Turn on thread page Beta

Crossroads?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm really confused about crossroads and who has right of way?

I was at crossroads the other day and the traffic light was green but I couldn't go because there were a load of cars coming from infront of me turning into the road I wanted to go in?

So if I want to turn right, what do I do?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Treat every junction like that as a box junction. The yellow hatched markings are there to make bad drivers what good drivers do normally. If the road that you intend to turn into is free from traffic and you are blocked only by oncoming traffic, you can move onto the junction. You still have to give way to cars coming towards you as you will be crossing "their" bit of road.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if the light changes to red as you are on the junction, you must clear the junction.

ReputationRep:
    You should give way to oncoming cars if you need to cut across them. Pull out and wait to turn, when the traffic flow stops, turn right.

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me you're still learning to drive?

This was covered a while ago, basically, when the light is green, you treat it as if it were a right turn junction. You wait for a gap in the traffic coming the other way before turning right.

You only have the ability to turn right without cars being able to come from the other direction if the crossroads has a(n illuminated) green arrow pointing to the right. Many crossroads don't have this...

(Original post by R. Murray)
    Treat every junction like that as a box junction. The yellow hatched markings are there to make bad drivers what good drivers do normally. If the road that you intend to turn into is free from traffic and you are blocked only by oncoming traffic, you can move onto the junction. You still have to give way to cars coming towards you as you will be crossing "their" bit of road.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if the light changes to red as you are on the junction, you must clear the junction.
    Just to tag a bit on the end of here - a simpler version of it is if your exit is blocked by stationary traffic you should not enter the junction (the hatched area) regardless of what the lights say.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.