no irrationality, you are just prejudiced, your emotion of wanting to stay alive over-rides your rationality.

ReputationRep:
    I lol'd

ReputationRep:
    60 pills? A quick google shows acute poisoning due to asprin occurs from about 100mg/kg of bodyweight upwards, The stuff I have upstairs lists itself as 300 mg/tablet. Thats 20 pills, or just one packet for someone who weighs about 60kg. Unless you get to a hospital fast it does kill you.
    Sorry. What I meant was that an aspirin overdose is incredibly difficult to do/fatally do, because it simply irritates the stomach lining, thus making people throw the contents of their stomach up before it becomes fatal and causes internal bleeding. If you're continually throwing up (which you would be) it'd take about 60 pills to do the job.
    Regardless, why is it our duty to stop her doing what she wants? Clearly she feels her own life is crap and that she has nothing to live for, once we check this and that she doesn't have a mental condition that is cureable and is causing her depression, then if she still wants to kill herself she should be allowed to do so.
    Because things can and do change. Those who want to kill themselves do not see this. A problem can be eliminated and I think the figure is something like 90+% of people who attempt suicide do suffer from some form of manic depression.
    Oh and don't bring personal stuff into arguments when you have no idea what you are talking about.
    I do know what I'm talking about. I've attempted it before and I am so grateful for the people who stopped me before it became fatal. You, on the other hand, clearly don't know what you're talking about or you wouldn't be so insensitive and claim that people should simply be allowed to kill themselves because they're a nuisance to car travellers everywhere :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Sorry. What I meant was that an aspirin overdose is incredibly difficult to do/fatally do, because it simply irritates the stomach lining, thus making people throw the contents of their stomach up before it becomes fatal and causes internal bleeding. If you're continually throwing up (which you would be) it'd take about 60 pills to do the job.

Because things can and do change. Those who want to kill themselves do not see this. A problem can be eliminated and I think the figure is something like 90+% of people who attempt suicide do suffer from some form of manic depression.

I do know what I'm talking about. I've attempted it before and I am so grateful for the people who stopped me before it became fatal. You, on the other hand, clearly don't know what you're talking about or you wouldn't be so insensitive and claim that people should simply be allowed to kill themselves because they're a nuisance to car travellers everywhere :rolleyes:
    Yeah things can always change, is that a justified reason for preventing people from doing what they want? Not really no. Things could get worse as well as better, and not everyone who tries to commit suicide has a mental disorder. Some people just don't want to exist anymore.

You know what you are talking about for yourself, but you're claiming that I wouldn't know anything about it personally, without any evidence apart from the fact you are guessing from my attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wly)
    I think that Stayin Alive by the Bee Gees would have been a better song to play. She may not have jumped to that one.
    :rofl:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.