Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got weighed n apparantly I've put on like 3 pounds. It doesnt seem like much, but my BMI is now 25.1 which puts me in the overweight category. I dont understand. I've been eating LESS than I was before! 3 meals a day, no snacking at all. No crisps, no junk. Ok I did have a chocolate binge once last week but nothing major. :confused: I expected to have lost weight, not put it on??

ReputationRep:
    What have the 3 meals consisted of? and have you done any exercise?
    Are you watching your portion control?

ReputationRep:
    3 pounds? It's normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds throughout the course of a day.

ReputationRep:
    PORTION control got nothing to do with it, unless yor over the calorie maintenance, i could eat 700 calories each male for 3 meals and still be in my maintainence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Portion control? that sounds robotic..
    I any case I personally don't watch my weight and have a special gene that doesn't allow me to become fat.

ReputationRep:
    3 lbs? dont worry about it.. weigh yourself first thing in the morning, then right before you go to bed, look at the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..they vary but for example, I'll have 2 slices of toast for breakfast..or a bowl of cereal. A cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch, and then dinner would be usually something indian that my mum cooks, i.e. rice and lentils, or vegetables etc. I know its not a great diet at all, but still, its not enough for me to actually put on weight right?

Also if I've woken up late, say 12ish, I'll just eat lunch and then dinner.

I havent done any exercise, as its exam season so ive been stuck in my house revising :rolleyes: but im actually going to start swimming and going to the gym regularly after my exams are finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    3 pounds? It's normal for your weight to fluctuate by a few pounds throughout the course of a day.
    The problem is I was weighed at a hospital as they were assessing my health before a surgery I'm getting. I was weighed in the morning, about 2 hours after eating toast. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student4A)
    The problem is I was weighed at a hospital as they were assessing my health before a surgery I'm getting. I was weighed in the morning, about 2 hours after eating toast. :confused:
    I don't see why it's a problem:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..they vary but for example, I'll have 2 slices of toast for breakfast..or a bowl of cereal. A cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch, and then dinner would be usually something indian that my mum cooks, i.e. rice and lentils, or vegetables etc. I know its not a great diet at all, but still, its not enough for me to actually put on weight right?

Also if I've woken up late, say 12ish, I'll just eat lunch and then dinner.

I havent done any exercise, as its exam season so ive been stuck in my house revising :rolleyes: but im actually going to start swimming and going to the gym regularly after my exams are finished.
    Sure, if you're eating more calories than your body needs, you'll put on weight. It's more than likely that your current diet exceeds your BMR (basal metabolic rate) especially if indian food is a main source of your diet. Ghee is like, the worst thing for someone watching their weight, so I would recommend you write down everything you eat and see if any improvements can be made.

What sort of things do you drink in the daytime? Do you drink a lot of alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I don't see why it's a problem:confused:
    Oh, because if u get weighed in the morning isnt it the most accurate? Also, its going to be recorded now that my BMI shows im 'overweight' which sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, if you're eating more calories than your body needs, you'll put on weight. It's more than likely that your current diet exceeds your BMR (basal metabolic rate) especially if indian food is a main source of your diet. Ghee is like, the worst thing for someone watching their weight, so I would recommend you write down everything you eat and see if any improvements can be made.

What sort of things do you drink in the daytime? Do you drink a lot of alcohol?
    Ah I see. Well, what do you recommend right now? We dont use any ghee in our cooking, its mostly just vegetables, lentils and roti, made from wholemeal flour. I guess if I start exercising I'll lose weight. I'm just so shocked I was eating so little and ended up putting on weight! I hate being in the 'overweight' BMI scale..I've always hated my body, and put myself down for looking 'fat' but I've always been 'healthy.' Now this just confirms what I've hated about myself all these years.

ReputationRep:
    You must use some fat in your cooking? Oils, fats of some kind...?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, because if u get weighed in the morning isnt it the most accurate? Also, its going to be recorded now that my BMI shows im 'overweight' which sucks.
    It depends and who cares what your BMI says.

ReputationRep:
    You must use some fat in your cooking? Oils, fats of some kind...?
    umm..sunflower oil and margerine?

ReputationRep:
    umm..sunflower oil and margerine?
    Thought so. Well, when I'm looking to lose weight, I tend to dry-fry anything that usually requires oil and then drain off the excess fat/juice. This cuts down on a lot of fat and makes the meal a much lighter meal fat-wise.

Also, portion control is important. If you're eating portions that are too large, you'll be eating more calories than you need. So try to keep portions moderated.

Drinks wise, what do you drink?

ReputationRep:
    Your weight flucuates, you said something about getting weighed at hospital so could be different scales, clothes worn, etc etc.

Also, what was the time difference in your two weigh ins?

ReputationRep:
    It's simple workout your maintinance calories, then eat 250-500 cals below that, Try to eat complex carbs, e.g oats, sweet potatoes, whole meal bread... Track the calories you eat, throw in some cardio and you will lose weight. Also you need fats when trying to lose weight, i know it does not sound right but its true. Fat sources should be oily fish, eggs, peanut butter/nuts and olive oil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Your weight flucuates, you said something about getting weighed at hospital so could be different scales, clothes worn, etc etc.

Also, what was the time difference in your two weigh ins?
    I got weighed at my GPs in September, something like 63.7 kg and then got weighed yesterday and am now 65.1. My gp said my BMI is healthy and I calculated it again yesterday and now its 'overweight.' Not by much but the word still sounds horrible! I need to lose like a stone/stone and a half anyway..and my eating wasnt terrible so im just surprised i put on weight!

And Ilora, I dont alcohol, dont really drink fizzy drinks apart from diet coke.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore BMI completely. All that matters are blood tests and what you look like in the mirror.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.