Turn on thread page Beta

WHAT the hell is this? University is ridiculous ! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok I get University exams now.

It's one of them things and I'm just over reacting. Thanks for the feedback especially from trm90.

ReputationRep:
    Even though I completely agree with you, University tries to make you independent and I'm afraid they do that from the word go. I also agree that 3 grand is extortionate for what you get.

ReputationRep:
    Where is this? :P

ReputationRep:
    hey, wot uni is this? ive not gone yet, applied this year but i heard the opposite! i heard ure supposd to have like a rele good relationship with tutors is that all crap??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy-Bentham)

I am completely mind dead at why they university would not help you with the exam.

Because then it wouldn't really be a proper examination of your knowledge, would it now.

Why should they tell you what the questions are going to be on? If they only wanted you to learn half the course, they would only teach you half the course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We have access to past papers, but nothing else, which is pretty standard to be honest. Even then, however, past papers are often useless since nearly every year the course syllabus and lecturer changes.

University is all about independent learning and pretty much knowing your syllabus fully without exception. Yes, it may seem annoying that you have to do so much work on your own, and then are on your own again for the exam, but alas, c'est la vie.

Just know everything covered in lectures and be able to do any assignments given throughout the semester, and then pray.

ReputationRep:
    At stirling we don't get past papers but it's mostly coursework and the exam they will tell you what the exaam will be and hand you the textbook, I thought it was normal
    If I get told, essay style exam, write 4 pages a4 and you will need to use this book, it wouldn't be that hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    Even though I completely agree with you, University tries to make you independent and I'm afraid they do that from the word go. I also agree that 3 grand is extortionate for what you get.
    I'm independent but then if I'm independent sometimes I wonder why I even go to lectures. All they do is read over the notes on a shallow level meaning I have to go over it and do proper reading.

Then I've done the reading and done this and that and they screw me on the exams.

Also anyone applying to university - remember that people are brainwashed by the city and the friends they made and the night life. The courses well I bet many of them don't live up to scratch. I'm trapped now. Can't drop out. It's all over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Because then it wouldn't really be a proper examination of your knowledge, would it now.

Why should they tell you what the questions are going to be on? If they only wanted you to learn half the course, they would only teach you half the course.
    Is it?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really harsh =/ =/

Do you have a student voice representation scheme or anything? Or a student-staff committee? Either group should help you voice your concerns. Might also have the possibility of Impaired performance if this is actually just a lazy lecturer ?

While they obviously aren't expected to hold your hand.... simple things like the format etc of the exam should be communicated? Lecturers should at least be willing to walk to students about concerns with topics, even if they can't give exam hints.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, University is a pile of crap as no one gives you the help you need and some lecturers can be right b*******. The sad truth is that it seems to be the general example of life, everyone has to help themselves from now on.

In our Uni, all we got is three past papers and no marking scheme. I cheated a bit though, as we were given a mock paper for Chemistry over break, I had the cleverness to photocopy it before attempting and handing it in so I knew I had something else to attempt in the run up to exams. I am also hunting high and low online for papers too.

As for help with work, I plan to ask some postgraduates for help. I guess you should try that too.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Why not tell me how many marks the questions are? Or how it will be graded ?

I've got the knowledge that is what pisses me off. The exams are done like a trick. Its a joke tbh.

Obviously I have no idea what your particular course is like, but I always found the exams to be a perfectly fair test of whether or not you had learnt and understood the course content. Certainly no "tricks" involved.

Of course, there were always people asking increasingly desperate questions about what the questions were going to be on etc etc, generally because they hadn't done enough work through the year and knew they were going to struggle and were searching for a short cut.

University course delivery is generally about half way between A-level style "hands on" teaching and post-grad style independent research supervision, which is exactly as it should be.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know what is in the exam it makes you learn more, university is not simply about the exams, at A-level and GCSE people often get taught just enough to do the best they can in the exam, being to exam focused detracts from the real process of education. Instead of predicting what the questions will be you have to learn everything on the course as thoroughly as possible and read around it, then you will out-perform everyone else when you all get thrown an unexpected question.

And quit complaining about how much you are paying, its a fraction of the actual cost of your education.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, somebody's got used to not having to think for themselves.

University is not about getting a certain mark, it's about making sure that people know lots of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

OP, you're at university. At university, you won't be spoonfed. It's not about memorising what you need to for the exams, it's about learning a huge amount to last a lifetime.

YOU need to do the learning. THEY aren't going to do everything for you.

ReputationRep:
    University is about independent learning, not spoonfeeding.

See it as a preparation for real life. Nobody will tell you the 'marks" in real life.

ReputationRep:
    No past papers
    No past paper database
    No idea what the questions will be on
    I do everything myself, the learning finding the resources getting the books etc..
    Oh and don't ask a lecturer anything about the exam. They won't help you? :confused:
    Put up with the cockiness and don't ask a lecturer a question

Why am I paying over 3 thousand pounds for this? This is absolutely stupid. Surely we're past this gcse, a-level lets trick you in the exam and make you fail crap.

Going to lectures and seminars and doing essays and actively discussing theories not good enough for them?

I am completely mind dead at why they university would not help you with the exam. Why do they want me to fail?

Why dont you actually try to understand the subject matter rather than trying to wing it by learning exam questions. Learning how to take exams is not the same as learning the underlying subject.
    If you're going to a good university then they are very likely to spring surprises on you in the exam. Unlike A-levels you're expected to be able to handle unknown questions.

ReputationRep:
    I find that considering we pay to study and no one will ever pay to work, university could be helpful. I know many lecturers are only here for research with lecturing being a side dish. It takes a couple of emails for any direction in a certain module but other than one person, all the others are great for help. Past papers, mark schemes, revision sheets, everythings condensed well.

Sat an exam this morning though and was a bit raged that there was no where indicating how many marks a question was worth so sorta had to guess as to how much to write :o: That annoyed me

ReputationRep:
    OP, you're being a drama queen. Uni isn't about helping you get the best possible mark to boost the uni's scores. It's about giving you the information and expecting you to be ready for the exam. Lecturers can do little more than answer any specific queries you have, you can't expect them to actively help you any more than that.

There is a reason why so many people get top marks at GCSE and A level, and much less get top grades at uni. As long as everyone in the class is in the same boat, then you can't complain.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the real world boss.
    It sucks.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.