Turn on thread page Beta

So lately my teeth are seriously beginning to bug me. I had braces a couple of years ago and considering how bad my teeth were before I got them, it has to be said that the braces did actually make a considerable improvement. Ok, they're still a teeny bit crooked but that isn't really a problem for me.
    However, my bite is absolutely awful: I have a very noticable open bite at the front (literally 2 of my teeth touch at the back and then there's a gap between my upper and lower teeth all the way round, no matter how hard I bite down; my upper teeth don't fit nicely over the bottom ones like they should at all) and as I've grown, it's transcended that when I bite down my jaw now shifts to one side, to the point that the right side of my face is now beginning to ache.

I'm 17, so I should still be covered by the NHS... However I've spoken to my mum about it and she has been typically unsupportive. She says that her teeth are worse than mine and they've never bothered her, which may be true, but I think it's really unfair for her to play the 'if-it-doesn't-bother-me-it-shouldn't-bother-you' card because... well, everybody's different. How I look matters a great deal to me and my teeth are a serious chink in my confidence. I have never had an attractive smile, and regardless of how bad her teeth might be, my mum actually has a lovely smile.

So any advice on what to do? I think if I explain to my mum how badly I want to get my bite sorted and the discomfort in my jaw she'll probably be more understanding, but does anyone know how I'd actually go about fixing my bite? I've heard about some pretty heavy sounding procedures where they reshape your jaw that make me a little bit nervous, but is there any way I could fix my teeth with braces or headgear or something else to avoid this? I don't think my bite's that extremely bad that actual surgery would be necessary, but then again I really don't know.

http://i50.tinypic.com/e97znd.png This is the full extent of my bite when biting down. as you can see literally none of my front teeth touch.

Thanks for any help :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would just suggest you book an appointemnt to see the dentist and ask them for their advice. Your mum doesn't have to know about it or go with you. Once you have more info you can try and discuss it with her again.

ReputationRep:
    They don't look that bad at all, but you said they cause you pain? Maybe you should go to the dentist or something, just to see their opinion on it. I doubt that anyone on here could give you real advice. You'd feel much better with proper medical advice.

ReputationRep:

all you need

(Original post by EffieFlowers)
    They don't look that bad at all, but you said they cause you pain? Maybe you should go to the dentist or something, just to see their opinion on it. I doubt that anyone on here could give you real advice. You'd feel much better with proper medical advice.
    haha, I don't think they themselves look that bad, it's just my bites so skewed, it would be lovely if they fitted together better and I know, I just wanted to see what people would think would be the best way to start

ReputationRep:
    I had a brace when I was 13 to straighten out my terrible teeth - my mouth is too small to accommodate them apparently so I had 4 removed and the rest spaced out. But I have 1 tooth that was the worst out of all of them had turned a full 90 degrees and faced the side of my mouth, basically slotted in between 2 other teeth, they straightened it out but as time has gone by it has started moving again. You can see on the picture (3rd tooth top left)

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm 23 (24 in 3 weeks) so I won't be covered by NHS and also I'm 23 so having a brace is a bit embarrassing but I want that tooth fixed and so I don't care what other people say, I'm going to ask my dentist next time I'm there about a brace.

ReputationRep:
    ew they look awful, sorry! There's no excuse for bad teeth in this day and age, and considering you live in a developed country.

Get some orthodontic treatment :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Get it while it's relatively free for you. I had to pay £45 for a filling the other month. That was using my ALG money.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.