Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I recently met a girl on holiday, and at the moment it's not too often I like girls as much as this any more.
    However it looks likely she'll be moving to Cork for several months.
    She'd be free on Sunday and Monday.
    I haven't got my uni timetable yet.
    What I want to know...if she does end up there, can anyone see a way for us to meet up?
    The only option I've come up with would be staying with some of my family near holly-head.
    That said that in itself is fairly expensive.

The other option would be for me to fly from Leeds to Dublin (I don't think Cork has any flights to Leeds?)

Anyway, if it does happen does anyone see any way of that working?

I personally can't (and if it can't I'm just going to cut contact for a while, move on, and try to be friends with her as she's generally awesome).

I'm not too sure about ferry companies, about irish trains, but from what I gather it'd be €66 train return to Dublin and €60 return ferry to Hollyhead.
    If anyone has experience with these things, please give me a hand.
    Thanks for reading.

ReputationRep:
    I had a look on national express coaches and you could do a return Hull to Cork and back for for £77.50, however it would take nearly 22 hours!

Or I found a journey on National Rail from Hull to Dublin by train which would be £61 return and take 9 hours 30, then on http://www.irishrail.ie/home/ I found train from Dublin to Cork which would take 2 hours 50 and cost 46 euros return.

ReputationRep:
    You can fly to Cork from Manchester I think.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, I'll look into this when I get back home in a couple of hours.
    I've asked for the thread to be moved to travel.

By the looks of the first reply it seems doubtful.
    Not so much because of time ( I can spend stupid amounts of times in trains) but because of money and thus, frequency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Cheers guys, I'll look into this when I get back home in a couple of hours.
    I've asked for the thread to be moved to travel.

By the looks of the first reply it seems doubtful.
    Not so much because of time ( I can spend stupid amounts of times in trains) but because of money and thus, frequency.
    Edit to my first post, national rail say whole journey can be booked through them at £97 return with the journey taking 13 hours 20.

You might be able to get it cheaper if you book it all seperately and get cheaper advance tickets. I know transpenine trains do cheap advance tickets.

ReputationRep:
    If it's only several months (I assume this means less than a year), does it really matter in the long-run if you can't see each other as much as you would ideally like to? How close will you be to each other after these several months are up?

ReputationRep:
    Probably looking at about £100 a trip including trains if you flew to Cork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTCC Fan)
    Edit to my first post, national rail say whole journey can be booked through them at £97 return with the journey taking 13 hours 20.

You might be able to get it cheaper if you book it all seperately and get cheaper advance tickets. I know transpenine trains do cheap advance tickets.
    13 hours 20, though. Bit long, especially if he has uni and might not be too flexible.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool to Cork with Ryanair is roughly £30, I put in dates in mid-February.

Newcastle to Cork is roughly £90, look on Jet2.com. Look here for more options.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, thanks for all the replies .
    I'll have a word with her about it.

(Original post by pink bullets)
    words go here
    We're not prepared to have a relationship based on skype and MSN.

Too much stress, not enough affection, so on so forth.
    I've done that before, with another girl, I'm not up for communication through the internet alone. And I know she's not as well (so it's a rejection by default, as opposed to 'I don't actually like you').

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, thanks for all the replies .
    I'll have a word with her about it.

We're not prepared to have a relationship based on skype and MSN.

Too much stress, not enough affection, so on so forth.
    I've done that before, with another girl, I'm not up for communication through the internet alone. And I know she's not as well (so it's a rejection by default, as opposed to 'I don't actually like you').
    Surely the relationship wouldn't be 'based on skype and MSN' if you're only separated for a matter of months. :confused:

And it's not like you can't see each other at all in that period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Surely the relationship wouldn't be 'based on skype and MSN' if you're only separated for a matter of months. :confused:

And it's not like you can't see each other at all in that period.
    Well by months I mean until september.
    And even then, we'd be pretty far away, probably more expensive to see each other, but more time to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at coaches and trains and it seems I'd leave Saturday, get there for Sunday, leave Sunday get back for Monday.
    Arriving at say, mid day, leaving at 14:00.
    :/.
    All the cheap ryan air flights don't take taxes into account. Meaning it's more likely to cost around £100 than £30 in total.
    The ones that do total the bills up tend to be that.

ReputationRep:
    From your title I thought you'd fallen in love with a Lady-Boy. Harr!

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at coaches and trains and it seems I'd leave Saturday, get there for Sunday, leave Sunday get back for Monday.
    Arriving at say, mid day, leaving at 14:00.
    :/.
    All the cheap ryan air flights don't take taxes into account. Meaning it's more likely to cost around £100 than £30 in total.
    The ones that do total the bills up tend to be that.
    I did the search, it included taxes, came to £20 and I added £10 for extras.

Another option is Birmingham to Cork, with Aer Lingus, and it comes to £59, all in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    I did the search, it included taxes, came to £20 and I added £10 for extras.

Another option is Birmingham to Cork, with Aer Lingus, and it comes to £59, all in.
    Oh wow, I really don't like the ryan air website, it's confusing the hell outta me "taxs=0" etc.

Might be doable.
    Cheers very muchus

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I really don't like the ryan air website, it's confusing the hell outta me "taxs=0" etc.

Might be doable.
    Cheers very muchus
    Just book the flight and your train/bus from Hull in advance and i'd say it's definitely doable. Cork airport is desperate to increase it's through traffic so fares should be cheap most of the time!

Most of the charges are shown in the quick search, I think they charge for using a debit card/credit card, something like £9 each way but even that only comes to roughly £40 all in, which for convenience, comfort and time it'll give ye together is not too bad at all. I know I couldn't get on one of those coaches for that long. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Fly out from Liverpool if you must.

My advice would be to cut all ties with any Cork girls. It will destroy her...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.