Turn on thread page Beta

WHAT the hell is this? University is ridiculous ! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeremy-Bentham)
    No past papers
    No past paper database
    No idea what the questions will be on
    I do everything myself, the learning finding the resources getting the books etc..
    Oh and don't ask a lecturer anything about the exam. They won't help you? :confused:
    Put up with the cockiness and don't ask a lecturer a question

Why am I paying over 3 thousand pounds for this? This is absolutely stupid. Surely we're past this gcse, a-level lets trick you in the exam and make you fail crap.

Going to lectures and seminars and doing essays and actively discussing theories not good enough for them?

I am completely mind dead at why they university would not help you with the exam. Why do they want me to fail?

ITT: "Baww, nobody holds my hand at university and I am scared."

ReputationRep:
    I guess you're just unlucky.

Combining my University and the course I'm on, it's pretty good for all the things you just mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    i completely agree. we dont even get told what textbooks to use and they ask any question about the topic in the exams. For example we learnt about cancer last term...we had three lectures on it and one essay about what defines cancer. The question in the exam-they named a drug used to treat cancer and asked how it works

ReputationRep:
    Lol same here, though more because they tend to reuse the odd question, solution: group off people remeber a few questions from each exam and circulate them, no physical papers but the questions still there.
    Ways around any system provided you are willing to think.

Uni is not meant to be easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -XxX-)
    i completely agree. we dont even get told what textbooks to use and they ask any question about the topic in the exams. For example we learnt about cancer last term...we had three lectures on it and one essay about what defines cancer. The question in the exam-they named a drug used to treat cancer and asked how it works
    I hate it when they do that, did it with HIV for us, though we only had one lecture on it and had to name and explain the actions of 3 drugs which acted on different target sites. That was ******.

ReputationRep:
    No past papers
    No past paper database
    I do everything myself, the learning finding the resources getting the books etc..
    Oh and don't ask a lecturer anything about the exam. They won't help you? :confused:

Why am I paying over 3 thousand pounds for this? This is absolutely stupid. Surely we're past this gcse, a-level lets trick you in the exam and make you fail crap.

Going to lectures and seminars and doing essays and actively discussing theories not good enough for them?

I am completely mind dead at why they university would not help you with the exam. Why do they want me to fail?

At uni it's more about knowing and understanding than it is about memorizing.

"I do everything myself, the learning finding the resources getting the books etc.." - Well it's not like someone is going to do it for you.....

The lecturer isn't exactly going to tell what's on an exam......doing so would allow you to memorize stuff.
    Of course it should be based on the stuff you have actually studied during your module but it may also include other areas where the advantage would be given to people who have studied outside the prescribed course work.

Your lecturers/tutors should have office hours and if you want them to listen to you, you should talk t them there.

ReputationRep:
    OP you are unlucky, we get past exam papers. We also find out if any specific topics have been excluded from what could be examinable. Now to be honest, I like the way they do it here. I understand my subject matter perfectly, the problem I find is just memorizing it all when I need it. But I guess it varies from person to person...

ReputationRep:
    You've obviously been coddled by the UK secondary school system of being 'taught to the test'.

Well, university isn't like that. They won't teach you how to pass a test. They'll teach you the subject matter that the test will cover. The rest is up to you. Deal with it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    We have access to past papers, but nothing else, which is pretty standard to be honest. Even then, however, past papers are often useless since nearly every year the course syllabus and lecturer changes.

University is all about independent learning and pretty much knowing your syllabus fully without exception. Yes, it may seem annoying that you have to do so much work on your own, and then are on your own again for the exam, but alas, c'est la vie.

Just know everything covered in lectures and be able to do any assignments given throughout the semester, and then pray.
    Agreed, looking at past paper often incurs stress because you realise you haven't covered half of the topics but then realise you covered other ones. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    You've obviously been coddled by the UK secondary school system of being 'taught to the test'.

Well, university isn't like that. They won't teach you how to pass a test. They'll teach you the subject matter that the test will cover. The rest is up to you. Deal with it...
    This pretty much sums it up, OP.

ReputationRep:
    I'm independent but then if I'm independent sometimes I wonder why I even go to lectures. All they do is read over the notes on a shallow level meaning I have to go over it and do proper reading.
    [/B]
    I don't know what course you're doing but I've gone to about 20% of my lectures and am doing fine. The lectures really irritate me so I stopped going. Plus my only timetabled lecture now is a film screening.

Basically I'm paying for a library card and a shiny piece of paper at the end of it. Alas that is what uni is.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help as I'm not at university yet, but I can say that I feel the same and I'm in year thirteen. Half of the time teachers don't even turn up, however you just have to get on with it unfortunately.

The main reason why I came to this thread was to say kudos on your screen name. Jeremy Bentham (L)

ReputationRep:
    University better not be anything like the OP described :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    This is the result of successive governments turning students into customers rather than scholars. You've paid your £3k+ so why isn't the university doing everything in it can to 'deliver' the right result?

Learning (the hard way) how to think, research and write for yourself, in an independent and individual manner, doesn't seem to matter. It's all about getting that 2:1 (where a 2:2 is a 'waste of money' and a 1st is cautioned against lest you come across as too studious, too intellectual for the workplace) so that you can get on with the 'real' business of getting a decent return on your investment, becoming a good little consumer, with all the right trappings.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun.

ReputationRep:
    No past papers
    No past paper database
    Welcome to the world of university and independent learning. And trust me past papers do not help if you're an Arts student given there are no mark schemes either.

Oh and now you realise how pathetic A-levels are at preparing students for degree work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Oh dear.

OP, you're at university. At university, you won't be spoonfed. It's not about memorising what you need to for the exams, it's about learning a huge amount to last a lifetime.

YOU need to do the learning. THEY aren't going to do everything for you.
    I say something childish.

ReputationRep:
    But then I get an exam I have no knowledge on and I don't know it's structure. Tell me how this is fair?
    Because, presumably, if you're studying everything there is to know about your subject, you SHOULD be able to answer any question asked of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)

True say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Because, presumably, if you're studying everything there is to know about your subject, you SHOULD be able to answer any question asked of you.
    I get you now. Fair point.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.