Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My question is

'Explore the theme of deceit in Othello and All My Sons'

Currently planning and starting to get all of my notes together in order to get a draft done fairly soon.

If anyone has any suggestions or whatnot, I wouldn't mind the help

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I studied All My Sons for AS and have read a few other Arthur Miller plays, so would be happy to try to help if you want to PM/quote me with specific questions? Am now on gap year though so am a tad rusty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaymee)
    Hello! I studied All My Sons for AS and have read a few other Arthur Miller plays, so would be happy to try to help if you want to PM/quote me with specific questions? Am now on gap year though so am a tad rusty.
    Hey! Even a tiny bit of help would be useful, I'm not feeling all that confident about my coursework :O

Well what with my question being about deceit i'm looking at:
    - The perpetrator's motives
    - 'Types' of deceit
    - Victims of deceit
    - Effects of deceit
    - Stuff about at the end about whether the truth is 'truly revealed'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehhh)
    Hey! Even a tiny bit of help would be useful, I'm not feeling all that confident about my coursework :O

Well what with my question being about deceit i'm looking at:
    - The perpetrator's motives
    - 'Types' of deceit
    - Victims of deceit
    - Effects of deceit
    - Stuff about at the end about whether the truth is 'truly revealed'

Right... I'll see what I can come up with:

- It's important that you first define what you perceive as 'deceit'. Also, consider whether you deem any kinds of deceit to be more acceptable than others (is it acceptable to deceive to protect yourself? your family? your neighbourhood?) as this may lead to a somewhat biased argument that doesn't directly draw its evidence from the text, but rather depends on personal prejudices.

- A lot of the characters could be accused of deceiving others to greater or lesser extents, on macrocosmic and microcosmic levels: Joe deceives the family, the American people and himself - which of these does Miller present as the worst kind of deceit? Kate deceives herself regarding the death of Larry, but this is a kind of self-preservation - does Miller present this as an acceptable kind of deceit? How do the other characters respond? Deceit of the self is indeed a prominent theme and one of the most important examples of this is demonstrated in Chris - Jim Bayliss suggests that Chris has been deceived by the society in which he was brought up which has led him to develop a false sense of idealism: "Every man does have a star. The star of one's honesty. And you spend your life groping for it, but once it's out it never lights again." Once Chris becomes aware of the deception, the absence of honesty in the world, he himself seems to collapse - it is as if Chris represents a kind of cycle of deceit and decay.

- Who does Miller present to be a 'victim' of deceit? Is Kate both victim and perpetrator of her self-preservational deceit? To what extent is the audience deceived by Joe? By Miller? How does Miller deceive? - consider the joviality of characters such as Lydia and the innocence of Bert.

- Effects of deceit - How does monosyllabic language, disjointed punctuation contribute to the creation of certain critical emotions by the playwright? How does the structure of the play accentuate the effect of the deceit on the reader? Consider acceleration/deceleration, the introduction of light-hearted characters at emotionally intense moments.

- Remember to consider deeply the use of the form of a play and Miller's use of setting and movement - do the tall, densely packed poplars which surround the yard, as described in the first description of Act 1, foreshadow something?

- In terms of the truth being 'truly revealed' - what do you consider the 'truth' to be? Will the 'truth' as perceived by society be the same as the 'truth' perceived by the family? Do Kate and/or Chris seem more likely to 'breeze over' the truth in order to prevent chaos and the disestablishment of the family unit?

Does this help? Let me know if there's anything you want me to clarify, or if you want me to look at anything else.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.