Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

getting a tattoo watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    is this the right place to put this ??? i thought it will clasify as health ....anyhoo

i'm thinking of getting a tattoo of roses on the side of my thigh ..... i'm really in 2 minds about this though......

basically i just want to know thoughts and opinons on doing this and also i would like to know from people who have tattoo's things i would need to think about or be aware off.

this would be my first tattoo btw and i would like to know whether it would hurt getting it on my thigh.

ReputationRep:
    All tattoos hurt but yours sounds like a pretty one. Search TSR, I'm sure there may be other tattoo related threads but soz can't really help you as I don't have any myself.

ReputationRep:
    Tattoos hurt. It's a needle being fired into the skin injecting ink into the dermis. Of course it's going to hurt. Some people say it's bearable, other's say not.

If you're at all unsure, then don't have it done!!!! You should be 100% sure you want it before you have it done. It's there for LIFE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Tattoos hurt. It's a needle being fired into the skin injecting ink into the dermis. Of course it's going to hurt. Some people say it's bearable, other's say not.

If you're at all unsure, then don't have it done!!!! You should be 100% sure you want it before you have it done. It's there for LIFE.
    This, pretty much. On your thigh really isn't that bad, it's uncomfortable, no more. DO NOT get it done unless you are 110% sure you want it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're in 2 minds about it, now's clearly not the time to be having it done. Keep the idea in mind and see how you feel about in x number of months/years/whatever. You really need to be 100% dead set that it's the right choice before you go having a tattoo.. they are rather permanent, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares, just get one, once you've got it it doesn't come off. so you're stuck with it, then there's no point crying over spilt milk.

The only people i have EVER met who say "you'll regret that when you're older" are people without tattoos, they cannot comment whatsoever on what its like to have one, I don't even notice mine anymore, they are there on my skin everday and are just part of me, and to me, as unnoticable as a mole.

As for it hurting, yeah some do some dont. I had a 4 hour one on my thigh, and thighs are the one of the easiest areas imo, sat there reading a book and eating a chicken salad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tweety_2479)
    is this the right place to put this ??? i thought it will clasify as health ....anyhoo

i'm thinking of getting a tattoo of roses on the side of my thigh ..... i'm really in 2 minds about this though......

basically i just want to know thoughts and opinons on doing this and also i would like to know from people who have tattoo's things i would need to think about or be aware off.

this would be my first tattoo btw and i would like to know whether it would hurt getting it on my thigh.
    Firstly, why are you in two minds? Is it the design? Or the fact you dont know how people would react if they knew you had a tattoo? Or do you think it will hurt too much?

Basically, with getting a tattoo, make sure you go to a tattooist that is recommended locally, look through their portfolios, check their line work is good and if any colour is used then check the colour is vivid. If the line work, shading and/or colour looks bad, walk away.

Essentially, there's nothing you need to know about a tattoo per se, its the after care you need to remember. After getting a tattoo, you need to use a form of cream until the scabbing heals. Personally I use Savlon, people have been known to use bepanthen etc. You can't soak a tattoo, so showers have to be quick and then the tattoo needs to be patted dry, don't pick at any scabs.

And on your thigh would be bearable, to me it feels like a hot scratch, no more.

ReputationRep:
    I have a reasonably large tattoo (I'm quite a small person) on my back. It goes from just above my bum straight up my spine about 4" and it's about 2" wide. It hurt like hell. I've never felt anything like it, I actually passed out!! But what hurt was getting the bit done that ran over my spine, the bits that are either side, on the slightly more fleshy bit, were much more bareable! It took me about 2 years to decide on my tattoo. My advice is to just be confident about what you want and discuss it with the tattooist, normally they can give you some really valuable (and often correct) advice about placement, siz & colour. Go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    pretty dumb idea imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reym)
    Firstly, why are you in two minds? Is it the design? Or the fact you dont know how people would react if they knew you had a tattoo? Or do you think it will hurt too much?

Basically, with getting a tattoo, make sure you go to a tattooist that is recommended locally, look through their portfolios, check their line work is good and if any colour is used then check the colour is vivid. If the line work, shading and/or colour looks bad, walk away.

