Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Please help! Can't get to sleep on sundays and I have exams? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This has been happening for the past 2 months. I'm in Year 11 and every sunday night I just cannot get to sleep. I didn't sleep a wink all last night even though I went to bed at about midnight. I have tried drinking warm milk before bed, having a warm shower, getting up early on sunday morning, counting sheep, etc. And to make it worse I sometimes have exams on monday mornings so how can I concentrate when I haven't slept! Help is appreciated guys.

ReputationRep:
    Do some heavy exercise Sunday evening, should knock you out

ReputationRep:
    Go for an incredibly long run, really exhaust you?

Listen to a little music?

Maybe take some natural sleeping pills? My girlfriend highly recommended NatraSleep to me, works within a minute on her, just give in to them...maybe Kalms or something if it's stress related?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    its worse when you have A level exams the next day.
    usually I just lay awake with nerves, it ******* sucks lol
    I must get literally 2-3 hours sleep per night on those days
    I find the earlier you get up though, the more alert you are when it actually comes down to it and you have to be in class

ReputationRep:
    maybe it is because you go to bed later on a friday and saturday night than schooldays, so therefore lie in on a saturday and sunday longer than you do on a weekend and mess up your body clock? I do it all the time For example if on a Tuesday you
    wake at 7am
    bed at 10pm - you have been awake for 15hrs

Maybe on a sunday you:

wake at 11am
    bed at 10pm (you have only been awake for 11hrs)

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling; it's terrible when you can't get to sleep and it only ever seems to happen to me when I have exams or something important the next day!

Try exercising during the day. A long walk with my dog in the early evening seems to work for me! Another tip is to avoid technology! No, really: don't watch TV, go on the computer or fiddle about on your phone at least an hour before you go to bed- apparently it will lessen anxiety and stop your mind from running.

Once you're ready to go to bed, make sure your room is as dark as possible. The darker the room is, the quicker you'll get off to sleep. You could always use an eye-mask to just black everything out.

Try not to think that you've got an exam the next day; just tell yourself that tomorrow is going to be a normal day and that you have nothing to worry about. Just forget about the stress of exams and concentrate on getting to sleep.

If nothing works, try some natural sleeping pills.

ReputationRep:
    I don't sleep well on Sundays either, mainly cos I don't do anything much. I did some work yesterday rather than doing chores/watching films and I found it easier to sleep because I've been more active. When I really can't sleep on a Sunday I take Boots Sleepeaze.

ReputationRep:
    why sleep when you should be revising!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    When can we all get to sleep? When we are drunk. So get a bit drunk on the sunday.

ReputationRep:
    Get up on Saturday and Sunday morning the same time as you would on a normal weekday?

(Original post by explosions hurt)
    When can we all get to sleep? When we are drunk. So get a bit drunk on the sunday.
    Yeah, a couple of beers can't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Get up on Saturday and Sunday morning the same time as you would on a normal weekday?

Yeah, a couple of beers can't hurt.
    That's the thing though. I DO get up at the same time as on weekdays to keep my sleeping schedule. Anyone got any other tips? i don't really wanna try sleeping pills as I've read that you can become addicted and need them to fall asleep any night, when I only have trouble on sunday's. This sunday I'm thinking about just getting up at like 6am and going to bed at midnight. Surely I'll be tired after being awake for 18 hours?

ReputationRep:
    Just masturbate for like an hour right before going to bed, put you right to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    That's the thing though. I DO get up at the same time as on weekdays to keep my sleeping schedule. Anyone got any other tips? i don't really wanna try sleeping pills as I've read that you can become addicted and need them to fall asleep any night, when I only have trouble on sunday's. This sunday I'm thinking about just getting up at like 6am and going to bed at midnight. Surely I'll be tired after being awake for 18 hours?
    You can only become addicted to sleeping pills prescribed by your doctor. You can pick up herbal sleeping aids in your local supermarket, which are completely natural way of helping you get off to sleep. You can also get sleeping aids like Nytol which you get from the Chemists. Nytol is an antihistamine which makes you feel drowsy but it does make some people feel a bit groggy the morning after and will lose its effect if used too often.

I didn't get a wink of sleep before a lot of my GCSE exams, even ones which I got an A* in. As long as you know your stuff, you should be okay.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I used to get this medicine when I was little to knock me out for car journeys can' remember the nme of it but it was for travel sickness....Then they took it off the market because people were knocking their children out :/ But it's back available over the counter I'll see if I can find the name of it out for you

ReputationRep:
    I have trouble with this (doesn't seem to have affected my grades, i just collapse after the exam).

The night before my cambridge interview, my teacher told me to have half a glass of wine just before bed! I wasn't expecting to sleep at all but I was out like a light

ReputationRep:
    I found this quite useful:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Asleep

It's just a few tips but might be worth a read

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.