Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I start at BRNC, Dartmouth on 26th April as a Warfairy cadet. My question is; is it worth me buying a car? I have heard rumours that you can take your car during the second term but I don't know for sure. Also I am guessing there wont be much opportunity to use it as a Warfare Officer anyway?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try asking on rumration, in the navy newbies forum.
    http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewforum/f=24.html

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother to be honest, I know that in the first term you can't park your car down there, plus the only transport you'll need is up and down Cardiac Hill, and transport back home can go on the cheap if you get a Young Persons Railcard. Plus, you'll be off on FOST after your first term, so no need for a car then as you'll be off on a voyage somewhere. AFCO, as usual, will let you know though.

Is a Warfairy Cadet a WO? I've got AIB in 5 weeks for WAFU/Growbag, got any good tips, especially on the essay section? It's the only bit I'm worried about as I haven't written one for 5 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewismansell)
    I wouldn't bother to be honest, I know that in the first term you can't park your car down there, plus the only transport you'll need is up and down Cardiac Hill, and transport back home can go on the cheap if you get a Young Persons Railcard. Plus, you'll be off on FOST after your first term, so no need for a car then as you'll be off on a voyage somewhere. AFCO, as usual, will let you know though.

Is a Warfairy Cadet a WO? I've got AIB in 5 weeks for WAFU/Growbag, got any good tips, especially on the essay section? It's the only bit I'm worried about as I haven't written one for 5 years...
    Just to let you know that after the first term you do IST (Initial Sea Training), not FOST which is something else entirely.

If you knew that already and were just having a brain-keyboard breakdown moment, then disregard! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    Just to let you know that after the first term you do IST (Initial Sea Training), not FOST which is something else entirely.

If you knew that already and were just having a brain-keyboard breakdown moment, then disregard! :p:
    Obviously!! I knew it was some sort of acronym. I thought FOST (Flag Officer Sea Training) is what is replacing IST, or have I got a lot more revision to do before AIB in March? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You're right Bazza, back to the books for me.

Are you in application to the RN at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewismansell)
    You're right Bazza, back to the books for me.

Are you in application to the RN at the moment?
    In fact I've just realised I got it (slightly) wrong in my initial post...IFT (Initial Fleet Time) is what happens now ie. 10 weeks aboard a capital warship at the beginning of Term 3 (or Phase 2, however you decide to look at it) at BRNC...it's a merger of what were previously two separate things, IST and CFT (Common Fleet Time). Though I believe SFT is still undertaken at some point in the Warfare training pipeline.

I think that's all right...I know the armed forces love their acronyms but bloody hell...:rolleyes:

And in answer to your question, no I'm not currently in the application process.

ReputationRep:
    you really dont need a car at BRNC and i certainly wouldnt buy one just because your going there!!! Forces railcard and rail warrants are your friend in your first couple years!!!

Once your out in the fleet post IFT and training then sure youll know what travel patterns you have but until then your be moving all over the place.

Warfare still do a form of SFT for the simple reason that STCW requirements to get your Officer Of the Watch qualification requires a minimum of 6 months Bridge watch-keeping experience.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.