Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping A2 AFTER sitting for an A2 Module..? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Applying for medicine and I'm doing four subjects - Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths.

However, I'm beginning to realise more and more that Physics isn't really for me

Assuming I get a 3-grade offer, I believe I can e-mail the universities to ask whether my offer would still stand if I dropped one of the subjects as well as UCAS.

Problem is, am I allowed to drop Physics after I have sat for one of the A2 modules? Or does this again differ from uni to uni?

If I do that and don't sit for the other two A2 modules, will I end up with an AS grade (which I'm fine with) or some horrid A2 grade (probably an E or something, lol)?

I've already signed up for the Unit 4 (btw, I'm doing Edexcel) exam that will be next week. I do intend on sitting for the paper anyway, just to see what I manage to get and hopefully that can help me decide whether I should drop it or not.

Any help's appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump.. (Hope it's ok to do this, it's been 4 days)

ReputationRep:
    Contact them and see what they say? And contact the exam board and ask?

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same situation last year, considering dropping Physics (Module 4 that we did in January was hell...) but I did the exam and it turned out my result was better than I expected. I think you would be allowed to drop it (I wasn't due to weird academic situation), but see how it goes in January, Module 4 Physics tends to be impossible I know, but if the difficulty is worrying you I found it got a lot better in June. And if you dropped it you would get the grade you got at AS as you haven't taken all the A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Magic Dust, I think I'll write up an email after the exams

(Original post by Ignoramus)
    I was in the same situation last year, considering dropping Physics (Module 4 that we did in January was hell...) but I did the exam and it turned out my result was better than I expected. I think you would be allowed to drop it (I wasn't due to weird academic situation), but see how it goes in January, Module 4 Physics tends to be impossible I know, but if the difficulty is worrying you I found it got a lot better in June. And if you dropped it you would get the grade you got at AS as you haven't taken all the A2 modules.
    Uh-huh :yep: I'll be waiting for my results to help me decide. Even up till now I never really got Physics - I've gotten marks by memorising answers from the past years' :p:

It's not just the difficulty - it's also the lack of interest I'd much rather free up some time to concentrate on the other subjects which I prefer. (Of course, I'll have to make a very strict promise to myself that I'll spend my new free time actually studying :ninja:)

Thank you for that last bit of info, is that mentioned specifically anywhere on the Edexcel website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Thanks Magic Dust, I think I'll write up an email after the exams

Uh-huh :yep: I'll be waiting for my results to help me decide. Even up till now I never really got Physics - I've gotten marks by memorising answers from the past years' :p:

It's not just the difficulty - it's also the lack of interest I'd much rather free up some time to concentrate on the other subjects which I prefer. (Of course, I'll have to make a very strict promise to myself that I'll spend my new free time actually studying :ninja:)

Thank you for that last bit of info, is that mentioned specifically anywhere on the Edexcel website?
    I was feeling like that about Physics too; it takes time but I really understand how it seems inaccessible.

I don't know about Edexcel, I was just told by my teacher that you don't get the A2 unless you certificate it, and that means you need to have done all the modules. I was on OCR but I suspect it's the same.

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense to me I e-mailed Edexcel earlier today to be sure and I got a reply

Thank you for your e-mail.

You will only receive a 'bad' A2 grade if your A2 units are cashed in. If you only request that your AS units are cashed in then you will only receive a grade for the first three units you completed.
    Thanks again everyone for the help

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.