Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Teaching becoming 'Elitist' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do we make of David Cameron's proposals for improving the teaching profession?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8464916.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    David Cameron is a jack ass. i really hope he doesn't get elected.
    You're a jack ass. Come up with a constructive arguement next time.

ReputationRep:
    God. He's a bit of an idiot. He's always making stupid statements and proposals, that are just useless. He never says anything that would really benefit the Uk. God knows what he'd do if he ran the country. :/

ReputationRep:
    It's all good and well getting better people into the teaching profession, but it's just a waste of talent if they are going to be teaching the same things that are being taught now - after all, with the record top grades, clearly the current system is "working" just fine.

What needs to be done is giving those students with potential the opportunities to flourish, eg, fast track programes for people who are good at maths, better links between universities and schools, better links between the private sector and schools, science and maths competitions- both individual and team work. Basically, new opportunities and greater flexibility, and then you need better people to do that, you don't need better people to do what is already being done.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I like the idea of improving the quality of teachers but I don't think that just making the cut off point a 2.2 for entry to graduate programs will necessarily help anything. The system is obviously more likely to favor those with higher degree classifications anyway.

Getting people from successful careers into teach I don't know rings of a gimmick really, it may be helpful to improving aspirations in children if their teachers have first hand experience of 'making it' but I doubt success in one field equates to being a good teacher.

I think the only way to make a profession more 'elitist' is to improve the salary but then how do you deal with the interim between the now and the profession becoming elitist and how do you afford it whilst also cutting the education budget?

Moreover why just have better teachers in arguably an rigid system that is just teaching people to pass exams rather than actually teaching them, surely the best would be to improve the framework for teaching not just the 'quality' of teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    You're a jack ass. Come up with a constructive arguement next time.
    Well, my God. Pray, tell us whats so absolutely marvellous about Cameron. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    David Cameron is a jack ass. i really hope he doesn't get elected.
    Except he will, so poor you.

I think it's a brilliant idea, most primary/secondary school teachers are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceDiveFresh)
    I'm not sure I like the idea of improving the quality of teachers but I don't think that just making the cut off point a 2.2 for entry to graduate programs will necessarily help anything. The system is obviously more likely to favor those with higher degree classifications anyway.

Getting people from successful careers into teach I don't know rings of a gimmick really, it may be helpful to improving aspirations in children if their teachers have first hand experience of 'making it' but I doubt success in one field equates to being a good teacher.

I think the only way to make a profession more 'elitist' is to improve the salary but then how do you deal with the interim between the now and the profession becoming elitist and how do you afford it whilst also cutting the education budget?
    I don't know... all the teachers I had, the ones who went into teaching after being a professional or something really were better at the job, but that could just be coincidence.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Who wants an idiot for a teacher?

If you want to become a teacher why should it be acceptable to allow people who did not manage to get anything better in their degree than a 3rd to teach the next generation in that exact subject?

ReputationRep:
    use of the word "elitist" was unfortunate coming from the tories lol.

Better educated teachers are probably a good idea, so long as this doesnt cause a major teacher shortage.

also there is the fact that a good degree does not make a good teacher, however it definately will help the brighter kids! i went to a crap comp, and my english lit teacher had a first from cambridge and he was class, but then he was working wit a class of 6 who could hack lit at A 2. Conversely my business teacher who was REALLY thick, was useless, but she was dealing with 28 chavvy northern kids such as myself who didnt respect her whatsoever. Tiz all a sliding scale, but i think the concept has possibilties....

ReputationRep:
    Its a load of crap, Cameron is likely to make up some new ******** policies to get the middle class on his side. For every Daily Mail Outrage, there is a Tory policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceDiveFresh)
    What do we make of David Cameron's proposals for improving the teaching profession?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8464916.stm
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    God. He's a bit of an idiot. He's always making stupid statements and proposals, that are just useless. He never says anything that would really benefit the Uk. God knows what he'd do if he ran the country. :/
    give us some examples
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Samrout)
    Its a load of crap, Cameron is likely to make up some new ******** policies to get the middle class on his side. For every Daily Mail Outrage, there is a Tory policy.
    So our education system is fantastic and there are absolutely no problems in the NHS or society?

Are you joking?

Who reads the daily mail anyway, they get abused by everyone, i really want to know who is reading it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Who wants an idiot for a teacher?

If you want to become a teacher why should it be acceptable to allow people who did not manage to get anything better in their degree than a 3rd to teach the next generation in that exact subject?
    Anyone with a 3rd should certainly be able to teach that subject at high-school level.

I had a good maths teacher with a 3rd - he was perfectly capable of anything A levels threw at him. Also had an even better maths teacher with no degree at all. All she had was a D at maths A level, but she was ecellent, and very capable indeed.

That said, those were "old school" teachers, not some 21 year old ***** who spent their their years at uni on facebook and msn.

ReputationRep:
    The comprehensive I went to for secondary school was full of useless teachers with a handful of knowledgeable and inspiring teachers, who made a notable difference in the grades of those in the class as well as making people less disruptive. The idea is a good one, although they're going to need more than that to recruit for certain subjects where other professions simply pay more.

ReputationRep:
    Give teachers a 6 figure salary and a bonus for every A* or A they churn out if you want to improve teaching lol

Don't get a certain amount ie 30% C 40%B 30% A then off you go

Hell i'd become a teacher if that was the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    give us some examples
    To be honest, i can't be arsed. Watch the news every day, and you'd find some examples then, if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    Ahaah, that is so true.

ReputationRep:
    i havnt had this problem of not vey intelligent teachers at my school (half of the teachers seem to have gone to oxbridge) but i know from friends at comprehensives who have a lot of teachers who really arent bothered and are just teaching as its a job and in some cases know less than those they are teaching relying on textbooks.

I dont know if anyone remembers the Armstrong and Miller sketch - 'blabla etc....i failed in life...so thats when i decided to become a teacher.' Hopefully DC's policy will rid us of this seemingly true stereotype

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.