Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevelvetonion)
    If the woman was on a 30ft bridge then how the hell would she have possibly heard it? She would not have been able to hear it from a car radio ffs. And she hardly would have just happened to have been listening to his radio show with earphones or something if she was about to commit suicide.

Soemone rang in and requested it, so he played it. No big deal. Its not like hes gonna say 'no sorry I can't play that song because a woman is on a bridge and she might somehow amazingly hear this song and then it will be all my fault if she jumps noooo'

Anyone could be about to commit suicide and a song like that happens to come on the radio, its not the radio DJs fault.
    ^ what she said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevelvetonion)
    If the woman was on a 30ft bridge then how the hell would she have possibly heard it? She would not have been able to hear it from a car radio ffs. And she hardly would have just happened to have been listening to his radio show with earphones or something if she was about to commit suicide.

Soemone rang in and requested it, so he played it. No big deal. Its not like hes gonna say 'no sorry I can't play that song because a woman is on a bridge and she might somehow amazingly hear this song and then it will be all my fault if she jumps noooo'

Anyone could be about to commit suicide and a song like that happens to come on the radio, its not the radio DJs fault.
    Another person completely missing the point. People aren't annoyed because he played a requested song that co-incided with the attempted suicide of a woman. They're annoyed that this DJ joked about the incident minutes before he played the song, an obvious parody of the whole situation. The fact that he sympathised more with motorists rather than this woman just reinforces what a prat he is.

ReputationRep:
    The idea that certain songs should not be played on the radio because some screwball is thinking about doing themselves in is ludicrous.

I think I might put the song on one of the CDs in my car just incase such an occasion arises, and the radio stations aren't as willing as they were in this particular occasion.

ReputationRep:
    Roffle.

ReputationRep:
    lol that's pretty jokes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Another person completely missing the point. People aren't annoyed because he played a requested song that co-incided with the attempted suicide of a woman. They're annoyed that this DJ joked about the incident minutes before he played the song, an obvious parody of the whole situation. The fact that he sympathised more with motorists rather than this woman just reinforces what a prat he is.
    Err, not really. I'm fairly sure the DJ would have sympathised fully with the woman if she had, say, decided to toss herself off a building on a secluded street, or if she had decided to toss herself off a cliff.

Motorists HAVE to the use the roads to drive. They don't have another option. Suicidal morons don't HAVE to use the roads to kill themselves, they have a variety of options.

So I too, sympathise with the motorists in this particular case, because their ONLY resource was being used up by some ill-justified moron who had several other resources at their disposal that would not have caused a major disruption. If somebody wants to die, so be it. But they should not be arrogant enough to think that the ending of their lives is worth upsetting the rest of us who want to live and get on with it.

Selfish cow.

When I first read the title I thought it was referring to the Girls Aloud song...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Err, not really. I'm fairly sure the DJ would have sympathised fully with the woman if she had, say, decided to toss herself off a building on a secluded street, or if she had decided to toss herself off a cliff.

Motorists HAVE to the use the roads to drive. They don't have another option. Suicidal morons don't HAVE to use the roads to kill themselves, they have a variety of options.

So I too, sympathise with the motorists in this particular case, because their ONLY resource was being used up by some ill-justified moron who had several other resources at their disposal that would not have caused a major disruption. If somebody wants to die, so be it. But they should not be arrogant enough to think that the ending of their lives is worth upsetting the rest of us who want to live and get on with it.

Selfish cow.
    The fact that this woman was prepared to throw herself off a bridge illustrates the degradation of her mental state. Her first thought wouldn't have been 'oh lord, what about the motorists!?'. You can call her a moron, i'll just call her desperate. And the point is that the DJ played the song as a direct response to the situation, which makes it heartless and as selfish as you're claiming her to be.

ReputationRep:
    What an insensitive idiot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    The fact that this woman was prepared to throw herself off a bridge illustrates the degradation of her mental state. Her first thought wouldn't have been 'oh lord, what about the motorists!?'. You can call her a moron, i'll just call her desperate. And the point is that the DJ played the song as a direct response to the situation, which makes it heartless and as selfish as you're claiming her to be.
    Regardless of her motives or lack thereof, she was causing a massive disruption to traffic. The DJ empathised with the motorists who just want to get on with life, and he played a song that reflected what they were all thinking.

ReputationRep:
    See if guns were legal then this **** wouldn't happen. Unless they shoot themselves on the freeway.

ReputationRep:
    My mum was late for work because of this traffic jam, and enjoyed the lulz of hearing this song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Not condoning suicide positively correlates to being a virgin and having no friends?

Yeah, I think not.
    I heard it's got a correlation coefficient of 1, has it not?
    My bad, I guess I must have to take back everything I said up there :-\

ReputationRep:
    did the dj actually know about the woman about to jump off a bridge?

ReputationRep:
    Van Halen!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    did the dj actually know about the woman about to jump off a bridge?
    Yes

However, Penk has insisted he would do the same thing again. "The entire area had been thrown into total chaos by a single troubled woman.

"I was very sorry to hear that the lady had subsequently jumped from the bridge but relieved that her injuries were minor.

ReputationRep:
    Ironic that - but when you think about it the irony isn't particularly funny to be frank.

What's offensive is the way that the incident is making light of the woman's mental health problems here - even if she's causing a major motorway to be closed causing disruption to loads of motorists.

How do you think the family and friends this woman had would be feeling knowing a radio DJ decided to belittle her situation in such a way?

ReputationRep:

Selfish cow.
    Good understanding of the severity of clinical depression and the utter misery and ruin it can inflict.

Regardless of her motives or lack thereof, she was causing a massive disruption to traffic. The DJ empathised with the motorists who just want to get on with life, and he played a song that reflected what they were all thinking.
    How laughably presumptuous.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody kills themselves because they hear a song, and if they do it's them that has the problem and not the person who played the song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    just cut your wrists in the bath like a normal person
    :lolwut:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.