Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, as the thread title says, who is working in their gap year? I've got a placement at a law firm which I am currently doing. Any one else working in an internship or anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year, working for resit exams until the end of january, then i'll be working low end jobs to raise as much money as possible for uni next year. Not the most exciting gap year ever, but i'm loving it at the moment!

Your year will look better on a CV i suppose, but having had no work experience before this year, i'm hoping a bit of work will make me more employable in the future!!

ReputationRep:
    I worked at morrisons from sept-nov then had to give it up so i would have more time to revise for my resits over jan & feb. Going back at the end of Feb, working til june.

Then im off backpacking around the USA & canada til mid-august. Come home for a bit, then Reading. Then uni starts

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to work from now until July or so, then do something more interesting for the two months leading into going back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardocki)
    I'm hopefully going to work from now until July or so, then do something more interesting for the two months leading into going back.
    cool, where will you be working? And you planning on going travelling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irfy)
    cool, where will you be working? And you planning on going travelling?
    I've just started looking and to be honest I'll work anywhere that'll have me. It's only for nine months so enjoying it is preferable but not really essential. Once I've saved up money the plan is to go to Spain and stay for a couple of months with my family there. I've never really been big on the travelling and "finding yourself" thing so I haven't really thought about going places for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    I was jobless until about end of november, now im working at mcdonalds then going to go travelling around april-may time, i have some resits on right now but theyre done next week and i can then focus on saving up for going to thailand/malaysia/philippines.

ReputationRep:
    I've been working full time since September but my last day is tomorrow! then I'm off travelling

ReputationRep:
    Yep, working full time (39 hours per week) at a well known retailer.

Coming away with £970 a month which isn't too bad, and I am saving £750 a month.

So far I've saved just under £3000; it doesn't sound like a lot considering I've worked since September but it does take discipline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.b.asf)
    I've been working full time since September but my last day is tomorrow! then I'm off travelling
    coool! where were you working? And where are you travelling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irfy)
    coool! where were you working? And where are you travelling?
    I was working in a Turkish restaurant called Lokanta, I really enjoyed it (and was basically running the place) but had my last shift last night and it was a nightmare, a little kid threw up chocolate cake EVERYWHERE

Off to Australia on 13th Feb for 6 and a half months

ReputationRep:
    Been working 6 days a week since the start of September,
    closing in on £5000.
    Finishing work at the end of Feb, travelling March - June, then possibly doing some other shizzle in July/August. Going to Reading Festival of course. Then uni!

ReputationRep:
    I start on the 8th. Hopefully have money saved up for a holiday before going back to university.

ReputationRep:
    I've been working full time since end of last July, and plan to carry on until the end of this July.

Just had the nicest two weeks off, lost all my motivation to work. Don't make me go back! :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Medicine reapplicant! Been working since the end of September, as a HCA. Plan to carry on working until June maybe, depending on funds maybe earlier, then go travelling

ReputationRep:
    Yep me!! I work around 35 hours a week for a well known American clothing retailer. Starting to get sick of the work, but I know it's not forever. I need to be more disciplined at saving the money though! As in, stop going out every weekend lol!

ReputationRep:
    worked since september only part time work though so I have £1500 saved. Giving it up in April because I'm going to the Middle East for three weeks and I doubt they'll let me have the time off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaving university at Easter (probably) to reapply and am going to be looking for at least a part-time job to help me save up for September 2011. Oh, what joy! :rolleyes:

The only job I've ever had was at Sainsbury's, and I completely detested it. Does anyone have any suggestions of places to work/jobs to do that aren't horrendously tedious and perhaps have a slightly social aspect to them? I'm going to be going home to nobody other than my family basically, because everyone's gone off to uni. So ideally, I'd like to work somewhere that isn't completely socially isolated.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.