Turn on thread page Beta

Cheapest way to get to Oxford from Manchester watch

ReputationRep:
    So my friend is having a party this weekend at his flat at Oxford, and I was wondering what would be the cheapest option to get there?
    I've been having a look at some train lines but all a bit steep, so I'm asking here for help

Coach could be an option too, although I hate them and I get travel sick :mad:.

I have a 16-25 railcard.

Muchos thankos

ReputationRep:
    Get a coach from Manchester to London - should be no more than five or six pounds if you book online ahead of time - and then the train from Paddington to Oxford which should be four pounds if you book online.

ReputationRep:
    Coach will definitely be far cheaper than train if you can stand it

ReputationRep:
    Get the coach and some anti sickness tablets . I went from Birmingham to Manchester for 2 quid last year with National Express.

ReputationRep:
    Megabus - there's a line straight from Manchester to Oxford. you also get a 10percent discount using an nus card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    So my friend is having a party this weekend at his flat at Oxford, and I was wondering what would be the cheapest option to get there?
    I've been having a look at some train lines but all a bit steep, so I'm asking here for help

I have a 16-25 railcard.

Muchos thankos
    Have to admit you've left it a bit late to get the best deals on the trains.

I assume you're staying over and so might travel up on Friday and back on the Sunday:

The 2036 from Oxford straight to Manchester Piccadilly (arr 2337) costs £16.85 with a 16-25.

Getting back is a bit of a pain due to engineering, but 1502 (Sunday) from Piccadilly to Oxford (change at Birmingham International for a R/R bus to Banbury then a train to Oxford) is £10.90.

So the cheapest I can get you is £27.75.

However if you want to keep your options open and not be tied down to any specific (non-peak) trains then an Off-Peak Return (with Railcard) is £38.10
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Walking is the cheapest way that I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    Hitchhike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuntimagee)
    Get a coach from Manchester to London - should be no more than five or six pounds if you book online ahead of time - and then the train from Paddington to Oxford which should be four pounds if you book online.
    5 or 6 pounds? Are you serious? It's at least £45 on Virgin isn't it?

I would've thought that coach was quite cheap this time of year OP.

ReputationRep:
    megabus.com

will be about a 5r + 50p booking

i've used them from manc to london and to birmingham and back and it's a comfortable ride

EDIT: just checked it's 10-13 quid to oxford ... surprises me as it's was only 4 quid back from birmingham last week, and about 8 quid on to from/london

still quite cheap but i'd just do what the below has recommended, 16.50 on he train ain't all bad

ReputationRep:
    http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/farefinder/search

You can get down to Oxford on a Saturday morning for £16.50.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for all the info guys.

(Original post by Expression)
    Have to admit you've left it a bit late to get the best deals on the trains.

I assume you're staying over and so might travel up on Friday and back on the Sunday:

The 2036 from Oxford straight to Manchester Piccadilly (arr 2337) costs £16.85 with a 16-25.

Getting back is a bit of a pain due to engineering, but 1502 (Sunday) from Piccadilly to Oxford (change at Birmingham International for a R/R bus to Banbury then a train to Oxford) is £10.90.

So the cheapest I can get you is £27.75.

However if you want to keep your options open and not be tied down to any specific (non-peak) trains then an Off-Peak Return (with Railcard) is £38.10
    Yeah I may just go for the return train ticket for 38 squid. Wish I had booked it earlier, ah well, life story.

ReputationRep:
    The off peak return should be valid on all services between Manchester and Oxford, so I'd go with that for the sake of ease.

ReputationRep:
    Get the Coach it will be much cheaper, and buy some tavel sickness bands/pills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)

I have a 16-25 railcard.

Muchos thankos
    Try going on thetrainline.com and looking at off peak times. Then you're looking at about £35 for a return journey. Or you could brave the megabus, but this close to the date, it'd be about the same price, give or take a few quid.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.