Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am Doing an experiment on extracting DNA from onions. Why/ How are onions different? and what does that have to do with starch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGriffith230)
    I am Doing an experiment on extracting DNA from onions. Why/ How are onions different? and what does that have to do with starch?

Different from what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Different from what?
    size, shape, resistance to bugy things???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Different from what?
    Each onion...They are different but Why

ReputationRep:
    colour differences? Scent? shape? size?

Each onion...They are different but Why
    Well its an environemt thing, and a DNA thing. Onions from a grocery shop are unlikely to have come from the same seed onion, whereas 2 onions pulled from next to each other could be related.
    Environmentally, if one was growing in a more nutrient rich area, or more optimally watered then it will grow bigger (as with if its less shaded).
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Well its an environemt thing, and a DNA thing. Onions from a grocery shop are unlikely to have come from the same seed onion, whereas 2 onions pulled from next to each other could be related.
    Environmentally, if one was growing in a more nutrient rich area, or more optimally watered then it will grow bigger (as with if its less shaded).
    J
    hmmm

(Original post by 2776)
    hmmm
    I know, its a dubious reply at best, but come on, its a fricking onion - I cant even remember how they grow (despite the fact we have them growing in the fields around my house)
    Is it one onion per tall leafyness, or several...
    nuts
    J

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.