Turn on thread page Beta

Music festival in the north!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to put on a music festival in the north of england (possibly sunderland as there is no major music festival in sunderland but dont know the best way to go about doing it?

Neone suggest some ways thanks?

ReputationRep:
    Leeds Festival.

ReputationRep:
    *north east

ReputationRep:
    impossible I'm afraid. Record companies and managers won't even return your calls unless you have at least 15 years in the industry! Trust me, I know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undefined_2010)
    I want to put on a music festival in the north of england (possibly sunderland as there is no major music festival in sunderland but dont know the best way to go about doing it?

Neone suggest some ways thanks?
    Hey!

A guy I went to school with set up a festival in my home area a few years ago. It's now a huge success, attracting huge acts as well as showcasing local bands! I don't really know him all too well so couldn't find out how he went about it but I can imagine you'd need to assess some of these issues:

* You'll need a venue (and to be able to pay for it, unless you can get it for free or collect donations)
    * You'll need permission from the local council (for holding a public event, with details of capacity (expected turn-out) and all the necessary details
    * You'll need to look at getting local acts/bands involved, perhaps organise some gigs in local bars/clubs to raise some money. Once you've got a few bands on side, you can work as a team and make it a success
    * You'll have to call in favours to begin with, unless you have a huge amount of funding, try asking round, email local promoters, businesses and sell them your idea. Contact your local council, there may be some lottery funding availble for such an event if you can provide evidence and proof etc
    * At some point, you'll have to think about publicising the event, advertisments and attracting gig-goers
    * Decide what angle you want to take, how you're going to run the event, how many stages you'll have, is it going to be outdoor/indoor, summer/winter, an annual event or every 2 years etc
    * You'll need to do some research, as you are doing now, find out about other events happening locally and perhaps make them all coincide and hold one big festival!

SO, in short, the key points to consider are : Finance, Venue, Bands, Media/Publicising, Research and Local Council.

If you need any more help, just ask and I'll do my best! Hope this helps! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xands)
    impossible I'm afraid. Record companies and managers won't even return your calls unless you have at least 15 years in the industry! Trust me, I know!
    He might not be looking at getting huge acts... at the local festival where I live, which has only been running a few years (by a group of students), they started with local bands and now have acts such as Frank Turner, Noah & The Whale and The King Blues playing!

The industry is a really tricky one. I write for an online music journal and have sent more emails than I can shake a stick at, most of which go unreturned/ignored, but occasionally a band comes up trumps and allow us mere mortals to interview them or review their EP's/CD's.

Perseverance is the key! Even if it is SO frustrating 99% of the time! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    He might not be looking at getting huge acts... at the local festival where I live, which has only been running a few years (by a group of students), they started with local bands and now have acts such as Frank Turner, Noah & The Whale and The King Blues playing!

The industry is a really tricky one. I write for an online music journal and have sent more emails than I can shake a stick at, most of which go unreturned/ignored, but occasionally a band comes up trumps and allow us mere mortals to interview them or review their EP's/CD's.

Haha yeh I know exactly what you mean! I'm currently doing work experience for Supafly inc. and repossession records I seem to spend most of my time e-mail unresponsive artists and labels, drives me crazy! You are right though, artists on indie labels are usually much more willing to give up their time and will play the little gigs/festvals, I've heard of a few student run festvals that work out pretty nice actually!

xx

ReputationRep:
    i was just thinking of the idea because i go to uni in sunderland and recently it was brought up that compared to newcastle (evolution) sunderland does not have any big music festival, so how wud i start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undefined_2010)
    i was just thinking of the idea because i go to uni in sunderland and recently it was brought up that compared to newcastle (evolution) sunderland does not have any big music festival, so how wud i start?
    In my last post, I told you pointers on how to get started...

Take each step at a time. I'd go with looking for funding first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xands)
    Haha yeh I know exactly what you mean! I'm currently doing work experience for Supafly inc. and repossession records I seem to spend most of my time e-mail unresponsive artists and labels, drives me crazy! You are right though, artists on indie labels are usually much more willing to give up their time and will play the little gigs/festvals, I've heard of a few student run festvals that work out pretty nice actually!

xx
    Tell me about it! I aimed big recently and contacted Gossip. Not heard anything back and doubt I will but hopefully got a few interviews with lesser known bands in the pipelines! 'citing stuff!

Do you want to be a music journalist, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)

You're talking about Y-Not aren't you? I was there last summer it was brilliant. The King Blues were superb.

I think I've got to go next year as well.

OP Y-Not festival was started by a student who wanted to celebrate exam results. If he can start a great festival you can!

ReputationRep:
    For more info >> http://www.ynotfestivals.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    You're talking about Y-Not aren't you? I was there last summer it was brilliant. The King Blues were superb.

I think I've got to go next year as well.

OP Y-Not festival was started by a student who wanted to celebrate exam results. If he can start a great festival you can!
    I sure am! I couldn't make it last year as I was working abroad - gutted!!

King Blues are amazing :woo:

I'm going to try my best for 2010. Any news on the line-up yet? (I'll go check the website!)
    :yep:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.