Essentially, there's nothing you need to know about a tattoo per se, its the after care you need to remember. After getting a tattoo, you need to use a form of cream until the scabbing heals. Personally I use Savlon, people have been known to use bepanthen etc. You can't soak a tattoo, so showers have to be quick and then the tattoo needs to be patted dry, don't pick at any scabs.

And on your thigh would be bearable, to me it feels like a hot scratch, no more.
    I used bepanthen & thought it was brilliant, I healed really quickly with not much itching. A friend of mine got on really well using E45 too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wait six months, if you still want it, have it then.

Ilora-Danon is pretty much our resident expert, so listen to what she has to say!

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to put cream on both of mine after 1-2 days and they both healed fine, but I think it's a bit silly not to, you don't want to have problems with it so make sure you do!

Mine are both only small though. They absolutely killed. I have one on the bottom of my back on the left side and one on my hip on the right side and the hip one hurt most, but the other was done by a really nice guy who kept putting cream on to cool it down part way through the horrible woman that did my hip didn't do that lol. And yeah make sure you check portfolios too, the lines are a little fuzzy on the one on my hip but the one on my back is clear.

Don't worry about the pain - it's worth it.

And I agree with what that other person said - after a while you forget about them, so don't worry too much about regretting it, your thigh is somewhere that's easily covered if you don't like it when you're older, for now it'll look lovely!

ReputationRep:
    im in 2 minds because i know im the kind of person that sets there mind on wanting something so badly but changes there mind really easily.

i dont want it to look tacky so was just asking opinions on that design partically

i think i can bear the pain.... i'll just have too! i had my tooth pulled out with hardly any numbing in my mouth and that hurt like hell so as long as it's not worse than that

i just wanted to know whether it shoud be coloured or not? im thinking not ...... but i may want some shading i heard that hurts the most.

i think i'll think about it more but wont get it done anytime soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tweety_2479)
    im in 2 minds because i know im the kind of person that sets there mind on wanting something so badly but changes there mind really easily.

i dont want it to look tacky so was just asking opinions on that design partically

i think i can bear the pain.... i'll just have too! i had my tooth pulled out with hardly any numbing in my mouth and that hurt like hell so as long as it's not worse than that

i just wanted to know whether it shoud be coloured or not? im thinking not ...... but i may want some shading i heard that hurts the most.

i think i'll think about it more but wont get it done anytime soon
    If you change your mind easily, then wait a few months, if you still want it then get it.

The design no-one can comment on as we haven't seen anything plus tattoo's are personal to you, its on your skin, you need to like it, no-one else.

Shading is a different feeling to line work IMO, I find it more tolerable than line work, although as said before, in my opinion neither of the hurt.

Personally, I can't wait for my next tattoo. It will be my third and on my ribcage. Bony areas are more sensitive than fleshy areas.

ReputationRep:
    seriously only do it if you 100% sure coz i no so many people how regret getting there's

ReputationRep:
    Find a design you're 100% happy with. Print it off and stick it around the house. If you're not sick to death of seeing it after a few months, get it.

ReputationRep:
    I have this;

(It's red in the photos because I'd just had it done)

It didn't hurt all that much really because they kept stopping and starting but it did hurt more on the bone.
    Do as people have said, stick it on your bedroom wall, if you're not sick of it after a few months, get it done.

ReputationRep:
    When I had my tattoo done I used ametop gel. You can buy it from boots for like £3, just ask someone who works there as I think they keep it behind the counter. It numbs your skin and it works really well. All you do is put it on an hour before your tattoo, cover it with cling film and voila! No pain at all! Loads of people said I was a coward but I don't care!
    Your tattoo sounds lovely but make sure you are 100% certain before you get it and don't let the pain put you off.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    When I had my tattoo done I used ametop gel. You can buy it from boots for like £3, just ask someone who works there as I think they keep it behind the counter. It numbs your skin and it works really well. All you do is put it on an hour before your tattoo, cover it with cling film and voila! No pain at all! Loads of people said I was a coward but I don't care!
    Your tattoo sounds lovely but make sure you are 100% certain before you get it and don't let the pain put you off.
    xx
    Are you sure that is recommended? I know you should not numb the area before having a piercing but i don't know about tattoos...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the tattooist said it was fine he was the one who told me to do it. It really helps because it doesn't hurt so you are less likely to move or twitch and mess up the tattoo.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.